Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any home security experts on here, need some advice please MASTERBLASTER :)

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2013, 08:01 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any home security experts on here, need some advice please MASTERBLASTER :)

Hi all

I'm after a bit of advice.

We have recently taken over a new property which has a separate garage which is currently being converted in to flats, however last night some thieving scum of the earth went through the hassle of cutting through the metal railings at the very corner of the property and broke in to the garage block and ripped all the copper out of there, took nothing else bar the copper.

Now the house is set in a bit of grounds all railed off, has security lights everywhere and the main house is belled to the hills, what I'm wondering is can I wire a masterblaster siren off a pir?

I want to put a few pir's around the grounds just inside the fence that will be linked to the siren.
Before people say " what about animals etc setting them off" i am 99.9% certain that a cat dog fox etc would not set them off where im planning on putting them and there are no immediate neighbours just a 24 hr garage 200 yds up the road so if it was set off inadvertently then it's not too much drama, obviously the closest surrounding houses would hear it, not blaring, but still noticeable, also the garage down the road is 24hrs who I've spoken to and will ring me should it go off, I'm also looking at maybe adding a dialler off the main house alarm (please don't think I'm too clued up on this because I'm really not ) somehow linked to the external pir's? I've been told that I can do it if I have outputs on the alarm or something?

Basically it would be a nightmare if it had to be hard wired back to the house so something wireless possibly? There is good open space with nothing in the way, so if I put a few sensors off the points of the main house and the garage (main house is set in the middle of the grounds with garage off to the right roughly 50mtrs which is the furthest point of the property to the right) would that work? Ideally I would just like the siren off the pir's as I can hide them in the tree line before they even get close to the main property wired off the garage property ( i have checked for good clearings and line of sight), like I say I'm not bothered about neighbours and if they do complain even better because I know it's working and can be heard I would put a delay relay on the lights and get them to come on 10 secs or so afterwards ( has big outdoor sun lights surrounding the garden )

Can anyone tell me please if I'm barking up the right tree or if I'm ṕssing in the wind, any advice and guidance would be much appreciated if anybody has any experience in this field

Only reason I thought of this is because I use to work for a breakers yard and they had these sirens around the place which were set off via pir, but I'm not sure of it was controlled by the alarm, I just use to go in to the office and push a button on the wall that was not a key pad for an alarm, it just killed the power I think, again I could be totally wrong, but I could hear them from my house when it went off so it's loud and that's what I want, to scare the living sh́t out of them, and as it happens they are lucky not to have fallen in to the well as where they gained access there is a drop a few feet over, so if the alarm goes off and they run you never know I just may catch the *******s

Sorry for the long post

Cheers all!!

Craig
Old 23 August 2013, 08:07 PM
wrx scooby wrx
Scooby Regular

get yourself a f**king mean guard dog
Old 23 August 2013, 08:47 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

If it wasn't going in to a Dom care home I would bud, I be straight down the pound asking for the ones that nobody wants due to temper lmao
Old 26 August 2013, 01:07 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Bump
Old 26 August 2013, 01:38 PM
bigtel
Scooby Regular

Hi,

You could trigger a Masterblaster with just a PIR/PIR's but you would need to use a relay as well to switch the N/C output to a N/O one. You would also need a power supply with battery battery backup and it would only ring for the amount of time the PIR is detecting movement.

It would be better to buy a cheap alarm that has built in battery back up and can also control the amount of time the MB goes for.

Tel
Old 26 August 2013, 02:02 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Tel

There Is currently an alarm on the main house which could control it, do you know if I can get quality pir's that have a decent range on them, as that way I could possibly set them on the corners of the property as they would have good line of sight from all angles and they would then pick up anybody heading towards the garage and main house.

Was not sure if the pir would work and gathered that it would only sound for the time set on the controller, but my way of thought was any sound is better than none, only reason I wanted to put them in the tree line was to deter them cutting the railings again, but I can put up with that providing they don't get to the property as that's my main concern, I would use powered fence and razor wire, but due to the nature of the business we are not permitted to use it unfortunately
Old 26 August 2013, 02:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

One particular model of Masterblaster should have built in 12v relay contact. I know as ours has one.

As mentioned you will need a 12v DC power supply for the PIR and to work the n/o contact. And 240v supply for the motor inside the master blaster.

I have one on my house alarm... its bloody loud. Can hear it a mile away on a quiet night (False alarm: that went down well with the neighbors ) . I wouldn't want it on my exterior PIRS...the internal sounders let me know if something is going on outside - Voltek securilite. Not cheap. and you'd probably want a pulse count module to prevent false activations.

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 August 2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 26 August 2013, 06:58 PM
bigtel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Thanks for the reply Tel

There Is currently an alarm on the main house which could control it, do you know if I can get quality pir's that have a decent range on them, as that way I could possibly set them on the corners of the property as they would have good line of sight from all angles and they would then pick up anybody heading towards the garage and main house.

Was not sure if the pir would work and gathered that it would only sound for the time set on the controller, but my way of thought was any sound is better than none, only reason I wanted to put them in the tree line was to deter them cutting the railings again, but I can put up with that providing they don't get to the property as that's my main concern, I would use powered fence and razor wire, but due to the nature of the business we are not permitted to use it unfortunately
The quality long range PIR's (Redwalls etc) unfortuantely cost alot.

The best thing to do would be to get a wirefree alarm with a built in speech dialler to fit in the house, then use the internal radio PIR's (Bit of silicone to seal them) hidden outside. You can then get a phone call within a few seconds of them going off. You could also fit a wireless siren outside if you wanted a bit of noise.
Old 26 August 2013, 09:46 PM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My pal breeds dogs for security work. They are nasty...

Pay someone £50 a night to stand guard and get a dog.
Old 26 August 2013, 10:01 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

House alarm sirens are 12v.
Car batteries are 12v get yourself a couple of magnetic switches and car door type switches and your away.
I also find the personal rape type alarms are good for securing bikes tools mowers that type of thing
Old 26 August 2013, 10:42 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

As Tel said Redwalls are the best but you pay a lot of money. I would also look at GJD sensors which are not bad.
Im not sure which model you will need but its the ones that have no and nc loops.

Johnny
Old 27 August 2013, 12:31 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Am I the only one here that read the thread title as MASTURBATION originally?
Old 27 August 2013, 11:55 AM
bigtel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
Am I the only one here that read the thread title as MASTURBATION originally?
Yep ............ must have been on your mind
Old 27 August 2013, 01:42 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Well it was 12:31am when I posted