Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jag XK8 or WRX - which would YOU choose?

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2002, 11:00 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hi all - Just watched 5th Gear and listened with interest to my Idol Quinten Wilson. He pointed out that you could get a Jaguar XK8 for Focus money - got me thinking and I found this one:-

------------------------------------------------------------------

1997 P JAGUAR XK8 COUPE
1997 P , A magnificent sight! Finished in one of the most stunning colour schemes this XK8 looks gorgeous in Antigua Blue metallic with Oatmeal leather and Classic burr walnut interior. Equipped with climate controlled air conditioning, electric seats, alloy wheels, traction control, driver and passenger airbags, cd autochanger etc. The car has covered 98,000 miles and is offered with main dealer full service history in beautiful condition throughout. Spectacular value, £18995.
------------------------------------------------------------------

NOW, at 20mpg - £300/Service - Expensive Insurance - its around the same ownership costs as an Impreza Turbo ...... which, of course, doesnt have the class, walnut, leather, traction etc.

So?? what would you REALLY rather have?? a newish Scooby or that Jag??

I am 72 so the oppulence of the Jaguar appeals tremendously

Any thoughts?

Pete
Old 20 May 2002, 11:01 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intresting.
and a set of golf clubs in the boot

steve
wrx ppp , for the moment
Old 20 May 2002, 11:29 PM
MrDeference
Scooby Regular

Funny. I heard the standard one was pretty average, but there is one with bigger alloys, forced induction and some funny bonnet decoration that is the one to go for...

At 72, I should say it's perfect for you...
Old 20 May 2002, 11:44 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Pete, you know you really want the Jag... go on, get one - please!

Ken
Old 20 May 2002, 11:49 PM
Kingsize K2
Scooby Regular

Pete,

Why not go for the XK8 and put some Gold Wheels on it. That way you'll get the best of both worlds

I love my Scoob, but a loaded XK8... tempting... Shame an R isn't in the budget!
Old 21 May 2002, 12:09 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
I'd rather have this
Old 21 May 2002, 01:14 AM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

i have a scoob, but my missus works at a jaguar dealership. IF you can i would get a jag mate, they are the muts nuts!

gotta love quentin, he sure knows how to get people thinking! I even considered it for a moment, but i'll save the jag til i'm a little older!

Besides, you can prob knock a grand from the price advertised!
Old 21 May 2002, 09:58 AM
Somerset Yokel
Scooby Regular

Red face

I am not sure that a Jag XK8 would look very good towing though Pete!!!!!

What would your new club do - the SISI club - It needs a president you know!
Old 21 May 2002, 10:03 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Cool

Maybe my next buy but would like the new S type 4.4 litre.
Cheers
Colin
Old 21 May 2002, 11:10 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

don't know about XK8 performance but the XKR (supercharged one) is fappin awesome!!!
Old 21 May 2002, 11:22 AM
mik
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Pete, I've searched in vain to find a factory-fit gold wheel option for the XK8.

And I think it comes with A/C.

Maybe not the car for you after all....
Old 21 May 2002, 11:56 AM
Osama Mc Donalds
Scooby Regular

LOL at Thread,

If you have ever driven an XK8 you would laugh too .

Main points (bad points) of the XK8 are 4.0 Litre V8 2WD with NO Turbo therefore much slower than a WRX Trust me.

Leaving the price out which is important you are compairing Japanese 4WD technology with an English old mans car. An XK8 should not really be compaired to the WRX.

IMHO Even an XKR which is faster than the XK8 can not be compaired to a WRX, there are too many differences to draw an equal comparison . Both have a top speed of around 155mph and that's about it.

Even if it was the other way around an old WRX V's a new Jaguar I would choose the Impreza, you can't beat the WRX handling and 4WD on a wet or back road no jaguar comes close not even the XJ220 .

Do yourself a favour and buy the WRX!

[Edited by Osama Mc Donalds - 5/21/2002 6:00:01 PM]
Old 21 May 2002, 01:04 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Jack

The E Type may look the Muts, but have you ever driven one? Very fast (if well maintained), but the brakes and handling are not up to the speed of the car. Also, it you are 6' or over you need to have the 2+2 (ugly) or the Roadster (even better looking than the Coupe IMHO).

Duncan

PS. Far more fun .....

PPS. Osama - Autocar used to do an annual track test at Silverstone to find the best handling car, and a few years ago the XKR was second (to the Ferrari 465) handsomly beating a P1 and an EVO6. Having said that it was with race drivers on a fast, wide, and grippy track.

[Edited by BugEyed - 5/21/2002 1:10:43 PM]
Old 21 May 2002, 01:30 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

Osama,

Go drive an XKR before knocking em. I tried one round a track and it would hammer a WRX on acceleration anywhere up to top speed.

Granted I doubt it would corner as well in the wet
Old 21 May 2002, 06:08 PM
Osama Mc Donalds
Scooby Regular

Evo 6 must of been some driver in the XKR and some crap driver in the Evo LOL

I don't doubt your comments but surely the Nissan Skyline GTR 32, 33 and 34 are undoubtedly the worlds best handling cars still.

I know that around a track the GTR33 will beat a Ferrari 355 and Ferrari 550 no probs, as proven by Jeremy Clarkson on TV

As said before on other posts drive both and buy which ever car you feel is best for you m8,

Osama
Old 21 May 2002, 07:10 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Mr Lewis, may I recommend that you opt for the opulance of the Jaguar. In that way we can be rid of you for good as you will be posting your flatulant remarks on the Jaguar BBS. Best Wishes...Blutes (68 years young)
Old 21 May 2002, 07:23 PM
Pieman2
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've driven both extensively - very different cars indeed.
Scooby owners would find the Jag turn-in somewhat vague and remote, even with the optional Sports suspension. But that V8 sounds great. Not really comparative cars in any sense.
Old 21 May 2002, 07:26 PM
lumby
Scooby Regular

My dad has an XKR and its quick , I use it quite often however whilst my old 93 WRX would struggle in a straight line against it my STI4 is as quick,if not quicker off the mark and i would say level pegging all the way to 100 mph.After 100mph the XKR does have the edge .All in IMHO

With the XKR being automatic it doesnt have the same punch off the line . That said its very very quick , but too big for my liking.

lumby
Old 21 May 2002, 07:26 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

The Supra from the Fast and the Furious.

If I was more matured, I would get a jag. But as I'm still a young lad, I'll stick to Evos and Scoobies for now. I'm only um, 18.
Old 21 May 2002, 10:00 PM
KNOWLESY 3
Scooby Newbie

Wink

My old man had the XKR coupe, though when he took my scoob down to Kent, he found his youth again (& put 3 stone chips in my bonnet!). Though he loved every minute..........

However, he is getting on & enjoys his creature comforts & the Jag certainly provided that!!!! Therefore thr jag is really the old persons scoob, & the young mistresses toy!
Old 21 May 2002, 10:44 PM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

My dad would choose the Jag, I would go for an OLD version WRX of the import variety or a WRX STI 7 of the again import variety.

If the E-type however was in the equation then I am sure I would have more fun cornering in it

Michelle
Old 21 May 2002, 10:59 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Talking

Interesting points - apart from the usual 'dick-4-brains' calling for my head

I have an Impreza already, BUT what about P/EXing it in for a Jag?? I would buy a boring 'normal' car like a BMW M3 to tow with

What other choices are there? I want my luxuries now, I am tired of fast cars (Which I have been driving for longer than most on here have been alive!!) Merc? BMW? at about £20k? My sister has a Rolls Royce - but thats a bit too 'in-yer-face' for me!!

Pete

Old 21 May 2002, 11:21 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hmmm a Merc with gold wheels would suit you
Old 21 May 2002, 11:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Talking

HA HA HA HA imagine a REAL MANS car with Gold Wheels???

VERY few cars have sported Gold Wheels - it was very 90's - it is NOT cool now!!

Pete
Old 22 May 2002, 08:44 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, really good question Mr Lewis! (ohmigod, I need a drink!)

A friend has a new XKR, and it is simply a stunning car. he likens it to an exceedingly comfortable armchair with a rocket up its ****, which seems about right. He's gone for the optional 19" wheel upgrade (not gold ) and the car looks absolutely wonderful. Immense presence.

The other weekend we were driving in north yorkshire on some great roads. The car really can hustle, but in a different way to the impreza - this car just wafts no matter how hard you drive it. Or at least, no matter how hard you want to drive a 60k car that's two months old...

It is exceedingly comfortable for long journeys, and incredibly well put together. I would bet that even an old model will give nary a squeak from the interior.

And the stereo is quite superb. I used to be into soundoffs (oh the shame!) and this factory fit job would have won competitions a few years back. It's that good.

Horses for courses. It's telling that my mate went from a boxter to the XK8 because he wanted something fast, relaxing and able to eat miles in absolute comfort. It's not a car to grab by the ***** and throw around, unlike the Impreza, but it's a different proposition.

Would I have one in place of the scoob? Not at the moment, as I enjoy the "drive it like it's meant to be driven" approach. It's in yer face, it's exhilarating. The Jag is much more "we'll get there damn quick in a very understated way..."

when I grow up though...

Good thread!
Old 22 May 2002, 08:07 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Mr Lewis, I would like to ask you one question, as I believe, like me you are a senior citizen. What did you do for a living ? If I have "a dick for brains" why did I manage to accumulate enough wealth to buy a large detached house in London AND a retirement cottage in Wiltshire, along with as many foreign holidays as I like to take ? Probably because I worked hard for a living using my "dick brains" Looks like a case of if the truth hurts....Lots of love Blutes
Old 22 May 2002, 08:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Talking

Bluto - I didnt say anything about YOU having 'Dick-4-brains' ........ BUT you obviously find that the cap fits quite snuggly - I will say no more than that as you have done the damage yourself!!

I always find that those who boast have very little to boast about - some on here know my Skilled Occupation, I doubt very much whether you could come close

Anyway - back to the thread, I reckon the Jag at the same price as a Scoobie has got to be worth a look see?!

Pete
Old 22 May 2002, 09:32 PM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

some on here know my Skilled Occupation
It is obvious in every post darling
Old 22 May 2002, 09:55 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

Mr Lewis, if I was boasting you WOULD know about it. I never realised for a moment I was boasting, to me, these things are "normal" and I don't consider them to be anything but. I trust that the skills you are referring to are "making annoying and self gratifying remarks that basically prove to everyone what a shameless fool you are". I came to this BBS for meaningful discussion with enthusiasts NOT to be bored by halfhearted petty critisms of fellow Subaru enthusiasts motor cars (i.e gold wheels).
I also tried to inject some humour in the process...Sleep tight..Blutes
Old 22 May 2002, 10:04 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

By the way, pot calling the kettle black. You "boast" about buying an M3 or "trading in the Subaru for a (whisper it...)BMW". I rest my case. I have never tried to express my wealth through a depreciating lump of metal otherwise known as a motor car. That is why I spent some loose change on a Forester S Turbo....Blutes

Quick Reply: Jag XK8 or WRX - which would YOU choose?