Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Job interview experts needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2002, 07:28 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Going for an interview next week, and as I’ve only had 1 interview experience in my 15 yrs of employment, I’m not really up on interview techniques. I have to give two 10 minute presentations on two different subjects, basically my qualites etc and an optional topic…….. Now, the thing is how do you set up a presentation,
as I’ll probably be using a flip chart and talking through my good points etc. What do you say and how do you start it off?
Are there any websites that could aid me, any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers in advance!

CRAFT
Old 21 May 2002, 08:39 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Craft

Most of the job sites have advice about interviews on them, such as:

Monster
Fish 4 Jobs
Workthing

etc etc

Best of luck, and most of all make sure you are prepared - i.e. background of the company, recent press releases, role spec etc etc.

Is it in a similar field as you are in now?

Si
Old 21 May 2002, 08:44 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I'd say be calm but not cocky, works for me Other than that, I dunno I'm sure you'll knock em dead though, good luck

Give me a shout if you need a reference

Bob
Old 21 May 2002, 08:52 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Wink

Make sure you ask lots of questions about the company, the job, your colleagues etc.

If you've grilled someone about their experiences etc. for a while and they look OK - you ask them if they have any questions for you and they say 'not really' it's a big turn off - are they serious about this job or what ?

It's a two way thing - don't be too cocky, but be confident and ask why you should choose to work there (over all the other options you have )
Old 21 May 2002, 12:33 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Craft,
Hi there, erm yeah without knowing a little more about what sort of presentation your doing, or what subject it's likely to be on, i can only say, structure your presentation (not meant to sound patronising !!) have a clear begging middle and end, inject a small amount of humor but most importantly know your subject andbe prepared to diverse from the main subject and have to bring the conversation back to the original subject.

Other than that seem interested in the company and not so much the benefits, that is what they do and new target markets as opposed to healthcare, and company car that can be negotiated once they have decided they want you !!

Good Luck,

Phill

Old 21 May 2002, 12:43 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

'have a clear begging' - aint that the truth lol!

A useful tip can be to contact the company in question and providing they have one, ask them to send you a brochure or report on the company, then if they ask the normal 'what do you know about xyz' you can answer from what you have learnt in the brochure.

Always seems to go down well that you've taken the trouble to find out about them and there company, tho be careful not to get to into it if there share price is falling like a lead balloon lol.
Old 21 May 2002, 12:56 PM
Chris T
Scooby Regular

Craft - first rule of presentations

tell them what you are going to say
Say it
tell them what you have just said.

I have been a recruitment consultant for seven years - have interviewed well over 2000 people.

your delivery (verbal) and non verbal are FAR more important than what you actually say. 93% compared to 7% for content!

So - practise in front of a mirror - do use a flip chart but ONLY write key words on it - NOTHING ELSE. keep the audience attention on you - make eye contact with every person in the room at least four or five times in the ten minutes of speaking.

Ie address your audience not the flip chart.

so an example

I will summarise my key experience by looking at my academic and formal qualification, then my practical experience and finally the skills I am still developing.

Then tell tham about each area

Then say
To sum up what I have said - I have strong skills in practical knowledge etc - which make me the right candidate for this post.

JOB Done

BTW - polish your shoes - firm handshake and look them in the eye !

(sorry if teach to suck eggs)
Old 21 May 2002, 02:20 PM
ChrisB

Thumbs up

Nothing to add to that Craft, apart from good luck mate!
Old 21 May 2002, 06:04 PM
NDT
Scooby Regular

Smile

one flipchart slide per 2 mins of talk - or less.

everything in threes:
there are 3 main points, 1,2,3
point 1 has 3 interesting bits, a,b,c
etc etc.

Most important, think of all the obvious questions (e.g. why are you leaving your current job, what interests you about this job, give me an example of when you have led a team etc etc etc) and rehearse you answers.

If you can, role-play the interview with a friend. Excruciating but really useful.

I've just left a job as a management consultant and we got vast amounts of presentation training most of which helped, but practise helps more!

I also did about 50 interviews with various headhunters etc before getting my current job - same thing, practise was essential, hence the role-playing is useful.

good luck
Nick

[Edited by NDT - 5/21/2002 6:06:54 PM]
Old 21 May 2002, 09:34 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

I've only interviewed about 50 people so I'm still learning, but what I have found is that if I like the person (first few minutes of the interview)and they mostly fit what I'm looking for, then I sometimes end up leading their answers to what I want to hear.

So really first impressions count, I like to see smart dress, I like a firm handshake, good eye contact, has done homework on my company, speaks clearly and confidently and looks eager. I also look for flexibility and a good understanding of customer care/common sense. This is very hard to teach as its usually a fundamental value from a young age - you've either got it or you haven't.

Good luck!
F
Old 21 May 2002, 10:16 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Smile

Nothing much to add to the above, but try to get interviews as often as possible to improve your technique. that is what I do
Old 21 May 2002, 11:10 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

CRAFT,

all of the above, plus be yourself - don't try to put on some false image 'cos they will see straight though it.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

mb (who will be re-starting doing interviews himself soon, after 20 years! )
Old 21 May 2002, 11:13 PM
teen_machine
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Craft..... Me startin lookin for jobs aswell now ... very scary!!!

GOOD LUCK with the interview!!!

Laura
Old 22 May 2002, 07:29 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers for all the replies and words of encouragement peeps, some really helpful tips.
The job I'm going for is for a managers position at the company I currently work. As I've worked at the company for the last 10yrs, I know the interviewers very well. I know I can do the talking bit it's just how to set it all off etc...
With the flip chart, I was going to write key words on, then talk about them ie, good man-management skills...blah blah blah
And yes, I will be practicing in the mirror and with Mrs CRAFT I've even roped in my team to listen what I've got to offer

Cheers again, and I'm off to polish my shoes

CRAFT
Old 22 May 2002, 01:16 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Hi

I've been doing some recruiting lately so as an interviewer, here are my tips...

1. Wear a good suit & tie (I'm amazed at how many didn't)
2. Be there on time
3. Don't say ANYTHING negative about your current company, situation etc. you'll sound like a whinger
4. Do lots of homework on the company and ask questions
5. Don't use clichés
6. Beforehand, go through your CV and think of a positive outcome for every task/project you have done.

HTH
Gary
Old 22 May 2002, 03:01 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

[quote}I will be practicing in the mirror and with Mrs CRAFT[/quote]

Thought you were looking for a job not a family

Good thing about internal interviews is you know the company, and it's weaknesses, and what you can contribute. Trouble is they know you so you can't gloss or b/s, but take the opportunity to highlight personal qualities with links to your achievements.

Its the features and benifits game, "I'm naturally well organised and have the capacity to plan my workload effectively.....which means..I've worked for the company for 10 years therefore....

Are the other candidates internal, if so assess their strengths and ensure you cover those areas at interview.

Will the panel be swayed by technology, if so consider a powerpoint presentation. This also allows you to walk and talk focusing on the audience, instead of turning from them to scribble on a flip chart.

If they are liable to consider you a flash git stick to pen and paper. Use your own pad especially if you have crap handwriting like mine, or you don't regularly use flip charts. Just put in the main heading and then layout in light pencil. It keeps things neat, you don't run out of space and prompts you not to miss any points.

Try to appear calm and relaxed and MAKE SURE U FINISH THE PRESENTATION IN 10 MINS.

Old 22 May 2002, 03:23 PM
joni
Scooby Regular

One turn off for me is when too much emphasis is placed on how the move will help "you" develop.
If you are to be employed as a manager, avoid giving the impression that you will need to develop before becoming effective.
Also can imply ( probably incorrectly) a lack of self confidence.