Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Swapping the Impreza :(

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2002, 12:11 PM
Merc_Cosworth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've got one in the pool at work...

Even those in the firm who know nowt about cars avoid it like the plague.

From a Scoob to one of those would be like comparing Keith Floyd to Ronald McDonald.

Words:

Soggy
Slow
Heavy
Uncomfortable

And they handle like a barge - understeer ahoy.

Nasty scrabble wagons, best avoided, make no mistake

(apologies for any golf owners I offend, but thats my humble opinion)

But... I've only ever owned RWD or 4WD performance cars, so almost all common or garden production 'cookers' attract this sort of praise from me.

[Edited by Merc_Cosworth - 12/11/2002 12:14:34 PM]
Old 11 December 2002, 09:52 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

I know this has been done to death recently but I dont care

I am seriously considering selling my Impreza for one of the new shape Golf Diesels. I am looking at either the PD 130 or 150.

Has anyone got experience of going from an Impreza to one of these - would you recommend it, do you wish you hadn't, that sort of thing. From what I can gather I should be looking for one with the sports suspension pack as they dont handle to well as standard. Also, is there difference between a chipped 130 and a standard 150 - i.e. will the fuel consumption shoot up if I get a 130 chipped?

My main reason for swapping is I cant justify the huge costs of running an Impreza, esepcially as I use it for a 50 mile motorway commute each day, and never really get to enjoy it just stuck at 65.

Cheers for any advice.

Sub97
Old 11 December 2002, 10:17 AM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Have you looked at any of the diesel Peugeots (spl)? we've had 405 / 406s for years... as a company car it they are in the lower tax bracket - Paul has a turbo 406 and it's pretty quick at top speeds and plus gets nearly 700 miles to a tank - now that's economical!!

406 isn't the only diesel they do - well worth a look.

P
Old 11 December 2002, 10:26 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Thanks black cat, I will take a look at them.

Anyone else with Golf experience please?
Old 11 December 2002, 02:13 PM
cool-pt-fresh
Scooby Regular

Haven't swapped, but regularly drive my friends 130.

Nice and quiet and has enough power to keep up with the traffic on the motorway, but could't really compare it to the Scoob. Certainly not enjoyable to drive. Does feel a bit like trying to throw a transit around in comparison, but then it depends what you want it for. Well built and that, but personally I'd get very tired of it quickly.

Drive one and see for yourself.
Old 11 December 2002, 03:49 PM
RickyD
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sold my MY97 UK Turbo nearly two weeks ago and pick up my new car last Friday.

I opted for a '98 Golf GT TDi 110 and don't regret it at all. I even averaged 58mpg coming into work this morning on a 17 mile trip.

I loved my 18 months with the Subaru but the cost of insurance, servicing, petrol and depreciation hasn't helped at all. The Subaru has been the worst car for loosing money on!!!! It's also been the most expensive car I've ever bought

The 130 model will be a lot better than the 110 model and they also have the new PD engines with are supposed to be great. Plenty of mid-range performance.

The Golf has OK handling for standard suspension and the build quality is far superior to Subaru in my opinion.

Go and test drive a 130 model and see what you think.

P.s. Also I'll only have to fill the tank every two weeks or so and not every 6 days

Cheers

RickyD
Old 11 December 2002, 04:29 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

I went from a P1 to a PD150 and its saving me a small fortune (about £600 a month in insurance and fuel - do loads of miles)

Its not really a thrill to drive - sure is quick (only loses 1/2 a car length on a new WRX from 80 - 120mph) and diesel lasts a long time. 900 miles a week on less than 60 quid is a good thing

Fortunately we have the XTR2 for fun so I got the best of both worlds for less running costs than a single subaru.

Ian.
Old 11 December 2002, 04:30 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Cheers RickyD, thanks for the input.

I ahve spoken to a couple of people from the vw bbs and they have said that for a couple of hundred quid Eibach springs make all the difference to the handling.

Im not expecting it to be the same sort of enjoyment as my Scooby, but to be honest I only gt about 10 minutes of "enjoyment" a week with the sort of driving I do, and I don't think it justifies the cost. I'm going to book a test drive in a 130 this weekend, hopefully with a sports supsension pack on if Im lucky, so I can see what they like.

Im on the motorway 95% of the time though, so to be honest handling isnt amasingly important, but if I can imporve it no ends for 200 quid then that would be money well spent in my eyes.

Keep the responses coming though please guys - anyone with 130 or even 130 chipped experience?

Thanks,

Sub
Old 11 December 2002, 04:31 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Cheers igratton, thats just the sort of feedback I was after.