Audi S4 3.0 tfsi

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2014, 09:44 AM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi S4 3.0 tfsi

Hi all,
Thinking about making this my next purchase. Anybody had experience of one with the S-Tronic box?
Cheers,
Andy
Old 30 December 2014, 10:20 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris Harris broke his when he tuned it, unclear if related to tuning. With a supercharger pulley and reflash they can hit about 480 BHP though. Economy not great apparently.

I've driven a few S Tronics and like them, but marginally prefer a good modern torque converter auto like ZF 8 speed which is working its way into most things now.
Old 30 December 2014, 10:24 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Nice engine, quick, slightly plasticky interior, rather vague steering, thirsty but overall, a pretty good car.
Old 30 December 2014, 10:25 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

The s4 3.0 FSI supercharged are nice and suttle, like above, pully and map makes for a very quick car.
Has the later torsen 2 with 60/40 split make for decent handling for a 1.7t barge
Thinking it could be my next purchase for that extra.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 30 December 2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 30 December 2014, 11:29 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Yep, two mates have one; a saloon and an estate; the estate is super subtle!

I do like the supercharger noise too.
Old 30 December 2014, 03:00 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy.downes
Hi all,
Thinking about making this my next purchase. Anybody had experience of one with the S-Tronic box?
Cheers,
Andy

Tried an S-Tronic box when test driving an S3. In `Drive` mode it was ok, if boring. In `Sport` mode it just kicked down to easily. When just wanting to accelerate in that gear, it would suddenly kick down, and you were screaming past the car in front.

Not for me. Although I do like the S4 as a whole, a second hand manual version would be better.
Old 30 December 2014, 03:03 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I could have sworn the one I drove (11 plate) was DSG?
Old 30 December 2014, 03:09 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

There same, dsg and stronic, however in a4/6/8 are stronic, I like it in sport mode as it holds the gears for longer and it all depends where you plant you're foot to what gear it engages. Normal drive is a bit slack when giving it some on B roads as when you come in/out of a corner it gears up and then just kicks back down when it should of held the same gear.
If you're too fussy, then just use paddles.
Old 30 December 2014, 03:17 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
There same, dsg and stronic, however in a4/6/8 are stronic, I like it in sport mode as it holds the gears for longer and it all depends where you plant you're foot to what gear it engages. Normal drive is a bit slack when giving it some on B roads as when you come in/out of a corner it gears up and then just kicks back down when it should of held the same gear.
If you're too fussy, then just use paddles.

The two main things that annoyed me was...

1) The flappy paddles. Too short, which compromised my hold on the steering wheel. Used the twice, and if I had a car with them fitted, I would never use them.

2) Sliding the gear lever over to manual. Why do manufacturers have the box upside down? push forward for a higher gear, and back for a lower gear. Your natural instinct is to pull back for a higher gear, then play Touring car racer, pushing forward several times while braking hard for a corner.

I honestly didn't dare use it, as it didn't come naturally being upside down. I know the box probably would have let me, but I had images of accelerating hard in 2nd and pulling back (for what I hoped would be 3rd) and lunching the gearbox.
Old 30 December 2014, 03:28 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
The two main things that annoyed me was...

1) The flappy paddles. Too short, which compromised my hold on the steering wheel. Used the twice, and if I had a car with them fitted, I would never use them.

2) Sliding the gear lever over to manual. Why do manufacturers have the box upside down? push forward for a higher gear, and back for a lower gear. Your natural instinct is to pull back for a higher gear, then play Touring car racer, pushing forward several times while braking hard for a corner.

I honestly didn't dare use it, as it didn't come naturally being upside down. I know the box probably would have let me, but I had images of accelerating hard in 2nd and pulling back (for what I hoped would be 3rd) and lunching the gearbox.
Lol, I totally agree with both them sentiments, if the paddles were 'behind' the wheel and stayed there. That would be awesome.
And yes the gear manual shifter is opposite imo, but we're used to playing video games
Tbh I never use them now, I've now found it all depends how far you plant your foot when driving, after driving it for a while you get to know if you fully press the pedal then it will kick down 2.3.4 gears and take off (that annoyed me at times) there is certain point on pedal which you get used to how far to press it to how many gears it will knock down to and when you're half way in the Rev at that chosen gear then press fully so next gear up has the best power band.
It's just getting used to it imo.
At first I was t pleased but now used to it and from time to time if I want a rapid overtake in D mode I plant my foot and it will knock from say 6th gear down to 2nd then I just ease off and it will be back in 6th in no time.
I prefer driving in sport when I feel a bit racey, as it will ride the gears without knocking up to a unessesery gear and will generally kick down 1-2 gears depending on current speed and gear it's in.
Sport is only 6 gears as drive is 7.
Old 30 December 2014, 04:25 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There must be a way to flip the wiring or change the gearbox software so it works the correct way. If not, maybe I should do it and retire LOL.
Old 30 December 2014, 04:28 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
There must be a way to flip the wiring or change the gearbox software so it works the correct way. If not, maybe I should do it and retire LOL.
There is a gearbox map/upgrade from tuners approx £150 which give a few extra features for driver control but not sure on the changes (forgot to ask) but I can't see why not unless flipping an electrical wire?
Old 03 January 2015, 10:28 AM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Cheers chaps