Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

NI - the 'Marching Season'

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2013, 10:22 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NI - the 'Marching Season'

Why is it grown adults feel the need to march up and down deliberately provoking 'the other side' all in the name of religion?

Sorry, but it always comes across as utterly pathetic and immature to me.

The fact that a body called the 'Parades Commission' even needs to exist makes it all the worse.

Get a life would be my statement to the lot of them!
Old 13 July 2013, 10:25 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thought it was just keep fit exercise mainly

Last edited by dpb; 13 July 2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 13 July 2013, 11:33 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched about 20 "adults" ranging from teens to old enough to know better protecting some scallywags repaint murals depicting terrorism recently and thought to myself, really? in 2013?

I have no problem with the marching, I do have a problem with the hangers on who ruin what could be a nice day out.
Old 13 July 2013, 11:09 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

There are individuals involved in the violence are total *****.
Parades commission does make sense though, otherwise there would be total widespread chaos.
However, things like a particular band stopping outside a chapel playing the 'sash' - despite being told not to do so, is bang out of order in my opinion, never mind total provocation.

The marching season will never change I think, there will always be this period in July.
I have no problem with this marching thing, but it must be justified and respectful for all.

I truly wish it would all go away and everyone would 'get on' during the twelfth time.

Whilst I'm am no where near the violence, I hope it fcukes right off totally
Old 13 July 2013, 11:53 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of boredom, unemployment, hatred of the police, being Irish and an excuse to hit the streets on mass = a massive punch up.

Last edited by bioforger; 13 July 2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 14 July 2013, 09:23 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
There are individuals involved in the violence are total *****.
What I don't understand is they are mainly youths. I would have thought that if the so called peace process were working at all then it would be the older generation who still harboured this religion backed hatred of 'the other side' not the younger generation.

Parades commission does make sense though, otherwise there would be total widespread chaos.
Yes, but I think what I am driving at is the whole parades thing seems no more than an excuse to provoke people and exists primarily for that purpose these days. If these people can't march without the intention of deliberate provocation then ban the marches.

I truly wish it would all go away and everyone would 'get on' during the twelfth time.

Whilst I'm am no where near the violence, I hope it fcukes right off totally
I am sure you feel like many others do, but I wonder if this softly softly approach is part of the problem. There seems to be this widespread desire to not put the military back on the streets as it is seen as a step backwards, but surely two nights of petrol bombing the police for no good reason is a step backwards. Maybe the shock of the military back on the streets might focus the mnd of those with the power to do something about these idiots!
Old 14 July 2013, 10:37 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
What I don't understand is they are mainly youths. I would have thought that if the so called peace process were working at all then it would be the older generation who still harboured this religion backed hatred of 'the other side' not the younger generation.

This is an interesting point you have brought up.

The dogma seems to be that racism/hatred is learned, but I wonder if this is just naive.
If so, then using it as a premise to tackle racism is a complete waste of time.

I wonder if it would not be better to assume we are racist by nature - rather than being in denial. One should never underestimate the power of denial.
I think we would do better to recognise this in ourselves and through self awareness, take on the corrosive effects of racism.

Last edited by cster; 14 July 2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 14 July 2013, 10:40 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Yes, but I think what I am driving at is the whole parades thing seems no more than an excuse to provoke people and exists primarily for that purpose these days. If these people can't march without the intention of deliberate provocation then ban the marches.

I am sure you feel like many others do, but I wonder if this softly softly approach is part of the problem. There seems to be this widespread desire to not put the military back on the streets as it is seen as a step backwards, but surely two nights of petrol bombing the police for no good reason is a step backwards. Maybe the shock of the military back on the streets might focus the mnd of those with the power to do something about these idiots!
Youths are being orchestrated by the older generation.

Putting soldiers on the streets won't solve anything, in fact it would most likely make things worse.

The problem, IMO, began when the orange order leader made the stupid ******* comments that he did on the 12th afternoon before they started the return leg of their march.

Matt Baggott was right in what he said about the comments - it was nothing but reckless

The protesters still fail to realise that the simple fact is they're wrecking their own areas
Old 14 July 2013, 10:53 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

IIRC the likes of the orange order get quite alot of funding (some via EU).

With that in mind, would it be an idea for anyone who has suffered damage or harm due to the marches to bill/sue the orange order for damages (including police costs)? The fact they are given EU "peace grants" to incite and cause riots really should make them alot more culpable and responsible be for how they organise their marches.

Although to be honest I'd rather trace every single imbecile acting out of order and hold them personally responsible, both legally and financially.

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 July 2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 14 July 2013, 05:34 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
being Irish
What a stupid thing to say

Care to elaborate a bit more on this 'being Irish' thing?
Old 14 July 2013, 05:46 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
IIRC the likes of the orange order get quite alot of funding (some via EU).

With that in mind, would it be an idea for anyone who has suffered damage or harm due to the marches to bill/sue the orange order for damages (including police costs)? The fact they are given EU "peace grants" to incite and cause riots really should make them alot more culpable and responsible be for how they organise their marches.

Although to be honest I'd rather trace every single imbecile acting out of order and hold them personally responsible, both legally and financially.
They do get some funding, and this should seriously be reviewed and therefore penalised.

However, your last point is best and I totally agree.
The ********* causing the violence are recorded by the police with cameras on the police landrovers.
There is a bunch of the retards that were arrested being taken to a special court sitting today, however they generally just get a slap on the wrist from I see rather then being jailed for example.
I suggested this to someone recently, and was told the prison does have the room.
My suggestion then is put several of them in a single cell, and if they don't like each other then all better - they can beat the **** out of each other every day while the prison officers turn a blind eye.

The whole 'twelfth' thing causes the local economy a fortune every year due to these thugs.

If the police used live rounds then it might be a different ball game, but in reality that's never going to happen.

It all pisses me of totally every single year.

PS - the orange order leader still is refusing to comment on the violence - which in my opinion was all fuelled by him in the first place.
Old 14 July 2013, 05:48 PM
ericooper
Scooby Regular

I cant help thinking parades commissions bans on parades is another hit on british patriotism, its always the british man whos raceist, why should a traditional british parade not march down a british street in Britain? Cuz of fear of offending a race who class them selves as unbritish or irish, the peace process has gone full swing i think, to the point loyalisms becoming the persecuted side to be on, parade bans, union flag taken down, as much as the republicans hate it, its technically Britain. Riots caused by people feeling there way of life is threatened to please others, why cant the parade take place, and the republicans just go to work, and forget about it, watch corrie and before they knw it the 12s passed peacefully. Years ago they would march past the ardoyne and the police would separate the 2 communities, now to attempt to make it easier they just stop the parade, hoping for less tension and less trouble, probably tho making it worse. I do agree, why play music outside a church just to offend? Espacialy when a deal was made the parades could go head given the respected these religious places, the orange order let them selves down there
Old 14 July 2013, 05:54 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

If these people can't march without the intention of deliberate provocation then ban the marches.
They tried that one time, the end result wasn't good lets say

However I agree with you to a degree, for example that one particular band that felt the need to play 'the sash' outside the chapel, should be made pay the consequences for their actions.
All other bands adhered to the brief given to them.
Old 14 July 2013, 05:58 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ericooper
I cant help thinking parades commissions bans on parades is another hit on british patriotism, its always the british man whos raceist, why should a traditional british parade not march down a british street in Britain? Cuz of fear of offending a race who class them selves as unbritish or irish, the peace process has gone full swing i think, to the point loyalisms becoming the persecuted side to be on, parade bans, union flag taken down, as much as the republicans hate it, its technically Britain. Riots caused by people feeling there way of life is threatened to please others, why cant the parade take place, and the republicans just go to work, and forget about it, watch corrie and before they knw it the 12s passed peacefully. Years ago they would march past the ardoyne and the police would separate the 2 communities, now to attempt to make it easier they just stop the parade, hoping for less tension and less trouble, probably tho making it worse. I do agree, why play music outside a church just to offend? Espacialy when a deal was made the parades could go head given the respected these religious places, the orange order let them selves down there
I agree with many of your points - especially the whole flag thing, it flew on the city building for many years and no one batted an eye, so why the **** take it down.

Having said that, the Union flag doesn't fly over the city halls on the mainland all year.
Regardless though, they should have just left it alone in the first place.