Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Finding new residential developments

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2002, 09:55 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Okay, whilst on the subject of new developments (see the 'Movin on up' thread), what's a good way to find out about new residential developments that are underway or likely to start?

We'll be moving to Scotland in the next 6 months to a year, and for various reasons want a new build. However, obviously the sooner you can find out about upcoming developments the better, since it gives you the choice of the best plots, and often there's rewards (discounts) for early reservations.

Are there any websites which list developments (or developers who might be undertaking them) anywhere?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Old 24 May 2002, 09:57 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I think local newspapers is your best bet. Or get in touch with the planning department at the council local to where you want to live?
Old 24 May 2002, 10:14 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Smile

http://www.newhomesnetwork.co.uk/

http://www.new-homes.co.uk/

http://www.newhousingdevelopments.co.uk/

http://www.itlhomesearch.com/newhomes.asp

These might be a help I'd love to do what you're doing, you get so much more for your money the further north you go, if we moved to the midlands from here we'd double the size of our house and garage for the same money It's definately in our plans to do it soon..

Sal
Old 24 May 2002, 10:21 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Yes, the idea has a certain romance and attraction to it. Mind you, the weather's even worse in Scotland than in E. Herts.

BTW, Halifax revealed the other day that Bishop's Stortford (where I live) is the sixth least affordable town in the UK (other five were the sort of places you expected -- Windsor, Kingston-upon-Thames, Richmond, etc.)
Old 24 May 2002, 10:30 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Sal - very useful links indeed.

I'm not sure whether the difference in price would be huge from the Midlands, but it depends what sort of money you're spending and what you need in terms of location. We want/need to be within commuting distance of Edinburgh, simply because it would guarantee that I could find work (although obviously I might find a contract elsewhere).

This meant that to get a larger house than our current one we will still have to pay a fair amount, although having said that it'll still be cheaper than what we paid for our current house nearly 3 years ago, resulting in a significantly smaller mortgage, but a massive improvement in quality of life.
Old 24 May 2002, 10:31 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Visit the big developers websites - Fairclough, Barrat, Mcclean? etc and find a development near you. Go check out some house styles - they tend to build the same thing all over. Then when you like a developer you can focus on their Scottish stuff.
If you are bored it's worth a trip to Chafford Hundred (near Lakeside just North of the Drtford crossing) There must be 9 different developers with current building/showhomes. I'll even buy you a beer at the local!
Chuck
Old 24 May 2002, 10:31 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Carl - so move!! Take the equity and go somewhere with less daft prices!

Our old house was in Godalming. I think it's been surpassed now (Sevenoaks in Kent is the most least affordable place in the UK IIRC) but when we moved there it was at the top of the list.
Old 24 May 2002, 10:36 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Chuckster - I'm not going anywhere near Barratt or Bryant, etc. Their build quality (and designs) are sh1te. We want a small independent developer, ideally. Many of the national developers don't seem to understand that their Noddy-style rabbit-hutch English designs look totally out of place in Scotland.

[Edited by MarkO - 5/24/2002 10:39:42 AM]
Old 24 May 2002, 10:56 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

I agree with the whole 'housing estate, paper walls' development thing down here, but now I'm sulking because I'm stuck in one myself until I can convince my woman we should follow you up...but I'd be aiming for somewhere around Inverness .
Nicest new homes I've seen recently were up around Lincoln. Big 5/6 bed houses costing £210k, was amazed how cheap they were. And the developments were set out in established grounds, nice big tree's and a great variation of styles. Local company though, no good to you.
Good luck.
C
Old 24 May 2002, 10:58 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Inverness? Nice. You're talking mucho cheapo there (compared to anything south of Watford).

We've seen a decent development already, but we need to sell our house first, so we'll probably miss out....
Old 24 May 2002, 11:03 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but Nicki wants the New Forest, around Burley, mucho mucho squidleys. If she didn't have a nice car I'd dump her LOL
C
Old 24 May 2002, 11:06 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've got an idea, how about a 'group move' to Inverness? At least then we'd know people in the same area that we could be friends with - common interests and all that
Old 24 May 2002, 11:15 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Nice idea, but since the STI is going in 2 weeks' time, I wouldn't be part of the gang any more, and I'd just get upset seeing all you lot with yours.
Old 24 May 2002, 11:36 AM
Sparks
Scooby Regular

Chuck,

You'd better start saving for the New Forest.. not cheap. My place in Southampton went up from £76k to £100k over the last year.. New forest is more expensive.... It'd be worth it though.. I might see the 22b burbling about.. well.. makes it worth it for me anyway

[Edited by Sparks - 5/24/2002 11:36:34 AM]
Old 24 May 2002, 11:51 AM
blair
Scooby Regular

Some Scottish builders worth looking for on the WWW would be (in no particular order)

Morrison Homes
Miller
Manor Kingdom
Cala

Most non new builds in the Edinburgh area are marketed through

http://www.espc.co.uk

but it also has a few listings for new developments

Remember too that the Scottish house buying system is completely different from the English. The seller puts a price on of offers over £xxx,xxx and there is a sealed bid auction with the house going to the highest bidder. The market in Edinburgh has gone through the roof recently with the winning price often being between 25 and 30% over the asking price.

One of the benefits of buying a new build is that you can avoid this to an extent - but the builders aren't daft and more seem to be asking for offers on what they know will be popular developments rather than asking for a fixed price.

Andy

[Edited by blair - 5/24/2002 11:55:50 AM]
Old 24 May 2002, 11:55 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks.

I've had a look at all of those, except the Manor one.

We're aware of the differences, which is one of the problems - we were going to do this early next year, but found an ideal development/house when we were up in Scotland a fortnight ago. Unfortunately, we'd have had to put a £500 deposit down to reserve the house, and then be legally committed to buy (with surveys, missives, etc) within 4 weeks. Totally impractical, since our house isn't actually on the market until later this week.

We'll probably sell first and then rent up there short-term, allowing us to find the right house as cash buyers....