Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

xk8 or 330ci

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2003, 10:10 AM
andy_w
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm thinking of getting rid of my MY00 turbo soon and getting something a bit more up-market. Still want decent performance, but also a bit of luxury, and less of the 'boy racer' image the the scooby seems to have developed. I've got a 2-year old son, and another arriving soon so I need to be able to get kids in the back seat. My budget will be around £20K. Currently leaning towards either a 2-3 year old BMW 330Ci or an early Jag XK8. Would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has owned either (or both!).

Cheers,
Andy
Old 10 January 2003, 10:50 AM
Marc W
Scooby Regular

Andy

I had a 330ci earlier this year after my MY98 Uk turbo went back.

Things I liked:

- Lovely engine
- Gorgeous looking outside and inside IMHO
- Quality build
- Good mpg on long drives
- Perfect car for driving on nice fast sweeping roads such as in France (and Scotland?)
- Very inexspensive to run - servicing every 15,000 or so miles
- getting used to unessential gadgets like dimming mirror, rear sensors, auto wipers, etc
- fantastic stereo
- didn't get any 'BMW drivers are w*nkers' nonsense

Things I disliked:

- Too wallowy - you MUST get the Sport version
- Traction control too intrusive
- Black PITA to keep clean
- Gorgeous 18" wheels an even bigger PITA to keep clean
- Sports seats very unsupportive - in fact i got back ache quite quickly from them - much better now I'm back in the Scoob
- Engine stalled very easily - very low torque low down - a pain when driving a manual box around London
- couldn't fit two bar without cutting rear valance

Overall it was a great car but I sold it due to moving property and replaced it with another classic Scoob and buy the time I'd gone round the first roundabout I had a massive grin on my face, something the BM never did. A much more capable car all round than the Scoob but no-where near as much fun.

Cheers

Marc

Old 10 January 2003, 11:11 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Went for a test drive in an XK8 but I didn't even make it out of the dealership. I was too tall (6'3")
Old 10 January 2003, 11:11 AM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

I have a 330ci, lovely car, it is quick once it is up and running, good on juice, lovely engine. Don't get a XK8 unless you are over 50, won' be as much fun to drive. Regardless of what some people will say, 330ci is good fun once you learn the cars limits.
Old 10 January 2003, 11:24 AM
andy_w
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys.

No, I'm not over 50! But I've always thought the XK8 was a great looking car - are they really that bad to drive?

To be honest, the 330 is the hot favourite at the moment, but the XK8 is a bit of a wildcard. I love the looks of the Jag, but not so sure about the wood trim/steering wheel and it's auto only. What is the deal with the J-Gate box?

cheers,
Andy
Old 10 January 2003, 11:24 AM
Marc W
Scooby Regular

Cool

PS what about trying a 3.0 Sport Jag X-type as a Scoob/330/XK8 compromise!?!
Old 10 January 2003, 11:49 AM
I_dont_giveafvk
Scooby Regular

the Jag is a class motor - the Bimmer will be low rent once people like me get hold of it and stick alloys spoilers and ICE init

get the Jag
Old 10 January 2003, 11:49 AM
Tommy 2000
Scooby Regular

A guy I know had loads of problems with an early XK8 and ended up having a new engine under warranty!

The Jag is a cruiser, a 330 Sport would be more reliable, more fun to drive and far 'cooler'!
Old 10 January 2003, 11:54 AM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

Pics of my car here
http://www.tyresmoke.net/gallery/album27
Old 10 January 2003, 12:09 PM
andy_w
Scooby Regular

Marc W, I have considered the 3.0 X-type sport, but I just think it's a bit boring. I do like the idea of keeping 4WD - maybe if they made an X-type coupe

cheers,
Andy
Old 10 January 2003, 01:10 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

XK8 no contest. Jag's special BMW is low rent in comparison and 10 a penny.
Old 10 January 2003, 01:20 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ever contemplated a 3-4 year old E36/E55 AMG Merc. Now they are a class act
Old 10 January 2003, 01:25 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Tommy 2K my boss's first XJR V8 had a new engine fitted under warranty, apparently some component was not to the correct tolerances & it was easier to do a complete engine change. My boss didn't even notice anything wrong, they just changed the engine when the took it in for it's second service.
Old 10 January 2003, 04:04 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

If we are talking about other things available then as a 330ci owner I would suggest a PORSCHE 993 if you can get a decent one, these cars **** all over any jag or BMW, go on forever and never age.
Old 10 January 2003, 04:42 PM
andy_w
Scooby Regular

I would love a Porsche 993. Unfortunately a decent RHD one is probably 27-28K or more, which is out of my price range, and also they're not very practical - e.g. I play golf, and I think the only way to get golf clubs in a 993 is in the back seat.
I also considered a Boxster, which has a decent boot and can just about take 2 sets of golf clubs, but with no back seats it's no use for kids!

Any other suggestions?
Old 10 January 2003, 05:22 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Having gone from a tuned MY99 to a 330d to a ML430, I can more than understand the pull of a 'bit of luxury'.

Yes, you loose the raw, grin everytime you drive it feeling you get with the Impreza, but...and a big BUT, you gain so much more. Nowadays, you can't drive an impreza to anything like it's full potential, and so most of the time it is a compromised, uncomfortable noisy commuting/shopping/family car.

With a big V8 luxo-barge you get a fully loaded, very comfortable, solid reliable car...and by going a couple of years old you get so much car for the money.

My 2.5 yr old ML cost me less than my MY99 PPP did 3.5 years ago yet boasts a near-300bhp V8, electric bloody everything, in-law impressing like nothing else this side of a Bentley, the comfort (and space) of a living room, massively reduced running costs and 80% of the time it is as quick as any other car (trolling up and down the motorway, driving in traffic, sat in queues) except I sit in leather-lined, air-conditioned, 10-speaker-BOSE-stereo'd comfort, with a vista above everyone else's roof. I can also take 5 pals golfing and fit all 6 golf bags and trolleys in the car.

Granted for the rare times you can actually 'drive' the car, it is left wanting in everything except straight line grunt, but if I want the raw thrills, I just get the Westfield out which shows what real performance is

Also, don't be put off with an Auto box. With a torquey V8 engine, an auto is by far the best option - there is no manual for a reason Having had autos for 2 years now, they is no way I would go back to a manual for anything other than a weekend/performance car. If, for some strange reason, you miss manually changing a gear, most V8s will come with a trip/steptronic option to allow you to play 'manual'. As my S-Class driving uncle said 10 years ago, "why do yourself what a machine can do better - would you rather wash up than use a dishwasher"

Go and drive the XK8, beautiful car, a different class to a 3-series and impreza. I know a couple of people who have picked up decent XK8 (and XKRs) for less than the cost of a well specc'd Mondeo

Alternatives? The E55/M5 is a good suggestion, also an Audi A8 4.2 (or even S8/S6), Jag S-Type 4.0 Sport, 540i, 740/750i, Merc S-class.....pretty much anything with a V8 will be cracking value at 3 years old.
Old 10 January 2003, 05:56 PM
brett555
Scooby Regular

XK all the way , early XK's and XJ's had engine problems. My mum got rid of her XKR last year and simply that was amazing car ... wonderful ... my dad has an XJR and again , wonderful car... even so he is getting the new 400 bhp one in feb ... which again im looking forward to .. (hehehe)

Even the XK8 is a fairly quick car , luxorious and comfortable ...

brett
Old 10 January 2003, 08:30 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

My boss has a XK8 after always having BMW's, he has had nothing but trouble with the XK8 since he bought it.
Over the past few days he has been looking to replace the jag and looked at porkers but has ended up buying a BMW 330 and he would never go back to Jag..that im sure

Andy
Old 13 January 2003, 02:05 AM
MR2 Rob
Scooby Regular

are you insane? Get an xK8 - its beautiful and its a Jag. BMW's are good cars obviously but boring as hell and common compared to the Jag. There are BM's all over the place at the moment and they all look the same.
Old 13 January 2003, 03:02 AM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

I have driven both and I would go for teh BM any day of the week!

XK is a nice car - inside is a bit 'woody'. If you have driven a scoob, you will hate the cornering - its a barge! The back seats are next to useless, so don't get it for these - an adult cannot get their legs behnd the drivers seat. The XK excels at long motorway cruising.

But the XK is for 50yrs and upwards - seriously. Next time you are out, just check out the average ages!!

The BM - it is a much more sporty drive, and although the DSC IS intrusive on (non-M3) 3 series, you can switch the thing off! The engine is fantastic, the build quality is on a different planet to the Jag.
Old 13 January 2003, 09:24 AM
andy_w
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the opinions - keep them coming.
Not really interested in a big car like an Audi A8 - prefer something a bit more sporty.
All the talk of V8's got me to thinking about a Merc CLK 430 - these seem to be available from around 20K. Anyone had any experience with CLKs?

cheers,
Andy
Old 13 January 2003, 05:20 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

CLK 430 is nice, but quite rare. Quick (same engine as in mine, lot less weight), nice V8 soundtrack. IIRC more 430 convertibles were sold than coupe's, and these have had values propped up.

The drive is OK, but only OK. It is a bit barge like (again unless you go AMG suspension...££££££) which in an e-class, m-class, XK8, etc etc you expect and it sorts of fits, but in a small sporty coupe, it doesn't

For me, the old CLK whilst a beautiful car when launched, has not aged well. Parked next to one a month or so ago, and was stunned how dated it suddenly looked. Granted with full AMG kit (a la CLK55) it looks better, but that's serious money
Old 14 January 2003, 02:39 PM
dominicm
Scooby Regular

I haven't got a XK8 but I do own a 1999 XJR saloon...which has proven to be the most unreliable car I have ever owned!!! I purchased the car 16 months ago and since then I have had 2 new engines, new front brakes as the car had the wrong disc's fitted by Jaguar and at the moment it is have a new heater matrix fitted!

The 2 engines both took over 3 weeks to fit, the brakes took 1 week and so far the heater has taken 6 weeks, it has spent a total of 14 weeks in the garage.

The other issue is the aftersales which has been shocking, worse than Lotus if you can believe it. This is at a London Main Dealer, it took me 5 weeks, about 30 phone calls and a lot of shouting to get a courtesy car!!!!

Get the BMW...I would!

Dom.

Old 01 October 2003, 05:04 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

[Edited by GaryC - 1/10/2003 5:23:00 PM]