Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2013, 09:16 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky bum time!

Phew, that was close....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24183879

(Wouldn't have bothered me as I wasn't around then. )
Old 21 September 2013, 12:39 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by zip106
Phew, that was close....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24183879

(Wouldn't have bothered me as I wasn't around then. )
Yes that was a VERY close call indeed. At that time USA kept B52s in the air 24/7 as they were scared of a surprise Russian attack - bit like our Trident policy but inherently more dangerous.

The worry now must be that Pakistan weapons will be seized by Taliban and they might well press all the buttons.

And Iran - who knows?

dl
Old 23 September 2013, 03:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Nuclear weapons are stored in such a manner that they could not achieve critical mass unless a dedicated arming sequence is carried out and so a nuclear explosion could not occur.

Les
Old 23 September 2013, 06:42 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Nuclear weapons are stored in such a manner that they could not achieve critical mass unless a dedicated arming sequence is carried out and so a nuclear explosion could not occur.

Les

So the report is rubbish then?

"One fell to the ground unarmed. But the second "assumed it was being deliberately released over an enemy target - and went through all its arminOne fell to the ground unarmed. But the second "assumed it was being deliberately released over an enemy target - and went through all its arming mechanisms save one, and very nearly detonated over North Carolina," Mr Schlosser told the BBC's Katty Kay.

Only one safety mechanism, a single low-voltage switch, prevented disaster, he said.
g mechanisms save one, and very nearly detonated over North Carolina," Mr Schlosser told the BBC's Katty Kay.

Only one safety mechanism, a single low-voltage switch, prevented disaster, he said."
Old 24 September 2013, 12:41 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

This thread is a good read:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircr...-accident.html
Old 24 September 2013, 03:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
So the report is rubbish then?

"One fell to the ground unarmed. But the second "assumed it was being deliberately released over an enemy target - and went through all its arminOne fell to the ground unarmed. But the second "assumed it was being deliberately released over an enemy target - and went through all its arming mechanisms save one, and very nearly detonated over North Carolina," Mr Schlosser told the BBC's Katty Kay.

Only one safety mechanism, a single low-voltage switch, prevented disaster, he said.
g mechanisms save one, and very nearly detonated over North Carolina," Mr Schlosser told the BBC's Katty Kay.

Only one safety mechanism, a single low-voltage switch, prevented disaster, he said."
Please show me where I said that the report was rubbish.

Why do you infer criticism of my explanation of the safety situation as far as nuclear weapons are concerned?

The radio active components of a nuclear weapon are held apart in such a way that they do not form a critical mass. This way they cannot detonate in a nuclear explosion.

When the weapon is required to detonate those components mentioned above are combined and the weapon will create a nuclear explosion very quickly indeed.

It is of course very lucky that this did not happen in the case of the two weapons which were accidentally released. Even though one weapon went through the electrical sequencing post its release the final stage of combining the radioactive components obviously did not occur, I would imagine that would have to be deliberately switched into the circuitry before deliberately releasing the weapon on a target.

Les
Old 24 September 2013, 03:49 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
It is of course very lucky that this did not happen in the case of the two weapons which were accidentally released. Even though one weapon went through the electrical sequencing post its release the final stage of combining the radioactive components obviously did not occur, I would imagine that would have to be deliberately switched into the circuitry before deliberately releasing the weapon on a target.

Les
Reading the thread on PPRUNE, it suggests our bombs weren't as complex as ones carried by the B52:

nothing as sophisticated as that for the RAF. All the safety locks removed and the system set for Live. The remaining security and safety was simply the bomb doors and the bomb firing switch.

The bomb doors could be opened manually by either pilot or if set to Auto by the bombing system under the control of the nav rad. The release could be initiated by either pilot, or either nav once the bomb doors were open. Or the bombing system could do it itself. Touch of the Dr Strangegloves there.

I pointed out to a gp capt once that it was possible to set the aircraft on an automatic bomb run about 20 minutes out from the target and for the crew to jump out at that point. He was not amused, but it was certainly feasible. For some targets it would have been possible to bail out over neutral territory.
The ball bearings stories are bordering on comical. Makes me wonder how the human race is still on the planet.
Old 26 September 2013, 05:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Not quite right I am afraid. Before release a positive switching action had to be taken to finally arm the weapon or it would not go off as a nuke, and the worst danger would be from breathing Plutonium Oxide! That is really bad for you by the way.

The weapon could not be released unless the pilot allowed it despite what release system was used. Providing that the correct switching sequence had been followed, the weapon would detonate automatically after release. The switching sequence was of course a deliberate action and was part of the decision to attack. Our own system was well organised and was also foolproof. It was not dangerously and unnecessarily complicated.

I discovered years ago that Group Captains are rarely if ever amused unless they are amongst their mates in the bar!

Les