ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Bike Racks

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2000, 07:49 PM
Scrappy2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Got a nice mountain bike for xmas, only problem is transporting it (bit of a squeeze with the seats down)...
Anybody got any suggestions for a decent bike rack (needs to hold two). Needs to come off when not in use. And most importantly no damage to my beloved Scoob....
Old 29 December 2000, 12:39 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Going through the Impreza accessories catalogue, I fould what you're after.

If you have a five door car, with the roof rails, you can get two bars to go across them, and then buy an adapter to hold the bike upside down on the rails.

With a four door car, you get the two bars across your roof and under the rubber seal on the roof. Again the same adapter is used to hold the bike(s).

Have a chat with your dealer, but it looks expensive!!!
Old 29 December 2000, 10:47 AM
blp
Scooby Regular

Lots of experience in this area mate. Drop me a line on email. brett@lloydpayne.com
Old 29 December 2000, 01:50 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I had a little grief with this myself:
I wanted roof bars/bike rack for my STi 4 door and originally went for the Thule (pronounced Tooley!?) system which Halfords sold and guaranteed would fit.
Thing is, although the bodyshell is essentially the same as the UK car, I have the OE wind deflector strips fitted. As the Thule system hooks under the plastic strips next to the door seal (which were obscured by the wind deflectors), they had to go back.
I did however keep the actual Halford bike carriers as they were loads cheaper than the Thule ones and are a universal fit.
I ended up getting the proper Subaru bars which fit more securely than the Thule items and inspire a little more confidence as they dont rest on the actual roof panel. (I have inadvertantly cruised at a ton with 2 bikes on the roof ).
The downside to the Subaru item is that it is a litlle fiddlier to fit initially, although they are better when you have done it once or twice.

Neil.
Old 29 December 2000, 02:34 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Neil,
Did the Subaru racks fit with the wind deflectors still on?

I would definatley go for the roof bars, I made the mistake of using a boot mounted rack and now have a badly dented bootlid. Had two bikes on the rack and after a bumpy road the foam bits had dented the boot
Old 29 December 2000, 02:54 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

RichB

Yes they do because the feet actually locate into 4 lugs hidden below the 2 rain channel things that run front to back on the roof (on 2/4 door models anyway).

It's a much more robust fitting than the Thule one and as you say, I could imagine a bumpy road may cause the "bakofoil" roof panel to dent here or there through the rough treatment......

The Subaru rails even have a clip to secure the pillar mounted ariels at a "jaunty angle"! Nice...

Neil.
Old 29 December 2000, 07:45 PM
Scrappy2
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks guys, roof bars it is then - thanks to Brett (blp) for the very comprehensive mail...