Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Civic 1.8 VTI

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2003, 10:29 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I am hoping to have a test drive in one of these shortly so anything to look for?
Not the same as the Scooby I know, but they are still fairly nippy and wont cost a fortune to run.
Ta
mark
Old 01 March 2003, 03:05 AM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

ur better of with the 1.6 vti as they're made in japan. The 1.8vti are uk built based on the rover.
Old 01 March 2003, 09:26 AM
taylor
Scooby Regular

I would agree with kenny, the 1.6 is faster, revs better, sounds better and handles better. I found the 1.8 to be a real dissapointment.
Old 01 March 2003, 09:37 AM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 1.8 VTi is not based on a Rover !

The Rover 45 is based on the 5 door Civic. The 1.8 VTi is assembled in Swindon by Honda with an engine that is built in Japan.

However I agree that the 1.6 3-Door is a nicer car but not as big.
Old 01 March 2003, 05:06 PM
Colonel Mullet
Scooby Regular

On the test drive, don't forget to rev the knackers off it - not a lot happens under 6000rpm. It will quite happily rev through the red line - you need to do this to keep it in the VTEC zone if you're changing up whilst pressing on a bit... 70 in second gear is always good for a laugh.

The 5-door 1.8 has a nicer interior and super-comfortable ride but has less sporty handling than the 3-door 1.6. It is not noticeably slower and offers 'more car for your money' than the 1.6 - so it all depends on what you want really.

And forget all the rubbish about it being a Rover - yes, it is the 'sister' car to the 400/45 but build quality is up to the usual Honda standard.

Old 01 March 2003, 06:09 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the comments guys. I have driven a 3 door which was quick if thrashed, but I need something bigger. Might even go for the areodeck now there are 4 of us.
Mark
Old 01 March 2003, 06:11 PM
max55uk
Scooby Regular

i had a P reg'd 1.8 vti, and was very dissapointed the v-tech hardly puts you back, if compared to the 1.6.

If you want a bit of luxury then the 1.8, but if you want an erection then definatley the 1.6 vti,

pays your money takes your choice
Old 01 March 2003, 08:14 PM
Colonel Mullet
Scooby Regular

Personally, I don't need the assistance of a 1.6 engine to gain an erection. But hey, whatever floats your boat...

The VTEC kick on the 1.8 is probably less pronounced, but then it's already pulling better lower down to start with.

Aerodecks are cool, 8500rpm in an estate car!
Old 02 March 2003, 03:54 AM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

thing I don't miss about the honda is the road noise, god it was awfull.

still its a good motor.
Old 02 March 2003, 03:40 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Smile

Got a test drive booked for Monday so I will let you know what I think. Trader wants £6.5k cash for a T plate with 22k miles. Sound reasonable?? or do you think I can get him lower.
Ta
Old 02 March 2003, 04:40 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure there is any real difference in performance between the 3dr 1.6 and 5dr 1.8 - the 3dr feels quicker because it is awful pre Vtec (and therefore the Vtec seems better) the 1.8 has much better low down torque which means the 'kick' is less noticeable.

1.8 is also higher geared than the 1.6.

The price you've been given seems about right for dealers at the moment, but you never know you may get a decent amount off.
Old 02 March 2003, 06:50 PM
Colonel Mullet
Scooby Regular

That price sounds OK to me - I paid £7k last year for an R-Reg Vti-S with slightly higher miles. This was over-the-odds even though the car was mint, but I needed to chop in my MY97 Scoob urgently so I was never going to be in a great bargaining position

I'd say it's worth going for £6k if you're paying cash - I don't think there's a huge market for these cars so you could probably bargain quite hard. Especially if it's red or white.

A few negatives to consider (and maybe help with bargaining):

Insurance is pretty steep at Group 15 IIRC. But then it is 167bhp I suppose. Fuel economy is not as great as you might expect; 25-30mpg.

Kenny's point about road noise is worth bearing in mind. The engine can get a little boomy at 80mph, so if you can try a high-speed run on the test drive then do it. It's nothing unbearable or anything you can't get used to but if you're doing a lot of motorway miles then it may be an issue.

Finally, depending on what you're used to driving at the moment, the steering will probably feel ****e - way too many turns lock-to-lock. I think this is what spoils the 'performance' feel at first, although you do get used to it.
Old 02 March 2003, 07:24 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for that. It is red and it has been on the forecourt for months so I will start at 6k and work upwards. Not bothered about the noise, my old scooby was not exactly quiet with a magnex back box on!
Was hoping for better fuel economy though. Must be better than the scooby ?
Old 02 March 2003, 07:47 PM
Colonel Mullet
Scooby Regular

Economy is definitely better than the Scoob, just not like the official figures (32mpg IIRC)

I used to get around 200-250 miles from about 50 litres in the Scoob whereas the Civic sees 300+ from the same sort of amount (although it's really the wife's car, so the driving may be less 'spirited').
Old 04 March 2003, 12:08 AM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well I took it for a test drive and thought it was OK. Nothing like the Scoob but I've done that and its time to move on. Only thing I didn't like was the steering, not sporty at all and will take some getting used to. One thing I noticed was that there was a lot of oxidation covering the outside of the engine - is this normal?
Managed to get them down to £6350 which I think is a good price so hopefully will pick her up on Thursday. No more Optimax worries now!
Mark
Old 05 March 2003, 05:57 PM
Colonel Mullet
Scooby Regular

Engine on mine was suspiciously clean but I reckon it had been polished up by the dealer. It's a Honda, so you shouldn't be opening the bonnet that much to see it anyway...

Sounds like you got a decent price in the end. Enjoy!
Old 05 March 2003, 06:03 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

It's a Honda, so you shouldn't be opening the bonnet that much to see it anyway...

except to check the oil diligently if you're using all the revs regularly.
Old 03 May 2003, 08:43 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I bought a 1.8 aerodeck about a month ago.

I had a 1.6 VTI a while ago and i was a fantastic Q car, had it 'off the clock' a 8.5RPM 'racing a Lancia evo and suprised him a bit.
The 1.8 VTI is a great Q car, it is annonymous so plod and car thieves tend to leave it alone.

I prefer the 1.8 as it has torque which the 1.6 does not really have.

the 1.8's have an LSD which helps with traction although you do get a bit of torque steer!

seen 140mph (indicated) but not flat out!

The honda engine is unbustable and will go on forever as long as serviced, they get beter with age the more mile you pile on the better the engine gets.

I recon they are a great car for the money.

try
http://www.hondaforums.co.uk/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=6
and
http://rachael.houghton.users.btopenworld.com/frames.htm

getting around 32mpg averrage mpg

good underrated car

when test driving rev the **** off of it, power between 5-8.5rpm, it may feel a bit odd to do but you soon get used to it. The engine can take it 'till the cows come home, they are over engineered to do so. feels hi revving buts thats how they are made!

mail me if you want to talk further

all the best

Paul

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 3/5/2003 8:46:32 PM]