I hate toilets

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2013, 09:56 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default I hate toilets

To carry on the "I hate....." theme this week

My gripe is bogs, well plumbing in general.

Last house I just moved out had the downstairs bog out of action for 6 months mainly because it kept dripping from the fibre washer on the filler fixed it three times and gave up. Usually a easy fix but due it being in a corner means you need double jointed wrists to get at the union, meaning the only way to fix it is use a braided flexi hose and remove the cistern to tighten it....f**k that.

So I move house to one with three toilets...one was dripping, thought it was the union to the filler... Nope cracked cistern. Next bog had the wrong filler valve - too short, it had a pathetic flush and had the wrong restrictor so was noisy, so replaced it, now the new filler hums and bangs. That leave the main bathroom bog.....which now overflows when the bath is emptied.....on to the new floor.

Ok the latter is a blocked drain (borrowed a drain jetter tonight hopefully that'll sort it ), but it's occurred to me that I have three bogs and not one works right. You'd think a device that simply flushes turds by dumping a few gallons of water shouldn't be such a issue to cause any concern or head aches.

So why is there a 8.5 inch filler in a 10" toilet, why does a 10" cistern leave 2" of water at the bottom, why are fibre washers so shyte, why is there a low pressure fitting on a toilet operated at mains pressure, and why on does the drain back up on Boxing day and flood my bathroom.

Add to that the thermostat on my brand new hot water tank has broke leaves me thinking that if the plumbing in this house was a car, it'd be made by Yugo or FSO, or a Renault Megane II.

Boiler works ok though (for now)
Old 27 December 2013, 10:08 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one in my flat isn't a great design. I'm by no means a massive guy but it is way too easy to block it. Must be the high fibre diet.
Old 27 December 2013, 10:19 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Ahh that reminds me the only working (but noisy) toilet is a fancy design pan. Where basically it leaves skid marks all over the pan. Crappy design pun intended.
Old 27 December 2013, 10:23 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Ahh that reminds me the only working (but noisy) toilet is a fancy design pan. Where basically it leaves skid marks all over the pan. Crappy design pun intended.
One with a 'shelf'? I think they come from Germany?
Old 27 December 2013, 10:28 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is it cos there's no hills round your part
Old 28 December 2013, 09:47 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rest of the house ok ? lol
Old 28 December 2013, 09:51 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Bit of a **** subject for a Friday night.

Are there underlying issues
Old 28 December 2013, 11:20 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Go dig a hole in your garden. Problem solved.
Old 28 December 2013, 03:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I quite like my toilet , now

After having to change the joke of flushing valve which was torbeck opella, for a proper one. And having inflicted a small crack in the cistern changing it all around

I'd like to bill torbeck for a new cistern. The new flushing valve has beeen faultless from the off.

Fortunately the cracked is at the top, and hasn't got any bigger
Old 28 December 2013, 05:36 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

What gets me about new toilets is that their economy flush system is terribly ineffective. I can't see any point of having two push buttons on top, as the half-flush one is not capable to flush even a bird's ****! You have to use a full flush button to get rid, so why fool people that it's so great and all that?? Modern day con-men are selling such flushing systems left, right and in the frigging centre , and the idiots are buying them!
Old 28 December 2013, 07:51 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
What gets me about new toilets is that their economy flush system is terribly ineffective. I can't see any point of having two push buttons on top, as the half-flush one is not capable to flush even a bird's ****! You have to use a full flush button to get rid, so why fool people that it's so great and all that?? Modern day con-men are selling such flushing systems left, right and in the frigging centre , and the idiots are buying them!
Agree.

Even the two flushes of the full one aren't enough to shift my colon cannonballs.
Old 28 December 2013, 08:30 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Agree.

Even the two flushes of the full one aren't enough to shift my colon cannonballs.

Old 28 December 2013, 08:35 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

As an ex plumber I'm always impressed by the WC's when I go to the US. The flush is like a tsunami and they are designed so that the tissue paper cleans the side of the bowl as it is flushed away, so no need for that disgusting 'bog' brush that the UK seems obsessed with.

Sad, I know that I seem to be making these observations, but the US seem to have all things 'sussed' where we in the UK are still in the dark ages, even when it comes to something that 'we' invented.
Old 29 December 2013, 10:37 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Rest of the house ok ? lol
No.... The list so far off the top of my hea;, Soffits are rotten. My bedroom window rains in. The insulation in the dorma sections is suspect, "something" is living in the loft space. The main TV aerial cable has water coming through it. Built in shower mixer is Fecked, conservatory rains in. Patio sliding door lock has broke on the inside. Garage door is broke. Shed roof needs re-felting. Phone line isn't working. Rear PIR floodlights stick on. The oven doesn't work right. And the sound proofing between rooms is non-existent (compared to my last house).

Other than that it's fine

Anyhoo drains are unblocked, so one more toilet is working - combination of sand (from the block pavers) some tree root (conifers) and some retard has been flushing kitchen roll

Temporarily fixed the hot water tank stat by borrowing the stat off the immersion heater, so now I can't cook veg under the hot tap
Old 29 December 2013, 10:45 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
One with a 'shelf'? I think they come from Germany?
Sort of it's a Ideal standard with a square style pan. The slope at the front is too shallow and extends too far back, so basically the turd lands in that and builds up there rather than going into the pool of water.

I've got used to it now I have to **** with my ****/lower back pressed against the cistern and lean forwards to aim the turd towards the back of the pan where it'll fall into the water.

Honestly I've never had to aim my turds before in my entire life
Old 29 December 2013, 11:35 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Just came back from Marrakech and I was sitting in a really nice café near the Koutoubia Mosque. My daughter and missus are really fussy so won't stop at any ****hole, anywhoo's I went to the toilet and its just a friggin hole and a **** covered one at that. My missus and daughter would never dream of using something like that so off we went to Mc donalds so they could use a somewhat normal toilet
Old 29 December 2013, 11:45 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Get yourself down B&Q. Ali , you can pickup a khasi for 50 quid in the sales.
Old 29 December 2013, 11:47 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Just came back from Marrakech and I was sitting in a really nice café near the Koutoubia Mosque. My daughter and missus are really fussy so won't stop at any ****hole, anywhoo's I went to the toilet and its just a friggin hole and a **** covered one at that. My missus and daughter would never dream of using something like that so off we went to Mc donalds so they could use a somewhat normal toilet
Iv always wondered how you avoid leg spatter with that set up.

You got to have reasonable aim to start with. Bit full on after a decent curry/beer
Old 29 December 2013, 11:57 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by dpb
Get yourself down B&Q. Ali , you can pickup a khasi for 50 quid in the sales.
My uncle did that a few years back. Fancy B&Q bog. Toilet seat broke after a year. Fancy design...,now discontinued. B&Q not interest in supplying parts. Standard style seat won't fit.

He had to order one from Gibeller in Spain, where I picked it up for him during one of my visits, was quite amusing explaining that to the staff at the baggage scanner (I only take hand luggage)

Last edited by ALi-B; 29 December 2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 29 December 2013, 12:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by dpb
Iv always wondered how you avoid leg spatter with that set up.

You got to have reasonable aim to start with. Bit full on after a decent curry/beer
Yup, and stand back when you flush
Old 29 December 2013, 12:07 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Least it doesn't involve all those pesky valves
Old 29 December 2013, 12:12 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
My uncle did that a few years back. Fancy B&Q bog. Toilet seat broke after a year. Fancy design...,now discontinued. B&Q not interest in supplying parts. Standard style seat won't fit.

He had to order one from Giberella in Spain, where I picked it up for him during one of my visits, was quite amusing explaining that to the staff at the baggage scanner (I only take hand luggage)
I had this too...customers son kept peeing on the seat...ruined the finish...seat no longer available....I got one made for a little shy of £400 in a joinery shop (limed oak).
Old 29 December 2013, 12:16 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

For a toilet seat. !?!