Reward for dolphin killer

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2013, 01:52 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Reward for dolphin killer

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...y-8725164.html

Makes my blood boil. These power boats are a menace, and there was that one a few months ago that ran over that family killing several of them.
Old 22 July 2013, 01:57 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see both sides of this, but if you are going to allow dolphins and boat to use the same space, then what do they expect to happen.
Old 22 July 2013, 01:58 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful

Makes my blood boil. These power boats are a menace, and there was that one a few months ago that ran over that family killing several of them.
Both have happened just around the corner to me.

The recent incident was actually their own boat - a 300bhp RIB that somehow went out of control without a kill cord - blokes head got stoved in, the girl was left completely chopped to bits. Two others in the family have hideous injuries - a mate stopped the boat.

We sold our speedboat a week later.

The recent dolphin one appears to be goons getting too close and one either hit the dolphin (unlikely as they are extremely agile) or it died of shock. Pretty gutting; I was swimming in that area only last week.
Old 22 July 2013, 02:20 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful

A pretty shocking incident, but to be expected occasionally unfortunately

But to be fair, most boat owners are responsible people, just like most car owners, don't condemn them all because of the actions of a few.

As far as the other incident goes, as Matteeboy says, the family in Padstow were hit by their own boat, my opinion on that incident I will keep to myself
Old 22 July 2013, 05:55 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
I can see both sides of this, but if you are going to allow dolphins and boat to use the same space, then what do they expect to happen.
Dolphins are a bit like cats,you cannot persuade them to do anything different to what they want to do.

They are saying that the dolphins were being chased by prats in their motor boats and the one that died was hit by one of the boats. It was a young one. Why on earth should they want to try to chase them around and risk harming them like that. The dolphins were doing no harm and they are lovely creatures anyway.

The cops are trying to trace the oaf who killed that dolphin-I sincerely hope they catch him.

Les
Old 22 July 2013, 06:07 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

That news story contradicts itself...

“Sea Shepherd UK, together with Bob Archell’s Dive Master Insurance, is offering a reward totalling £2,000 for information leading to an arrest and successful conviction of the persons responsible.”
and

'I understand it was not a deliberate act but an accident but we need to educate powerboat owners about how special this species is.
Old 22 July 2013, 06:11 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
A pretty shocking incident, but to be expected occasionally unfortunately

But to be fair, most boat owners are responsible people, just like most car owners, don't condemn them all because of the actions of a few.

As far as the other incident goes, as Matteeboy says, the family in Padstow were hit by their own boat, my opinion on that incident I will keep to myself
The boats are bloody loud and dangerous to wildlife and anyone in their way.

I just don't see the point personally, although I understand some people want to race them about like some peeps want to track cars. That is fair enough, but it should only be allowed in some very specific and controlled stretches of water, and there should be some strict licensing rules and tests, so that awful accident that happend can't happen again.
Old 22 July 2013, 06:28 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I agree with licensing and a test for sure.

It's amazing how you can buy pretty much anything for the water and launch it without knowing how to use it properly.

I've had several speed boats and launched them from Rock, up the estuary from where this happened and that tragic accident with the family.
Old 23 July 2013, 09:21 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Dolphins are a bit like cats,you cannot persuade them to do anything different to what they want to do.
I disagree
I went to a place called discovery cove in Florida where you could swim with the dolphins.
It wasn't really swimming though, it was more a case of you stood in the water and the dolphin was summoned to float beside you.
You then hung on to the dolphin using two of its fins while it swam.
Old 23 July 2013, 02:58 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
I disagree
I went to a place called discovery cove in Florida where you could swim with the dolphins.
It wasn't really swimming though, it was more a case of you stood in the water and the dolphin was summoned to float beside you.
You then hung on to the dolphin using two of its fins while it swam.
Well I did not mean that you cant persuade them to work with humans.

When I was at a tourist trap in Florida once there were dolphins in a pool and every time I pointed my camera at the pool one of them came swimming towards me and stuck his head out of the water to pose for me!

What a player!

Les
Old 23 July 2013, 05:32 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

I used to run a beach shop and whenever there were dolphins about, a load of speedboats would turn up and basically harass them. They thought they were just viewing the dolphins, but the number of boats in such a small area was a real problem. The lifeguards used to have to call the people out of the water as it was getting dangerous.
Old 23 July 2013, 06:18 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I love seeing dolphins when surfing (even saw a humpback whale once!) but I'd never get near one in a boat.

One surfed on my own around Winter time with half a dozen dolphins leaping around me. Truly magical.
Old 23 July 2013, 06:41 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Dolphins often swim alongside speedboats by choice.
Old 23 July 2013, 06:56 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Yep but in that's different to circling around them.

There's a famous one in Salcombe that leaps over warerskiiers as they take off; it's amazing!
Old 23 July 2013, 07:01 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
Dolphins often swim alongside speedboats by choice.
Probably not into their props though.
Old 23 July 2013, 07:16 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

The part when reading that the other dolphins will morn, made me sad a little as I know how intelligent they are. I've swam will dolphins abielt on holiday and it was a very good experience.

R.i.p
Old 23 July 2013, 07:38 PM
Time4another
Scooby Newbie

Too easy for any idiot to jump into a boat. Have a boat on Loch Lomond and the level of human stupidity you see never ceases to amaze.
Old 23 July 2013, 08:16 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Time4another
Too easy for any idiot to jump into a boat. Have a boat on Loch Lomond and the level of human stupidity you see never ceases to amaze.
All those chavs who won the speedboat star prize on such game shows as "3-2-1", Bullseye, The Price is Right and Family Fortunes have come back to haunt us.
Old 23 July 2013, 08:48 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
All those chavs who won the speedboat star prize on such game shows as "3-2-1", Bullseye, The Price is Right and Family Fortunes have come back to haunt us.
Trust me, it's the loaded ones who let 14 year old Piers drive their 300bhp RIB that are the worst. I've seen some shocking stuff in Rock!
Old 24 July 2013, 09:35 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I love seeing dolphins when surfing (even saw a humpback whale once!) but I'd never get near one in a boat.

One surfed on my own around Winter time with half a dozen dolphins leaping around me. Truly magical.
Duckidiving a wave with about 10 of them in it coming straight at you isn't so magical. That's pretty scary.

Best place I've ever seen them was Jefferys Bay in SA, about 200 of them would form a ring and chase fish into the middle. Saw whales getting it on there as well. Luckily they were about 500m out as a horny whale is a quick way to ruin a surf.

I haven't been to Rock in years, I used to be mates with one of the few guys who lived there and considering all the families that turned up in the summer were in top jobs or at top schools, most of them seemed pretty stupid, just no common sense at all.
Old 24 July 2013, 09:39 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oilman
Duckidiving a wave with about 10 of them in it coming straight at you isn't so magical. That's pretty scary.

Best place I've ever seen them was Jefferys Bay in SA, about 200 of them would form a ring and chase fish into the middle. Saw whales getting it on there as well. Luckily they were about 500m out as a horny whale is a quick way to ruin a surf.

I haven't been to Rock in years, I used to be mates with one of the few guys who lived there and considering all the families that turned up in the summer were in top jobs or at top schools, most of them seemed pretty stupid, just no common sense at all.
TBH the awful accident appears to have a large dose of daftness attached to it. I've seen a boat being driven directly onto the trailer on the concrete pontoon. The prop caught the pontoon, the guy right next to it was very very lucky to escape injury - and many more.

Rock has calmed a little - the bu99ers are all over here in Polzeath now!

"Swam" (I use the term loosely) with a 200ish count of dusky dolphins in Kaikoura, NZ - that was pretty cool. I saw a whale last year in Porthtowan! And a few in Oz and NZ too - they're quite large aren't they...!
Old 24 July 2013, 09:52 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

As well as stupidity, there used to be very little consideration for others as well, my mates mum used to run a cafe in Rock and the kids on holiday were trying to nick her tables and chairs so they could have a beach fire. They honestly couldn't see the problem with it when she confronted them.

I remember Polzeath having some issues when I used to be up there, but nothing like Rock. There never seemed to be any police to do anything about it.

A whale at Porthtowan? Nice. I've seen some things that resemble whales there, but they were on the beach
Old 24 July 2013, 10:34 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

As well as stupidity, there used to be very little consideration for others as well, my mates mum used to run a cafe in Rock and the kids on holiday were trying to nick her tables and chairs so they could have a beach fire. They honestly couldn't see the problem with it when she confronted them.

I remember Polzeath having some issues when I used to be up there, but nothing like Rock. There never seemed to be any police to do anything about it.

A whale at Porthtowan? Nice. I've seen some things that resemble whales there, but they were on the beach

I grew up (from 14) around here - things got a bit wild in the early 90s with massive beach parties, fires everywhere, etc.

They largely moved to Polzeath when the Rock pubs had an outside drinking ban. Except now only one pub is left... we're leading a consortium to try and buy and renovate one of them that shut down!

The whale was a weird one - called the Marine Mammal people to report it (another guy saw it) and ended up getting an earful for not reporting it immediately (from a beach with no mobile reception...!) - apparently it was a youngish male with some netting caught on it; I had no idea at the time. I was a little shocked at being "told off" for doing what I thought was the right thing!
Old 24 July 2013, 11:17 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

I used to like the pub down towards the car park at the end of Rock, facing Padstow. Can't remember the name though as it's probably 12 years since I've been in there. The other one almost up near Trebetherick (?) was alright too.

The marine mammal people were probably a bit paranoid as there was a whale washed up near Sennen last year or the year before.
Old 24 July 2013, 12:46 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I used to like the pub down towards the car park at the end of Rock, facing Padstow. Can't remember the name though as it's probably 12 years since I've been in there. The other one almost up near Trebetherick (?) was alright too.

The marine mammal people were probably a bit paranoid as there was a whale washed up near Sennen last year or the year before.

That was the Upper Deck, it's now the Rock Inn - lost a lot of it's charm IMO. The other one was the Carpenters, then Carters but has now shut down - only the Oystercatcher (where I worked as a teen!) is left now!
Old 24 July 2013, 08:13 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

People need to be educated. I doubt killing the dolphin was intentional, a shocking accident I expect. There are a lot of boats heading down to the South West for the summer, being towed along the M5, A30 etc. Many of the owners have limited or no experience and that's where the trouble is.

I've owned motor/power boats for years and occasionally see dolphins in Mounts Bay. I sometimes hang around and see if they want to play, but I never chase after them.

Originally Posted by Leslie
Well I did not mean that you cant persuade them to work with humans.

When I was at a tourist trap in Florida once there were dolphins in a pool and every time I pointed my camera at the pool one of them came swimming towards me and stuck his head out of the water to pose for me!

What a player!

Les
Les, they are not Players, they are pushed to do this and to entertain. It's much better seeing them in the wild. I strongly disapprove of any dolphin or orca being held captive.
Old 25 July 2013, 05:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
People need to be educated. I doubt killing the dolphin was intentional, a shocking accident I expect. There are a lot of boats heading down to the South West for the summer, being towed along the M5, A30 etc. Many of the owners have limited or no experience and that's where the trouble is.

I've owned motor/power boats for years and occasionally see dolphins in Mounts Bay. I sometimes hang around and see if they want to play, but I never chase after them.

Les, they are not Players, they are pushed to do this and to entertain. It's much better seeing them in the wild. I strongly disapprove of any dolphin or orca being held captive.
I think you are being over critical of the term that I used. It is surely obvious that I meant that he was enjoying posing for me of his own free will. Why else would he do that completely of his own accord? That is why I said what I did about his performance.

I agree completely that such creatures should never be kept in captivity.

Les
Old 25 July 2013, 08:15 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

It is all about usage, a Speedboat can be used considerately, as can JetSkis, but some many choose, rather than going out to sea to **** about close to land and make a nuisance of themselves, I have seen so many conflicts between beach goers and powered water craft owners, and it is always down to inconsiderate use, they seem to attract ignorant showoffs, I have seen a woman spat at by a 50 odd year old bloke who had been on a Jetski and thought it was a laugh to come into the small bay and upset fisherman and spray people, have seen a Speedboat owner push a seventy odd year old man over for daring to remonstrate. There is nothign wrong with any boat or ski, it is always the owners, and they do attract certain types, you know, Mitsubishi Pickup, Jet Ski and an attitude.
Old 25 July 2013, 08:43 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

What about this one blatantly killing a dolphin !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...our-chase.html
Old 27 July 2013, 04:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I imagine it was "blatantly" killing it so that it could eat it as part of its normal diet.

Can't really blame the whale any more than we can blame ourselves for breeding and killing animals to eat ourselves.

Les