Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Hamann Mini Cooper

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2003, 04:35 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

I am having the wheels on the Impreza painted and the garage (friend of mine's business) has lent me a new Mini Cooper (not the S) for a few days.

Car has the "Hamann" conversion - springs/spoilers/wheels and has got the best steering feel on a car I have experienced in a long time.

My God, these cars are such good fun - driving everywhere with a silly grin on my face!

Richard
Old 28 January 2003, 01:15 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know what you mean. I was fortunate to have a Cooper S for all of last Friday as a test drive form my local dealer. Amazing fun. Am now thinking of getting a Hartge S as a replacement to the P1. The Mini was like a go kart and then getting back in the P1 the steering felt very light with little feedback. Although the grunt on full acceleration is something to behold on the Subaru
Old 28 January 2003, 01:33 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

I'm looking at getting the Hartge upgrade in July for my Cooper S, it's fun at the mo, but I need a bit more grunt, 215BHP should tide me over for a while!
I look for any excuse to go for a spin since I got my MINI in July!

Andy
Old 28 January 2003, 04:49 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Andy and Paul,

The Cooper I have the use of is "standard" engine and running gear, but the suspension has made the handling fantastic (although standard care set up is very good).

I will be very interested in the Hartge conversions - let me know what you think!

Richard
Old 28 January 2003, 05:01 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a mate who builds these and he brought a works one for me to take for a spin and I thought it was superb I didn't like the brake feel because of the abs but apart from that it was pretty cool.

Paul
Old 29 January 2003, 12:12 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Cool

Richard, no problem. Have now decided to get a Mini....P1 for sale, low mileage, WR spec, any takers!
Old 29 January 2003, 12:14 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Ah Paul, is it you that's started the insurance thread on MINI2?

Andy
Old 29 January 2003, 09:09 PM
mnangrybeats
Scooby Regular

Mine goes into Birds uk for the Hartge conversion the 10th of Feb, getting some 328mm Stop-Tech brakes fitted also..will be 185bhp/ton after the conversion I aim to get over 200bhp/ton after a few more mods..The Hartge conversion is 210-215hp however that is without Exhaust / Induction Kit / Manifold / Head etc etc 240hp is possible without that much problems apparently.

The Cooper S handles really well straight out of the box however like most cars can be improved. The Rear Anti Roll bar is a must do mod, by increasing the diameter of the spring steel of the anti roll bar you more or less eliminate understeer and get far less body roll...

H&R springs are also a worthwhile addition 25% stiffer and lowers the car a little too.

[Edited by mnangrybeats - 1/29/2003 9:12:29 PM]
Old 30 January 2003, 09:41 AM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

CooperS it most certainly is me

Got use the great resources available!

Mnangrybeats, from what I have read, I agree about the 240Bhp. I would be looking for very similar mods to yourself and am just catching up on suspension settings etc. for the MCS.
My only concern would be the reliability at 240Bhp from a 1598cc engine.
Has anyone actually given a driving review on a post Hartge conversion? Everyone seems to just be commenting on the collateral and media comments.

[Edited by PaulMc - 1/30/2003 9:46:39 AM]
Old 30 January 2003, 05:26 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Richard,
Any piccies mate please?
Cheers
Colin
Old 30 January 2003, 05:28 PM
mnangrybeats
Scooby Regular

The latest EVO mag has reviewed it..gave it five stars

Spoke to Kevin Bird at Birds.uk.com at length today. Birds do the Hartge conversion in the UK and the TUV specification that German tuners have to confirm to is very strict and reliablity is not an issue.

There are American tuners who are just altering the diameter of the supercharger pulley, make it spin faster for more psi..thing is Hartge do it correctly buy altering the fuel map in the ECU providing more fuel etc..Kevin reackoned that just the pulley change would make the engine run very lean when maintaining a high speed run etc. and piston melt could happen..

If done properley dont see why 240hp would not be reliable..

AmD worth a look too, got loads of Cooper S tuning products coming out.