Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Vibration through steering wheel - causes?!..

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2014, 11:24 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration through steering wheel - causes?!..

Not sure if anyone can help here, but I'm a bit baffled as to what could be wrong here.

I'm getting quite a bit of vibration when driving at 40mph up (worst between 40-50, but can still notice it's there at higher speeds). It feels like the sort of vibration you get when a wheel is out of balance.

I've been and had both front wheels balanced - made no difference. Since tried changing both front wheels for spares as I have a spare set of alloys, again this has made no difference so it's not a buckled wheel or dodgy tyre.

Anyone got any ideas what else could cause this? Maybe some sort of worn bush or something?

It's on a 2008 330d coupe.
Old 09 December 2014, 11:37 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Not sure if anyone can help here, but I'm a bit baffled as to what could be wrong here.

I'm getting quite a bit of vibration when driving at 40mph up (worst between 40-50, but can still notice it's there at higher speeds). It feels like the sort of vibration you get when a wheel is out of balance.

I've been and had both front wheels balanced - made no difference. Since tried changing both front wheels for spares as I have a spare set of alloys, again this has made no difference so it's not a buckled wheel or dodgy tyre.

Anyone got any ideas what else could cause this? Maybe some sort of worn bush or something?

It's on a 2008 330d coupe.
This may sound daft, but have you checked the rears. Test drove a Merc CL when I was looking for mine that had a bad vibration through the steering.... rear wheel was buckled!

I presume you have had the suspension and steering checked for play/wear etc.
Old 09 December 2014, 11:38 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Is this when you brake or all the time?

I had a recurring issue with my 335d where is wobbled under braking. Took three new sets of disks and new "brake reaction bushes" to sort it - even then they still rumbled a bit.

If not under braking, maybe a wheel bearing? The E90 series (and most BMWs) are very prone to rusting hubs which can't do the bearings much good - I had mine stripped and Hammerited. Even my M135i hubs have a bit of corrosion.

I hope you get to the bottom of it - most BMW wheels are fully adjustable; sounds good but it means you have to constantly check them to make sure everything is lined up.
Old 09 December 2014, 11:45 AM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Tracking?? (Am I being stupid or just stating the obvious or what??)
Old 09 December 2014, 11:48 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Definitely check the rears as well. I lost a balance weight of an rear alloy wheel on my old E30 3 series, the vibration was unbelievable, almost made it undrivable which is a bit of a pain when you're half way round the M25.
Old 09 December 2014, 11:56 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you got an illegal on your axle. !?
Old 09 December 2014, 01:08 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I'll check the rears then - I've got an identical spare set of alloys so I'll see if that makes a difference. Had the tracking done already, so not that.

The vibration is just when driving along at those speeds, braking doesn't make a difference unless you scrub off enough speed to drop below 40.

Someone at work has suggested it could be a prop shaft which doesn't sound like good news, but I'll try changing the rears first.

cheers everyone!
Old 09 December 2014, 01:13 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has it just started doing it all of a sudden? Or always done it?
If it's just started, what has changed? Was something done to the car that could be related?
Old 09 December 2014, 01:21 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Is this vibration through the car or the steering wheel? (edit sorry, just re-read the title )

If its the latter, with it being a e60 its likely its the age old BMW 40-50mph wheel wobble syndrome (google BMW 50mph wheel wobble)...a problem on BMWs with this front suspension design since the 1980's (yes your e90 has 1980's 5 series suspesion)

This is where the frontmost lower arm bushings have got tired. Very common on any BMW with this type of front suspension (e28, e34, e39, e53, e60, e90...but NOT e46 nor F10), it'd be the first place I'd look (under-tray off).

Of course it goes without saying that any play in the suspension or steering can cause a vibration to appear worse, as free movement can cause the wheels to move freely, affecting the harmonics and dampening of the suspension. So dodgy shocks, top mounts, bushings, track-rods and ball-joints etc will amplify any inbalance and make it worse.

Also note that balancing wheel/tyres doesn't correct for physical wheel run-out (i.e the wheel isn't round). Just thought I'd point that out.

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 December 2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09 December 2014, 01:42 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

It's something that has got worse, but it seems to have got quite a bit worse fairly quickly recently.

It's the E92 model, so I guess it could be lower arm bushings then. Think I'll change the rear wheels for my spares, and if it's not that then get it into the garage so they can check for play in the suspension/steering bushes/joints.
Old 09 December 2014, 04:38 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Rule of thumb: If the vibration is felt through the steering wheel it's the front, if it's through ya bum it's the rears...