Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Christmas Drinking / Driving ***READ***

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2001, 09:31 AM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Apparently the Police have launched a reward scheme for people who notify the police of drivers that drink.

The way it works is...

You may be observed in a public house drinking.... when you leave, if someone calls the reward line and gives your number plate and details etc.. they will recieve an award should you get pulled that night.

I don't condone drink driving but beware as people could grass you up over a Pint or even a half.

Rewards could fetch up to £500.

Anyway be careful, drive safely and don't drink.
Old 29 November 2001, 09:39 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

good

Tiggs

ps- they would need a conviction before they paid a reward
Old 29 November 2001, 09:43 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Agree with Drink driving rules, no problem there!

This smacks of the ****'s/Communist dictator states where people used to grass each other up, where will it end?

Double bonus - we get to do the Polices job for them, should free up more plod to man the speed cameras!

Emagrating seems like the only option, this government elected for a second term, innocent treated like criminals, criminals protected from the law, $hite health service, cr@p schools and now more tax hikes on the cards and the motorist penalised at every opportunity!

Rant over !

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 11/29/2001 9:45:55 AM]

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 11/29/2001 9:46:30 AM]
Old 29 November 2001, 09:47 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Gonna make me a forture Saturday night if y'all don't behave at the Woodman!
C\
(Pretty scary though, anyone with a grudge can call, can imagine alot of wind ups!)
Old 29 November 2001, 09:55 AM
Bin Laden
Scooby Regular

In the good old days you could get quite bladdered and get away with it, the public were quite happy for people to be allowed a few drinks and drive home within reason. The police were seen as unreasonable like they are today with GATSOs etc. No wonder the pub industry is on its knees especially in rural districts.
The good thing about Italy and France is they have the right sort of attitude to a glass or 2 of wine over lunch.
Old 29 November 2001, 09:58 AM
humbug
Scooby Regular

agree about the continental attitude on alcohol, it's become a sackable offence where I work to have wine over lunch - I mean how uncivilised, we're such a nation of Philistines.
Old 29 November 2001, 09:59 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Also, I heard it was Thames Valley Police force that were piloting this scheme.

Dave
Old 29 November 2001, 10:02 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Most drivers on the road in south London seem to be DRUGGED drivers rather than p8ssed, so what are they going to do about that? They just get away with it it seems to me.
Old 29 November 2001, 10:18 AM
Shaggy Dog
Scooby Regular

At the risk of being put up against the wall & shot

I have to agree with the concept.

In this day & age, drinking & driving is indefensible - IT KILLS PEOPLE [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

The second of my brothers-in-law to get done for DD ( ) was driving ONE mile from the pub to his house. On the way he got stopped by the police at the scene of an accident. Copper smelt drink & breathalysed him. Brother-in-law says "look I live just over there" & copper says that the bicyclist lying in the road has just been knocked over by a drink driver [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Whose side would you be on? Brother-in-law 'cos he was "unlucky"? Or would you expect the copper to let him off? Or be the relations of the man lying in the road?

Drinking & driving kills people & any initiative to stop it gets my vote & I would do it anyway, but not for the reward - that is insiduous.
Old 29 November 2001, 10:22 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"the good old days" hmmm, sounds lovley.

we cant have the same attitude to drink as in france etc because joe bloggs doesnt drink like the french- he has pint after pint, acts like a **** then drives home.

Tiggs

ps- if anyone spots a drink driver in Reading call me and i'll call the police to save you feeling like a "grass", personally i'd rather be a grass than find out my wife/kid has been ploughed into at a bus stop by joe blogs.
Old 29 November 2001, 10:24 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Drink driving is for to55ers, anyone who disagrees needs their license taken off them.

Cem
Old 29 November 2001, 10:32 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"This smacks of the ****'s/Communist dictator states where people used to grass each other up, where will it end?"

dont know but as its started with an offence that puts lots of people into an early grave why dont we wait and see.

i'd pay more tax to have cctv on every major road in my estate and a cop or two actually "walking around".

and if i had a neigbour that would shop me if i was a drug dealer, thug, drink driver etc then they'd be more use than the "dont even say good morning" muppets i have right now.

Tiggs
Old 29 November 2001, 10:32 AM
Robyn
Scooby Regular

If you drink and drive you deserve the book to be thrown.

If I am driving I will not have even one drink as anything (and one drink does affect you) that slows you can mean life or death for you, your passengers and innocent people.

One that catches a lot of people is the morning after still being over the limit. Again best policy if you have to drive the next day dont get hammered take it easy. Again you will not be at your best to drive the next day.

Dont think of it as being the autorities maybe catching you but more about hurting or killing people!
Old 29 November 2001, 10:34 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Angry

>Also, I heard it was Thames Valley Police force that were piloting this
scheme.
Dave <
What a fcukin surprise. If its draconian and guranteed to drive a wedge between the police and the public, Thames Valley will do it.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] IMO of course
astraboy.
Old 29 November 2001, 10:35 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Angry

I'm with the Shaggy and Blowdog on this. I would report a drunken driver without the reward. The details I got where that if you reported someone and they where over the limit, you would get around 100 - 150 quid. If the went to court etc etc, this could go up to 500 depending on the level of alcohol.
Now let me see - I have two options
1 - Report rubber man getting into the car - Save a kids life and get 500 quid to go towards next years reduced insurance, as there will most likely be less accidents given that all the drunks are off the road
2 - do nothing - go to the kids funeral - pay the increase insurance

If anyone can persuade me that option 2 is correct, then I will not phone the hotline
Old 29 November 2001, 10:45 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

No way the police are gonna do something constructive Help I have just passed out

Seriously though this is a superb idea................an ex boyfriend of mine was killed by a drink driver who threw him off his moped 200 yrds and he died in the helicopter on the way to hospital The driver more or less got away with it on some stupid issue [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I worked at a petrol station and reported someone for having a terrible amount of whisky smell on his breath I was later informed he was 3 times over the limit

Lets stop this drinking and driving lark [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] it kills
Old 29 November 2001, 10:47 AM
robman
Scooby Regular

Mate was mowed down by a drunk driver who mounted the pavement on the evening that we all got our o-level results and were about to start our careers. Mate died. I attended a funeral at 16 f*!king years old and saw a friend in a box. Still affects me to this day so god knows what it's like for his family.

Please don't condone drink driving of *any* amount of alcohol. How many people say, "I like to have a glass of wine in the evening as it helps me relax and sleep better"? Well I would rather not have relaxed, sleepy people behind the wheel of a tonne of steel.
Old 29 November 2001, 10:48 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

IMHO opinion if you drink and drive, you get caught and charged tough ****!!!!
Old 29 November 2001, 10:52 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Likewise robman it was the start of the college year and we were 17.........terrible memories to have
Old 29 November 2001, 10:53 AM
spider
Scooby Regular

Going by the general tone of replies here it's good to see that the "don't drink & drive" campaigns over the years seem to be having the desired effect.

One thing I've noticed is that (generally) the younger the person is, the less tolerant they are of D&D. Had this very discussion with ScottW the other day as I'd noticed the trend at our local Scoob meet.

Most of the guys Scott's age (early 20s) just wouldn't have anything other than a soft drink, whereas some around my age (mid 30s) would have a half or pint.

Mind you, we've come a long way from my Dad's day when there were effectively no laws (especially in Somerset where I grew up). He remembers the local doctor (FFS!) driving round with a dent in the roof of his car where a guy's head hit it when the doc drove home p1ssed one night!

Stay safe folks - could you handle a death on your conscience just for a drink that you don't 'really' need? I know I couldn't.

OK, lecture over - anyone want my soapbox?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 29 November 2001, 10:57 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

I totally agree with the last 3 posts as I was nearly killed by a drink driver back in 96.
However, I cant help thinking of a scene in Red Dwarf, when Lister & co are stranded in a facist dictatorship and they come accross a poster on a wall proclaiming "Be a government informant, betray your family and friends, fabulous prizes to be one!!!" It was a joke and people laughed at it, but it is now reality.
I think that in principle it is a good idea, but naming the amount? its a little too Strike It Lucky for me. IMO it would be better if something along the lines of
"You are eligble for a cash reward if you do your duty as a citizen and report drink drivers"
Also, is £500 really the price they put on endangering human life?
astraboy.
Old 29 November 2001, 11:03 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Angry

astroboy it is better than what the drink driver got for killing my damn good friend...........3 year ban and suspended jail sentence

JUSTICE SYSTEM WHERE ARE YOU???????????

WHY DO YOU THINK WE ARE ANGRY TOWARDS YOU [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 29 November 2001, 11:03 AM
Tigger1306
Scooby Regular

Just to stir things up a bit,

I saw a program ages back, where basically they had a guy on who stood up and said, I think that people should be able to drink what they like and get behind the wheel of there car. He continued with, but if the person, is stopped behind the wheel, they get a decent jail sentance, if they knock someone down and kill them, then they should go down for life for the murder, not for 5 year for manslaughter which they get away with now.
Old 29 November 2001, 11:09 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

errr, so they couldnt drink what they like??????

thats like the existing law on banks- rob then if you want but if caught you go to jail

Tiggs
Old 29 November 2001, 11:13 AM
Tigger1306
Scooby Regular

I never said I agreed with it, just putting in a point that I had heard.

I don't think the drinking what you like would work, but I do think that more jail time would.
Old 29 November 2001, 11:26 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Angry

Nice for the driver to have the option

Victim doesn't
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

OK fine, no problem with that.

Now how about a big Christmas TV campaign and reward for dobbing in scheme asainst BURGLARS, MUGGERS, RAPISTS, CHILD MOLESTERS etc etc. all of which cause misery and possibly even death (ask Tony Martin).

Why all this effort to stop just one criminal activity?

Rob B
Scooby Regular

Cool

Behind this 100% - what is wrong with this part of the so-called "Police State"? Its not as though they are encouraging the reporting of drivers whose exhaust's are 1dB over the noise. Its not petty, its going to hopefully make those who are blase about drink driving think again.

Cliche alert: if it means there will be less drunk killers on the road how can it be a bad thing?
Old 29 November 2001, 11:30 AM
Rob B
Scooby Regular

Angry

So BarryK, does that mean if you knew of a burglar, child molester etc you wouldn't report them?
Old 29 November 2001, 11:33 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Angry

In my experience on abuse etc the police do sweet FA so I have lots of anger when I see them concentrating on drivers - easy crimes instead of ones that are more serious and can affect lots of people's lives in other ways........

I have no problems with this drink driving scheme though

Just don't drink and drive!!!

[Edited by MichelleWRX1994 - 11/29/2001 11:34:10 AM]

Quick Reply: Christmas Drinking / Driving ***READ***