Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car Park scrape question - Illegally parked ?

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2013, 12:14 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Car Park scrape question - Illegally parked ?

Mrs Funkii had a slight scrape in the local Supermarket.

Handed over her insurance details but something about it got me wondering...

The car she scraped was parked at the end of the bay right in fron of the shop in the hatched (denoting no parking) area with a good 2 ft of the car overlapping on to the carriageway, just another lazy so and so that couldn't be bothered to park properly "I was just dropping my wife off".

the reason she scraped the bumper was due to avoiding action as there was a car coming on the opposite side of the road as she was parallel to the illegally parked car. She pointed out to the driver that he was parked illegally and due to his positioning, he pointed out that his car was stationary and switched off, although recognised he shouldn't have been parked in the position he was etc.

I dont think she has an argument, but as it is technically a private car park and he shouldn't have been parked as he was would her insurance company look at this and find a technicality ?

Any thoughts ?
Old 15 July 2013, 12:20 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd make a big deal about it but don't most scrapes in car parks end up spilt 50/50?

Might be better to settle private?
Old 15 July 2013, 12:23 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

IMO makes no difference whether the car was parked illegally or not. It is the responsibility of the driver of the moving vehicle not to hit anything that is stationary.
Old 15 July 2013, 12:29 PM
Turbo Tone
Scooby Regular

Make sure you pass all this information on to the insurance. Best to get their opinion on this.

I know a few years back the Mrs hit her wing mirror on a car parked on some double yellows when someone came mowing through in the opposite direction. He tried to claim for a new mirror until I pointed out he was parked illegally and told him to "do one". Never heard anything off his insurance company about it.

Let us know what your insurance company have to say on the matter.

Good luck
Old 15 July 2013, 12:33 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jonc
IMO makes no difference whether the car was parked illegally or not. It is the responsibility of the driver of the moving vehicle not to hit anything that is stationary.
This.
Old 15 July 2013, 02:23 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you hit a stationary car,it is generally taken as your own fault no matter how the other car has been parked.

Les
Old 15 July 2013, 02:27 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As said, let the insurance hit them 50/50 for parking like a ****.

I have no time for these people.
Old 15 July 2013, 04:31 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

As I mentioned above I dont think she'll get anywhere but it was the arrogance and laziness of this guy that pee'd me off more than the scrape and you see it more and more especially the more expensive brand new metal, they must have special rights

"I'm an Audi driver we can bloody well park where we like and you can also forget about asking me to indicate, it's beneath me"
Old 15 July 2013, 04:57 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Well then in that case she should haved completely mashed up the Audi, she would have gained great satisfaction and got great value for money out of her insurance premium.
Old 15 July 2013, 05:12 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

It's normally AMG's that you see parked at angles in the hatch lines outside Sainsbury's. Owners are too important to park properly.

You see a lot of rich chavs in AMG's now, razzing it everywhere.
Old 15 July 2013, 05:24 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I doubt you have any chance if it was stationary. I would imagine the insurance company would apply the same logic as if it was on a public road but I would be interested to know how you get on.

Technically I sometimes park my car “badly” right at the back of the supermarket car park where its empty and overlap 2 spaces (yes I know I am worse than a paedo and deserve to be burnt at the cross) to stop the usual sheep from parking right next to me. If someone scraped my car I would hope they would not get away with it on a technicality.
Old 15 July 2013, 07:15 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
I doubt you have any chance if it was stationary. I would imagine the insurance company would apply the same logic as if it was on a public road but I would be interested to know how you get on.

Technically I sometimes park my car “badly” right at the back of the supermarket car park where its empty and overlap 2 spaces (yes I know I am worse than a paedo and deserve to be burnt at the cross) to stop the usual sheep from parking right next to me. If someone scraped my car I would hope they would not get away with it on a technicality.

slightly different, as your in a space, you expect cars to be in spaces.
Old 15 July 2013, 09:21 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone has dinged my front wing in Morrisons parked in a suitably large far away Subaru spot. I am very cross. I don't know how they have managed it.
Old 15 July 2013, 11:28 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Possessions!!, if your not careful they end up owning you
Old 16 July 2013, 07:36 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Id like tothink both insurance companies would work together to both gains profit and call it 50/50 but like above. If a street has cars down either side and you think you may hit one then you shouldnt use that route.
Get your wife to claim whiplash!
Old 16 July 2013, 08:24 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they claim through their insurance, and the insurance say it is not 100% your fault (which would be their preferred option), they will end up paying Excess, have to state they have been involved in an accident and will suffer loss of no claims bonus.
If I was their insurance company, I would not like to think my client parks their care in an unsafe manner and would be inclined to apportion a degree of blame in this instance.
Maybe have a chat with your insurers about this.