Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Have your children just got their exam results?

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2013, 05:18 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have your children just got their exam results?

Hey folks,

More of a post for any parents that have kids that have just got their GCSE / A-level results, however, no doubt there will be members on here who are considering it as a career, a little bit interested in general or are actually going through the joining process at this very moment!

The Army is recruiting at the moment, both regular and territorial. There are over 220 different roles (actually a lot more than that once you're actually in the Army).

The Army can also sponsor you to go through University too if you're thinking about gaining a degree. We all know how expensive uni student fees are these days. Obviously in return, you have to serve time with the British Army.

For all information, please click the link below which will take you straight to the British Army website.......

http://www.army.mod.uk/

I have currently served (in total) almost 10 years in the Royal Engineers. I say 'in total' because I left the Army in 2005 and rejoined in 2008, so I know what it's like to live both as a member of the Armed Forces and as a civilian.

I have also just spent a year on the Army Recruiting team, visiting schools, colleges, universities, town centres, careers offices etc advising people on joining, what to expect, the lifestyle, travel and all other aspects of being a soldier.

If you have any questions whatsoever, please feel free to PM me. I would appreciate questions only connected to actually joining the Army or Army life, no world politics or anything.

This is no 'Official British Army' post, just a personal thing. I use this forum a lot, and quite frankly I think its great! I know its used by a lot of people, so if I can do something to at least help 1 person out, I'm happy with that!

Cheers guys and gals!

Last edited by Peedee; 24 August 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 24 August 2013, 05:58 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With cutbacks and people losing their jobs, is there still much recruitment going on compared to say five years ago?
Old 24 August 2013, 06:05 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
With cutbacks and people losing their jobs, is there still much recruitment going on compared to say five years ago?
Possibly 'not as much', but the Armed forces is still recruiting strongly, very much so .
Old 24 August 2013, 06:17 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

I don't know any other employer that could lay off thousands yet still recruit actively and get away with it.
I served in the 80's and to be honest i discourage my sons from joining up. It can be a good career for some but for others you're just a government dogsbody that they will just sweep away when it suits them. I did however suggest the Royal Engineers (Ubique) as he is doing a civil engineering degree at uni, but i said if you join it's as an officer and its because you can't find a job in civvy street.
Old 24 August 2013, 06:58 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopperman
I don't know any other employer that could lay off thousands yet still recruit actively and get away with it.
I served in the 80's and to be honest i discourage my sons from joining up. It can be a good career for some but for others you're just a government dogsbody that they will just sweep away when it suits them. I did however suggest the Royal Engineers (Ubique) as he is doing a civil engineering degree at uni, but i said if you join it's as an officer and its because you can't find a job in civvy street.
In respect to the recent redundancy tranches, it certainly isn't just a case of "we'll just randomly pick the first X amount of soldiers", as is perceived by the majority of the public. You have to fall into certain criteria to even be considered for redundancy, and even then you aren't guaranteed to get it. I personally fell into the criteria for most recent tranche, but Thankfully I didn't get it.

Because the turnover of people in the armed forces is so big, they have to keep recruiting. Lets say you have a company with 10 people in it. You have to make 2 of those people redundant, but 2 other people decide to leave for whatever reason......you still have to replace the 2 that have left on their own accord. The Forces are no different.

A career as either a soldier or an officer can open up many avenues in the Army, depending on what corps / regiment you join. You can also become an officer without a degree (a very common myth that you have to have a degree to become an officer).

Last edited by Peedee; 24 August 2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 25 August 2013, 12:25 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

How many exams do you have to fail to qualify for an army career?
Old 25 August 2013, 11:04 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jods

Old 25 August 2013, 12:45 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Children should always be allowed to make thier own choice of career without any pressure from anyone else,only advice if they ask for it.

Les
Old 26 August 2013, 11:23 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
I'm not sure, but perhaps you could have stretched to an sti and not just a Wrx with the very competitive pay-rates of the Armed Forces.

Originally Posted by Leslie
Children should always be allowed to make thier own choice of career without any pressure from anyone else,only advice if they ask for it.

Les
I completely agree Les, and this post certainly isn't aimed at 'forcing' anyone into the Armed forces, its merely an advertisement, the same as say, someone putting an advert for a university on here. It's one of many career paths that people can take, I'm just spreading the word . I will add however that I have had quite a few PM's from folk asking very good questions and I have been as honest as I can. I certainly don't aim to 'sugar-coat' life in the forces, its not all good, the same as any job really

Last edited by Peedee; 26 August 2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 27 August 2013, 02:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Like most things really, its full of plusses and minuses, its up to you personally how you regard the balances.

Les