Double bed with desk under ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2014, 08:19 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Double bed with desk under ?

Has anyone ever seen one? or had one?

I know of single beds, but I'm thinking a large double with a nice sized work space under?

I've had a look and can't find anything good.
Old 12 January 2014, 07:56 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look for 'loft beds' or 'high sleepers'
Old 12 January 2014, 09:34 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

http://www.stompa.com
Old 12 January 2014, 09:56 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Look for 'loft beds' or 'high sleepers'

Nice tip
Old 12 January 2014, 10:54 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Loft beds are ok if you have high ceiling house. It was alright for my son in the high ceiling old chapel, but the regular houses I moved in afterwards, it wasn't alright. The kid didn't mind, as they're like cats. They like crawling into their beds with hardly any room to even sit under. But once he was gone, I tried it and found it very uncomfortable.

I do not recommend it for the adults who regularly drink either. Going up the ladder in a p1ssed state could compromise H&S.

Last edited by Turbohot; 12 January 2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12 January 2014, 11:06 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mate mine built bed up high, in edwardain ? Flat, so he could put wardrobe under.

Not so usefully for his alcohonlic girlfriend, although dont think she's fallen off it in fact ( just sleeps on sofa )
Old 12 January 2014, 11:23 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Not much help but buy another house with bigger rooms? or sleep in hammocks.
Old 12 January 2014, 11:29 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

That's right mate .. not much help
Old 12 January 2014, 11:29 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I was thinking it for my room, but having access to one side of the bed would be a pain in the *** ..
Old 12 January 2014, 11:30 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Mate mine built bed up high, in edwardain ? Flat, so he could put wardrobe under.
That's what they're good for. Good space savers, if you have a small dwelling. That old chapel was fekking huge with 18 bedrooms to it, but our kid moidered us to get him a loft bed for his fun. He even wanted to live in the a attic there, but I wouldn't let him because I was told that some people were buried under the chapel. I didn't want my kid to see dead people up there, as spirits rise up posthumously, they say.

You wanna see some of my artist friends' small dwellings in London. They manage their life very creatively by sleeping on the top of their dining tables etc., and believe me, they're not some bedsits but free-spirited, trendy and contemporary living in nice London areas.

None of my houses were that small to settle for a loft bed, but with kids, the more space you have, better it is.

I also have a converted attic room now in my current dwelling, and my kids were fighting like cats with each other to have it, but I kept it meself. It's nice.

Anyway, my son's loft bed went into skip eventually.

Not so usefully for his alcohonlic girlfriend, although dont think she's fallen off it in fact ( just sleeps on sofa )
Best way with p1ssheads.

Last edited by Turbohot; 12 January 2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12 January 2014, 11:48 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I was thinking it for my room, but having access to one side of the bed would be a pain in the *** ..
Pimmo, you are a physically fit athlete, and I don't think you're a regular drinker. Going up the ladder wouldn't be so bad, nor would be the crawling manoeuvre; for you. But depending upon how tall you are, I would think a few times before I buy it. If you are only a 3 footer adult, go for it. Well, unless you have very tall ceilings.

Access is a non issue, if you put it against the wall with no doors. You'd never need to access your room through that wall, if the door in on the other wall.
Old 12 January 2014, 12:10 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Oh, sorry, I got it now. You mean accessing your bed from only one side!

I'd still say it's a non issue, as you could stick the inaccessible side to the useless wall. If you are to put your bed bang in the middle, you can add extra ladders on every side, if you are creative.

To be honest with you, don't buy it. With all that hard walking and cycling, you need a comfortable memory mattress wide bed to sleep tight. Not some child-like treehouse bed to climb up and crawl into. Imagine if you needed a wee very badly, how much of a hassle will it be to climb down it. In my experience, once I was up there, I couldn't bleddy get down! The ladder also hurt my feet- ouch! No comfort at all IMO. I also felt trapped underneath when I sat on the computer chair to go on Scoobynet.

Therefore, don't do it.

Last edited by Turbohot; 12 January 2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12 January 2014, 06:37 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Oh, sorry, I got it now. You mean accessing your bed from only one side!

I'd still say it's a non issue, as you could stick the inaccessible side to the useless wall. If you are to put your bed bang in the middle, you can add extra ladders on every side, if you are creative.

To be honest with you, don't buy it. With all that hard walking and cycling, you need a comfortable memory mattress wide bed to sleep tight. Not some child-like treehouse bed to climb up and crawl into. Imagine if you needed a wee very badly, how much of a hassle will it be to climb down it. In my experience, once I was up there, I couldn't bleddy get down! The ladder also hurt my feet- ouch! No comfort at all IMO. I also felt trapped underneath when I sat on the computer chair to go on Scoobynet.

Therefore, don't do it.
Good enough for me .. and you made me lol ..

I shall seek a different design option ..

What's all this 18 bed rooms stuff .. you some kind of rich b*tch
Old 12 January 2014, 06:47 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Must be. !
Old 12 January 2014, 06:54 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/double-high-sleeper
Old 12 January 2014, 07:56 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Good enough for me .. and you made me lol ..

I shall seek a different design option ..

What's all this 18 bed rooms stuff .. you some kind of rich b*tch

Look, my intention wasn't to pretend to be rich, which I'm not. I was just saying that we didn't have to get a loft bed for our kid, as we didn't lack space in the spacious chapel, and a loft bed with desk room under it is more suitable for that purpose. In addition, the loft bed was ok there, as the ceilings in that chapel were very high, so the kid could even jump up and down on it without breaking his head. The chapel did have 18 bedrooms, and we can't do anything about that. We lived there because it was ours, we bought it, and we did it up. One day we sold it. That's it. It doesn't make me a rich b1tch. I now live in a humble 3-bed semi-detached mud hut with regular ceilings, but the heating bill is much lower.

You must be a rich b1tch as you want to buy a loft bed as a grown-up adult, so you must have a castle with high ceilings. Otherwise, why would you want to climb up a ladder to your bed, and fold yourself to half for crawling action? Either that, or you're a kid, or a cat or a Tarzan Boy.

Last edited by Turbohot; 12 January 2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12 January 2014, 08:04 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a bunk bed that has a desk and sofa bed underneath, its some expensive make that I can't remember who makes it but if it was a double bed with similar underneath I would expect to pay around the £2k mark from this company.
Old 12 January 2014, 08:54 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stevebt
I have a bunk bed that has a desk and sofa bed underneath, its some expensive make that I can't remember who makes it but if it was a double bed with similar underneath I would expect to pay around the £2k mark from this company.
Is it gold plated or something?!
Old 12 January 2014, 08:56 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Look, my intention wasn't to pretend to be rich, which I'm not. I was just saying that we didn't have to get a loft bed for our kid, as we didn't lack space in the spacious chapel, and a loft bed with desk room under it is more suitable for that purpose. In addition, the loft bed was ok there, as the ceilings in that chapel were very high, so the kid could even jump up and down on it without breaking his head. The chapel did have 18 bedrooms, and we can't do anything about that. We lived there because it was ours, we bought it, and we did it up. One day we sold it. That's it. It doesn't make me a rich b1tch. I now live in a humble 3-bed semi-detached mud hut with regular ceilings, but the heating bill is much lower.

You must be a rich b1tch as you want to buy a loft bed as a grown-up adult, so you must have a castle with high ceilings. Otherwise, why would you want to climb up a ladder to your bed, and fold yourself to half for crawling action? Either that, or you're a kid, or a cat or a Tarzan Boy.
I wish .. I'm just a kid

I can never tell if you're getting all stroppy with me or not .. the likes of me can only dream of living in an 5 bedroom house, never mind 18 .. nothing wrong with being rich .. well there isn't if you're looking for a toy boy with a loft bed ..
Old 12 January 2014, 09:39 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I wish .. I'm just a kid

I can never tell if you're getting all stroppy with me or not ..
LOL no! Not stroppy at all, Pimmo! I often jest like this.

...likes of me can only dream of living in an 5 bedroom house, never mind 18 ...
Yeah 18 bed sounds great, but I'd rather have a one-bed home over 18 bed house in any reincarnation.
...nothing wrong with being rich .. well there isn't if you're looking for a toy boy with a loft bed ..
No, nothing wrong with being rich, it's just that I don't happen to be one, that's all. Nothing against a toy boy, but a loft bed is a no no in my old and unfit age.

Last edited by Turbohot; 12 January 2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12 January 2014, 09:53 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Is it gold plated or something?!
The single one I have was £1200 then there is more money for the extras they add, its a pine framed bed and its a well known name but it just slips my mind.

I know you buy them in the likes of House of Frasier or John Lewis.

Last edited by stevebt; 12 January 2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12 January 2014, 10:11 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Scallywag, Thuka, Cresta?
Old 12 January 2014, 10:28 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Imagine if you needed a wee very badly, how much of a hassle will it be to climb down it.
I regularly have this issue working away, often I sleep in bunk-beds and often the top one is a bitch to get in and out of. The last one had a steel ladder with the rungs about 5mm thick which killed by feet.

Give me a simple low bed any day.
Old 12 January 2014, 10:28 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
The single one I have was £1200 then there is more money for the extras they add, its a pine framed bed and its a well known name but it just slips my mind.

I know you buy them in the likes of House of Frasier or John Lewis.
£1200 for a bed?!

You can't get bed bugs out of wood you know? Go steel.
Old 13 January 2014, 05:35 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

My stepson had a double high sleeper for years, then one morning he woke with a start when he realised he'd overslept and was late for work, sat bolt upright, and stuck his head straight through his bedroom ceiling

He was really lucky because he managed to go between the ceiling joists and just split the plasterboard

Two days later he'd converted it into a four-poster bed a sensible height from the ground
Old 13 January 2014, 07:53 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
My stepson had a double high sleeper for years, then one morning he woke with a start when he realised he'd overslept and was late for work, sat bolt upright, and stuck his head straight through his bedroom ceiling

He was really lucky because he managed to go between the ceiling joists and just split the plasterboard

Two days later he'd converted it into a four-poster bed a sensible height from the ground

Sorry, but
Old 13 January 2014, 07:54 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
I regularly have this issue working away, often I sleep in bunk-beds and often the top one is a bitch to get in and out of. The last one had a steel ladder with the rungs about 5mm thick which killed by feet.

Give me a simple low bed any day.
Sure, but your work don't provide a simple low bed, do they?

Shame, but I can trouble shoot it for you. Suggest your work to take the ladder off, and stick a slide instead. It will be so much more fun for you sliding down.
The only problem is that you'll be slipping all over the place on the slide to go up. Mind you, you can buy a small trampoline, and just keep jumping on it until you reach the height to twist yourself to land on your bed.

Please do ask a workmate to video you in action as well, then he can upload it on Youtube for us to see you having fun.