Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Toyota Rav4 5dr Diesel - Anyone Any Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2002, 06:02 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Question

As it says & only constructive comments from those that drove 'em on the recent Toyota-On-Track days please

Considering getting one as my 65 mile each way daily commuting car instead of the Vectra TD - complete with a set of Hella Rallye Xenons on the front

Reasons? Height, reasonable economy, potential "sporty" (more than the Vectra!) ride, 4WD & adequate performance for the M11. Also works OK as a familly car.

Ta!

Old 26 June 2002, 06:38 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Well...

Never driven a diesel one, but my Mum has a petrol one and it's great to drive.

Not at all like a 4wd, goes fairly well and they are built to last so I can reccomend one.

Old 26 June 2002, 10:28 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

WTF :0

I did drive one at last years toyota on track, on the off road track, it couldn't (or they wouldn't let us) go on the same stuff the big off-roaders did, so unless you want it to drive over wet/muddy fields, not much point IMHO. It's not an off-roader, it's not an on-roader?

Why not look an an Audi 4x4 diesel estate??
regards,

greg
Old 27 June 2002, 12:21 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Greg

A4 Avant 1.9 TDi 130 SE Sport 24K

RAV4 Vx 5dr 4-D4 20K

Problem is that there is no spare for the bit between...

Have to say that Audi would be on the agenda if the cash was there.
Old 27 June 2002, 11:02 AM
mik
Scooby Regular

Puff,

If you can handle LHD you can parralel import a Leon TDI150 Cupra4 (haldex as opposed to real 4wd though.... ).

Chip it to 190+bhp / 310+ lbs.ft for £300..... total cost less than £13K.
Old 27 June 2002, 11:22 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Mik

Whats haldex ?

Dave
Old 27 June 2002, 12:14 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

No expert, but as far as I know it's an electronic clutch used on lesser AWD VAG models ~ Audi TT/S3/Golf4Motion/LeonCupra4 etc.

These cars are all 90% (I think) torque to front wheels unless slip is detected and torque is transferred towards the rear ~ hence they tend to handle much like FWD.

Old 27 June 2002, 01:33 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

I drove the Turbo Diesel at ToT. It went faster than I thought it might and did not handle too unlike a car. We had to stay in convoy so it was difficult to learn much (except it makes a big splash when you don't slow down much for a ford ) Plenty of room for the family - you can jig the seats about like an MPV I think.

Toyota were encouraging people to book test drives on their website.
Old 27 June 2002, 03:00 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Mik

Nice but it needs to be more of a familly, including the bicycles type vehicle really. Don't Skoda do a 4-motion diesel estate thinks he, but then its a Skoda (OK though they may be now)

I'll be taking one out for a few days as a test drive before I commit to it, bearing in mind I've got to spend more than half a day in it a week
Old 27 June 2002, 03:03 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Drove one at ToT, seemed OK but a short jaunt on an unchallenging route doesn't provide a solid basis for assessment.

One was on the tail of my Landcruiser round the 4x4 circuit last year and stayed the course until I stomped out of a ditch and filled his windscreen with mud

Certainly not an out n out off roader but who'd want to commute in a Nissan Patrol? Wife had one of the previous models for 3 yrs. Never missed a beat, after sales was excellent from the supplying dealer & servicing costs acceptable. She also loved leaving XR 2/3 boys at the lights

Always felt a little self concious driving it because of the girlie image. I think the new ones grown up a little but assume the reliability should remain.

We sold to a family member, who swappped for a Scoob 2 years later and the only problem they had was a seized lock on the spare wheel carrier.

B
Old 29 June 2002, 10:06 AM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Puff

My Audi dealer has just sold my A4 V6 TDi Quattro Avant with 185bhp for RAV4 money so you missed that one !

Diesel Car tested the RAV4 diesel and rated it highly - it's fairly unique (like the Audi) anyway in offering permanent 4x4, diesel in car-like shell rather than a true off-roader.

Chips to 130-135bhp with no fuel consumption or engine problems.
Old 29 June 2002, 01:03 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

If that's the sort of car you're looking for, wouldn't you be better off with either a Freelander or a Cherokee? I'm no expert, but that's what I'd get because at least Land Rover and Jeep are well-known for making decent 4WD vehicles.

Jeep Cherokee 2.5TD Sport 5dr: £20,194
Land Rover Freelander 2.0 TD4 S 5dr: £18,699 (GS is £20,200, Serengeti is £19,700 and I have no idea what the different specs are )
Old 29 June 2002, 07:11 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Cool

Carl

Rav 4 has some sort of "performance" pretensions

TBH I don't need the real off-road potential that those cars give. Although I live in boonie land, its going to be a bit of mud, the occaisonal flood, ice & snow that I'll have to contend with. All of which I'm sure the Rav can cope admirably with. Also their fuel consumption is not as good & every man/woman & their dog has one or the other round here!
Old 01 July 2002, 07:25 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Puff my dad has one of the previous models and drove the newer model and said its pants to drive in comparison. I felt more secure in the old model but the interior is more low rent than a Scoob ! Handling felt terrible in the Rav 4, suprisingly so , I didn't expect it to be good but it felt almost dangerous.

AllanB
Old 02 July 2002, 11:39 AM
M@TT
Scooby Regular

Puff,

Drove the 5-door TD4 version at Toyota on track at Brands. Must admit liked it very much - engine was great and probably one of the best diesel units I've driven (although I haven't tried Mr BMW's yet !)

Good driving position
All the kit (top of the range model that I drove)
Toyota reliability

I have a bit of a soft spot for the new RAV and would definately buy one of these when I reach gtat certain age as the road holding seems 10x better than the previous model.

Just my 2p

Cheers
Matt
Celica ST205
Old 03 July 2002, 05:54 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Puff,

I had one of these to myself at ToT, so had a bit of a longer drive.

Quite impressed, goes OK, diesel engine seems to suit it well and handling not bad, considering the limitations of the mini-SUV body style.

Cheers
Tim
PS Bloody annoying voice kept coming over the radio though, would have to get that fixed if I had one
Old 03 July 2002, 06:52 PM
jetskidia
Scooby Regular

Dont know if you are interested or not but i'm selling my Honda Crv, its advertised in the for sale section on Scooby net.
I have driven both the Rav and the Honda, the Honda knocks the Rav into second place by far !!!!!
Chris
Old 04 July 2002, 03:52 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Jetskidia

Thank you for the offer, but I'm thinking of replacing my 3yr old scoob & 5yr old vectra with a new diesel. I'm afraid your car, which sounds nice BTW, misses out on two of the main points I also personally prefer the looks of the Rav over the CRV or indeed HRV. The CRV is also a bit more of an off-roader & less of a GTi than I'm looking for/at.

Old 05 July 2002, 04:59 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Talking

Puff - go and drive one.

I have a petrol 3 door NRG as a company car. The one with the 235 tyres, wide arches, all colour coded, cd player,etc.

Might have a girlie rep, but looks the dogs b**** in black or silver. Mine's black.

Had a previous generation model a few years ago before the scoob.

I have not driven the diesel models, but have heard nothing but good things about them. Obviously doesn't have the power of the petrol 2.0l in mine (147bhp) but has masses more torque, which as we all should know is more important day to day

Newer model is much more refined and classier inside than old, and has viscous centre diff as opposed to 50/50 split. Transmission is much more refined as well.

Only fault over the older model is that it understeers slightly more, although I get the feeling that he balance on the 236/60's isn't as good as on the standard 215 section tyres.

On ice and snow, its dead safe and power slides are available on command

Generally handling is much better than you'd expect.

I've done 20,000 miles in 10 months and have had no problems with comfort, etc. Petrol model has averaged about 30 mpg

As for all the bollox about its off road ability...LOL... unless you are doing the serious stuff then its fine. Lack of diff locks and low ratios are the problem, not clearance and strength.

If off roading is your thing, then get a proper landie.

Freelander...hmmm...one word..reliability, or lack of it. Plus its sloooowwwww. Boss's wife had one, nothing but problems and didn't drive on road as well as landrover say it does. RAV really does feel like a car. Think of them as GTi's on steroids.#

I've seen 125 on the clock and it was still accelerating.

CRV...not as good looking IMHO, which put me right off. Bit blue rinse about it still...LOL...but its a honda so will be on par reliability wise.

Would I have another one? In a flash. So much more fun that the repmobile standard. Height is great advantage - more than you think at first. If you can see around the corner/over the hedgerow then that worth 50 bhp in my book.

Grat value for money, too. Would probably fo the 5dr route next time, and diesel too, subject to test drive, of course...if its on the car list when the current lease expires

let us know how you get on

D

Old 08 July 2002, 10:58 AM
SJobson
Scooby Regular

I tried a 5dr petrol Rav4 (can't remember the model but it was the top of the range jobbie). It was OK, if completely unexciting, to drive, and had great static qualities (bit like a Tonka toy). I had a ride in the back, though, and got immediately carsick - something which has never happened to me ever before, even in old Citroens. So if you're considering carrying kids in it, do check that out before buying!

Oh, we compared the Rav4 to the new Mini, Audi TT and Elise. The Elise won
Old 10 July 2002, 04:57 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Puff, you're looking for a GTi 4x4? Have you tried the Forester S-Turbo? 0-60 7.9, 130mph subaru. 'Nuff said! I've got one if you want more info.