Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hit by object on motorway.

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2013, 09:20 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Hit by object on motorway.

Once again something has flown from a lorry while on the motorway and hit my car.

At first I thought nothing of it until it was closer and swerved to miss it but the thud was so loud I thought it was going to come through the roof.

We pulled over to find the roof was untouched However the plastic triangle on the passenger rear door and the glass has a scrape where it hit

The triangle section will need replacing as its punctured it and I'm lucky I was only doing 65ish as any different it would have gone through the window.

I don't know what lorry it came from as there was two infront over taking the two on the left. But what if it had gone through the window screen and without CCTV would I have a leg to stand on if I knew what vehicle it had come from?

Last edited by RobsyUK; 24 June 2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 24 June 2013, 09:31 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a lot of CCTV coverage on our road network. I dunno if you can report to the old bill and request it?
Old 24 June 2013, 10:22 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Had something similar years ago in my Seat Leon - I was overtaking a lorry full of scrap metal, the wind got under a lump of metal making it airborne lifting it from the rear of the lorry, it landed square on my windscreen, I really think it was only the surface area of the piece which prevented it going through.

What weakend my position was that when the police attended, I asked them to have a look for the item in the central reservation, I thought it was large enough to be easily found, but in darkness, they failed to locate it. However without having been able to see into the back of the lorry from which it came, I was able to offer a description of the triangular piece of metal and its colour.

Squeezed the cost of a new screen, wiper arm and body repair for the edge of the bonnet and front edge of the roof out of them.

Apparently the legal position at the time was, the vehicle did not need a load net, as its cargo was capable of remaining contained in the lorry under its own weight.
Old 25 June 2013, 06:37 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id throw things at you if you were behind me...........
Old 25 June 2013, 09:28 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I once had a lorry wheelnut come through my windscreen whilst overtaking a lorry on the A1 and towing a caravan

It showered me with powdered glass, (luckily I was wearing sunglasses, or would have been blinded), hit me in the left shoulder, bounced up, hit the roof-lining and smacked my eldest son under his right eye

I was able to lift off and find a lay-bye.

At first we didn't know what had happened, the bang was incredible, then I saw the hole and said, "I think something came through the windscreen!", and a little voice behind me said, "It did and my face is bleeding....".

It had sheered off the stud.

As I think back, I just think that had any one of several things been different, we could have been in the middle of a multi-vehicle pile-up and probably not survived.

I guess it wasn't our time.........
Old 25 June 2013, 09:47 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by alcazar
I once had a lorry wheelnut come through my windscreen whilst overtaking a lorry on the A1 and towing a caravan

It showered me with powdered glass, (luckily I was wearing sunglasses, or would have been blinded), hit me in the left shoulder, bounced up, hit the roof-lining and smacked my eldest son under his right eye

I was able to lift off and find a lay-bye.

At first we didn't know what had happened, the bang was incredible, then I saw the hole and said, "I think something came through the windscreen!", and a little voice behind me said, "It did and my face is bleeding....".

It had sheered off the stud.

As I think back, I just think that had any one of several things been different, we could have been in the middle of a multi-vehicle pile-up and probably not survived.

I guess it wasn't our time.........
I had a very similar thing happen to me on the M62 going to Hull. I'm not sure what piece of debris hit the car but fortunately it hit the windscreen right at the top, the edge of the roof took most of the impact. I was overtaking a couple of big lorries with open loaders on the back, as I started to draw alongside the second lorry there was an almighty bang like a gun being fired. I nearly jumped out of my skin and almost lost control of the car. Initially I didn't know what had happened. It wasn't until I saw the crack at the top of the windscreen that I realised what had happened. It was bitter pill to swallow having to accept that there was nothing I could do except to take the next exit to check the damage.
The screen was cracked a couple of inches and there was a nice fifty pence sized dent on the roof edge. Thankfully the debris had hit the roof otherwise I fear it would have penetrated the windscreen and caused possibly serious injury. I was able to complete the journey but had to have the windscreen replaced forthwith. Fortunately the insurance covered that, although I did have to pay for the roof damage.
Thinking back it could have been much worse if I had lost control of the car or if the piece of debris had smashed the windscreen.

Last edited by Maz; 25 June 2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 25 June 2013, 09:55 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Driving through the Wallasey tunnel I was hit by something falling from the car in front. Looked like some kind of engine cover. It damaged my bumper but I couldn't tell if the car in front had dropped it or just driven over it.

I stopped and asked the police there to check and they told me to speak to my insurance, no interest in checking the cameras. I was only young so didn't argue.

Trending Topics

Old 25 June 2013, 09:55 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not for nothing is there a £1000 fine for having an unsecured load.
Old 25 June 2013, 10:06 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by alcazar
Not for nothing is there a £1000 fine for having an unsecured load.
That's scant consolation given what happened to you and me.
Old 25 June 2013, 06:50 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
id throw things at you if you were behind me...........
So it was you who threw the ditty nappy