Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

GT Mountain bikes

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2002, 03:53 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has any one got or tried an i-Drive GT bike?

Also, how can I tell what size bike I should buy.

Any other links to good bike shops appreciated.
Old 22 May 2002, 03:57 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Dunno what that exact bike is, but you will be OK with a 19" frame. However you may find that a smaller frame will have a lower centre of gravity and be more manouveurable - have a spin on a medium and then a large mate and see how you feel, having adjusted both's seat height. Large is clearly better for roads and traffic as you see further ahead, and are more visible...

D
Old 22 May 2002, 04:05 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

The frame depends on your size as well no point in haveing a small frame becuase you think it is more manouverable and not being comfortable.

Also you should note that manufacturers measure their frames from different points. A 21" Specialized frame equates to a 19" Marin frame.

Pete, it really is important to try the bike before you buy. Considering the amount of areas they can be adjusted to get them to fit you better.

One good site I found is http://www.bikemagic.com

I personally ride a heavily altered Marin Alpine Trail but am thinking of changing the frame and have been looking at Rocky Mountain or Santa Cruz.

Again you need to get the bike that suits the riding you will be doing a downhill bike for cross country will be to heavy and bouncy. If you are sticking to roads then a full suspension bike is a bit over the top.

I have tried the lower and mid range GT bikes and found them to be reasnoble.
Old 22 May 2002, 04:08 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

I should also point out visibility on the roads is dramatically improved with lights! Cats Eye lights are some of the best at the moment are very bright at a decent prices. Of course you can go to extremes like the Cats Eye Stadium 3 which uses an external bottle cage battery and throws out 80w of white light in such a manner it is brighter than a cars full beam!

Helmets are no longer subject to VAT and are essential. Some manufacturers (Specialized, Giro, Met to name three) will take a broken helmet and replace it at a reduced cost if you tell them how you broke it. They use it as in-the-field testing!
Old 22 May 2002, 04:11 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

Pete
try www.edinburghbicycle.com they have a section somewhere (think under section called info) for bike sizes.
try www.bonthronebikes.com look at the £401-500 and £501-600 sections for 2001 GT i-drive 5.0. very good prices
Michael (Catalunya)
Old 22 May 2002, 04:21 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

I was looking for the Ed bikes link! It is on the home PC strangely not on the work one!
Old 22 May 2002, 07:42 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Pete - I have a GT Backwoods - hardtail not i-drive(see recent mountain bike thread for pic) and to give you an idea of the size of the frame I'm 5'9" and the frame size is listed on the frame as Large.

To save you looking

DP.

[Edited by drumsterphil - 5/22/2002 7:50:01 PM]
Old 22 May 2002, 11:12 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Hi Pete,

Ah, a man looking at a bargain ? The i-Drives are no longer made and GT (in their old form) have gone under. GT are back, but will stick with lower quality (read cheaper) bikes.

The i-Drive is a great ride (IMHO) and if you don't care about having a solid warranty, then you cannot go wrong for the money being asked for them now (note, I've heard some stores are supplying their own warranty to make consumers feel more happy about buying). Spares for the important pivot points etc. can be had and a man of your calibre should have no problem replacing these bits your self

i-Drive parts (i.e. the OE bits you can't get anywhere else, unlike all the other components like brakes, shocks, wheels etc.) can be had from the excellent guys at BETD: http://www.betd.co.uk/acatalog/BETD_..._Parts_21.html

And is the norm while talking bikes, a pic of my i-Drive 3.0 with a few mods:

Cheers

Ian
Old 22 May 2002, 11:30 PM
Marin
Scooby Regular

Have a look at MBR magazine (Mountain Bike Rider) as it has loads of reviews and a fax-back service for past bike tests. I am biased towards Marin as I've got an Eastpeak full sus with Pace forks, Hope discs etc. However, it's been totally reliable and rides well. Best to try a good bike shop and have test rides on models that you fancy...

Happy riding.
Old 22 May 2002, 11:39 PM
Luke
BANNED

Ian

Very nice bike... Love the "Avid Mechs" brakes. I use one on my Kona. They are first class brakes.
Old 23 May 2002, 08:11 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Ian,

What rims and tires are you running?

Are those brakes cable operated, it is a bit hard to make out from the photo.

Marin person myself!

Mark
Old 23 May 2002, 09:41 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Luke,
Yep, you can keep your hydralic brakes, Avid mechs rocks Well, they give me more than enough bite, easy to adjust and you don't mess with fluids.

Mark,
The wheels are Syncros items and the tyres are WTB Motoraptors (from memory). But I've junked the tyres as they were too thin/soft and put on some 2.3 Conti Vertical Pros, which are just excellent.

Cheers

Ian

[Edited by IWatkins - 5/23/2002 9:42:34 AM]
Old 23 May 2002, 09:42 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys

The bike is an i-Drive 6.0. From what I can make out, this was a frame only option, sold to bike companies for them to build up. It has a Fox Vanilla rear shock (pressurised with a preloadable spring) not the Rock, but it has the Shimano XL set and V brakes and the frame is the same for all models up to the 3.0.

The frame is a large and does seem to be about right. Its £399 and has a 12 month warranty, so seems like damn good value.

I really liked the i-Drive design, as it means that pedal pressure isn't being wasted on the suspension...

Sounds like I've talked myself into it
Old 23 May 2002, 09:53 AM
Luke
BANNED

Pete

Have you thought about my Cannondale (20.inch) that is for sale???
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=92833

Ian. I have Hopes on my Cannondale, they are very good. But as long as you change the cables every couple months the Avids are the best.
Old 23 May 2002, 02:12 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Ok, as its customary then

He's one of the i-Drive thingy

[Edited by Pete Croney - 5/23/2002 5:05:17 PM]
Old 23 May 2002, 02:26 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Luke

I did look, but wanted a full suspension job.

Most of my riding is on the bridalways near my home. I have a non suspension bike at the moment and its no fun at all in the summer, when the ruts are hard.