Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Your headphone advice and ideas please

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2013, 09:31 AM
LDNSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your headphone advice and ideas please

Last edited by LDNSTi; 01 September 2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 30 August 2013, 09:59 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Beats are crap and simply a fashion fad followed by the sheep. That's from someone who tried to use them for DJ monitoring once.

For DJ'ing I use Pioneer or Sennheiser but I dunno if they would be comfy for cycling.
Old 30 August 2013, 10:07 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Beats are crap and simply a fashion fad followed by the sheep. That's from someone who tried to use them for DJ monitoring once.

For DJ'ing I use Pioneer or Sennheiser but I dunno if they would be comfy for cycling.
Agreed. Beats are just a fashion thing (for some strange reason). Im a fan of skullcandy headphones. bought a pair for £60 a few months ago and they're great! Have heard good things (no pun intended) about sennheiser though.
Old 30 August 2013, 10:30 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Personally I would never even consider using any headphones when cycling, especially if on a road.
Old 30 August 2013, 10:33 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peedee
Agreed. Beats are just a fashion thing (for some strange reason). Im a fan of skullcandy headphones. bought a pair for £60 a few months ago and they're great! Have heard good things (no pun intended) about sennheiser though.

That's the brand I was thinking about - Skullcandy. They have really good drivers (40-50mm I think) in the cups and don't weigh a lot either. Couple DJ mates swear by them as a budget choice, as you say £60 isn't too bad - especially when top end Pioneers are £250 odd
Old 30 August 2013, 10:38 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a fairly pricy pair of Shure in-ear headphones (£80 I think they were). They're very comfortable to wear but in all honestly, when I hold up a pair of earphones that came with my iphone5, I can't tell any difference in sound quality.
Old 30 August 2013, 10:59 AM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

It depends how much you want to spend.

The Ultimate ears range from Logitech are very good, Ultimate ears were bought out by Logitech.
Old 30 August 2013, 12:00 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LSherratt
I've got a fairly pricy pair of Shure in-ear headphones (£80 I think they were). They're very comfortable to wear but in all honestly, when I hold up a pair of earphones that came with my iphone5, I can't tell any difference in sound quality.
I'm tempted by the Sure things but feel the same way when I tried them...very difficult if not nigh on impossible to tell the difference between them and a £20 Panasonic pair...
Old 30 August 2013, 12:06 PM
jabbroni
Scooby Regular

Try V Moda i produce music and i swear by them Crossfade LP2 over ears are magic
Old 30 August 2013, 12:56 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Personally I would never even consider using any headphones when cycling, especially if on a road.
This ^^^

And if you're off-road listen to the birds, the wind rustling the trees etc.

On the subject of which I seem to see quite a few folk driving with earphones in, why?
Old 30 August 2013, 01:02 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz

On the subject of which I seem to see quite a few folk driving with earphones in, why?
Because they had to spend all of their money on the cheapest. lowest spec Audi, that they couldn't afford a model with mp3/bluetooth/ipod connections
Old 30 August 2013, 01:27 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I've seen people driving with earphones in... possibly one of the most stupid things to do? It should be illegal.
Old 30 August 2013, 01:58 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Peedee
I've had three sets of Skullcandy in ear headphones and they've been really good in terms of sound quality, but a couple of those sets didn't last very long. The only reason I got the third was they were dirt cheap (about a third of the price I paid for Sennheisers) on Amazon.

If you have the budget, Sennheisers are the best I've had. I was given a set of their over the ear type ones, they sounded great and lasted about 4-5 years with pretty much daily use (they were attached to my computer). I think they were about £100 to replace.

I also have a set of Matix ones for my tablet as they sound better and are more comfortable than the in ear ones, but were only about £15 off ebay. Not as good sound as the Sennheisers though.
Old 30 August 2013, 03:14 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Absolutely

I can't think off a more fcukwitted thing to do when cycling than totally inhibit one of the things most likely to keep you out of the morgue

It never ceases to amaze me the number of joggers (usually women) I encounter with headphones in, usually on the wrong side, completely oblivious to the traffic around them
Old 30 August 2013, 03:34 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
I've seen people driving with earphones in... possibly one of the most stupid things to do? It should be illegal.
Some are for hands free.
Old 30 August 2013, 05:21 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Sennheiser CX300's were the best bang for buck in-ears i've ever had. Lasts a very long time until so dort got the hold of them and pulled the wire out of them "accidently"
Old 30 August 2013, 08:20 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on what you listen to, what your preferred sound signature is and how big your wallet is.

Let us know and i'll throw a few suggestions your way, been an avid head-fi member for a few years now, and have built a reasonable collection.

Jvc FXZ200's are awesome, with the 8mm built in sub, sounds like a full range speaker in your head.

But Yamaha EPH-100 are very good, and for budget VSonic VSD1 are a bargain for £30 or so.
Old 31 August 2013, 01:39 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Agreed 100%

If, like me, you like to listen to radio as you drift off to sleep then sennheishers are great. Especially the noise cancelling versions.

Only ever jog / ride with the music playing low (if at all). I've had a friend of a friend get messed up by a lorry as they didn't hear it as they jogged across a road.
Old 31 August 2013, 05:24 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sony Walkman W273 4GB Waterproof MP3 Player for Swimming, Running and other Sports, with Wearable design - Blue: Amazon.co.uk: Audio & HiFi Sony Walkman W273 4GB Waterproof MP3 Player for Swimming, Running and other Sports, with Wearable design - Blue: Amazon.co.uk: Audio & HiFi

Just bought these, for swimming and running.

Because 35 laps of the pool gets little tedious, and will be good for running also - although wish had radio as well.

Certainly not for the bike though. I'd prefer to stay alive.!
Old 01 September 2013, 07:45 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Headphones + cycling / jogging on the road = potential Darwin Award candidate.

Don't do it.
Old 01 September 2013, 11:06 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Only total idiots would use headphones when cycling in traffic on the road.

I want to have all my senses available to see and hear everything around me. The click of someone opening their car door as I pass, the engine note rising as a bus pulls out from the stop, the clatter of a diesel taxi being behind you (I want to know of the pending taxi death threat!!).

If you are in the middle of nowhere or off road, then fair enough.

If you are on road, then don't do it.....

That's my personal opinion but here's the other side of the argument

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/cyc...nothing/013329
Old 01 September 2013, 09:25 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I have Bose QC3s - the noise cancelling ones. Very good at low to mid volume and the noise cancelling is amazing but they soon distort once cranked up a bit.