Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

driving courses

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2002, 12:41 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Some feedback back please, a friend and I are looking to do some sort of red letter day esque driving experiance, looking at around £100-150 a head (cheapskate gets you see, not to mention short on that stuff that makes the world go round) and would like to hear of anyone recomendations, experiances, courses to avoid !!

Anything you have would be very usefull as there is not much out there for this price limit !!

Cheers all,

Phill
Old 20 May 2002, 01:42 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Phil

Don't know if this is what you're after but I can totally recommend Andrew Walsh of 1st Lotus http://www.1stlotus.com/intro.htm

We did the North Weald airfield day with him (in our own cars) for £90 each which was a special rate negotiated by the SIDC for it's members. It was a fantastic day out, so good in fact that I'm going to do it again

I went from being a total scaredy cat in the morning to being completely comfortable chucking the car about at high speed Andrew is a great bloke and a very skilled driver

Sal
Old 20 May 2002, 01:43 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

me and 2 mates are doing one with him in a couple of weeks.

Tiggs
Old 20 May 2002, 01:48 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

Tiggs

Are you doing the airfield day in your own cars?
Old 20 May 2002, 01:53 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Tiggs and Sal,
Just took a look at the URL and me thinks i shall give him a call, the course looks great for the cash, way better than most i've seen (fek wolly's). Anybody reading pls continue to post reply's as more iron's in the fire are never a bad thing !!

I'm selling my car right now, and my mates is a P.O.S anyrate so it looks like it could be the Elise yet !

Cheers,

Phill

N.B Tiggs when are you down, as we are looking to book between now and mid-june !
Old 20 May 2002, 01:55 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

im there on Fri 14th of june with Timbo of here and another mate- we are using our cars- 2 WRX's PPP and a lotus elise.

Tiggs
Old 20 May 2002, 02:00 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

You'll love it As it's 10 mins from me I may pop down for a look

I can't wait to do it again but this time I may take the MX5 for a bit of rwd action Did it in the scoob last time and I was buzzin' for days My dad even managed to spin his scooby

It's so nice being on an airfield 'cos there is nothing that's gonna jump out of the scenery at you

At the end of the day Andrew takes each of you for a blat round in his Elise - prepare to be blown away by his car control

Sal

[Edited by scoobychick - 5/20/2002 2:01:45 PM]
Old 20 May 2002, 02:06 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Sorry guys, erm yeah where is there ?

Not too much of an issue but i dont know where he is based www.site not clear ?

Tiggs N Sal, I'll post in the forum as soon as i know what dates we can get and hopefully i can meet some more scoobynetters in the process......result !

Make it a good'un,

Phill
Old 20 May 2002, 02:14 PM
Chris T
Scooby Regular

phil

I was on the same day as sal. Andrew will run a course anywhere he can get permission - recently ran one at crail - but the preferred site is NORTH WEALD AIRFIELD June 10th (1 space available on a 4 person day)
June 11th (3 spaces available on a 4 person day)
June 13th (1 space available on a 2 person day)
June 18th (2 spaces available on a 4 person day)
June 19th (1 space available on a 4 person day)
June 25th (3 spaces available on a 4 person day)
June 27th (1 space available on a 2 person day)
July 9th - 11th (Can be booked as either 2 or 4 person day)
July 29th - August 2nd august 5,6,7,8, 20,21,22,23, 29,30(Can be booked as either 2 or 4 person day)

BTW prices have gone up slightly now £105 not £90

HTH - post again if you need more info or look on
www.british-cars.co.uk - look on the elise general board andrew is to be found on there posting away the happy hours !

Old 20 May 2002, 02:14 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I did the North Weald airfield day which is on the outskirts of Harlow http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=549041&Y=205695&A=Y&Z=5 right by the arrow
Old 20 May 2002, 02:19 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Chris,
The 11th is my birthday so that looks good, i shall try to get to speak to him Sharpish so as to avoid dispointment....

Thanks for the Map Sal !! I shall keep that in case i end up in Harlow.

Cheers everyone,

Phill
Old 20 May 2002, 02:23 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

We're looking at doing this soon - been doing some investigating and heard nothing but good things!!

Go for it ...and then tell me what it was like
Old 20 May 2002, 02:25 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Cool

Jen,
I'll let you know how it goes but like you said i've only heard goods things !!

Phill
Old 20 May 2002, 03:45 PM
Chris T
Scooby Regular

Just for interest - here a review I wrote at the time - apologies to sal - who apperantly isn't a kid athough I thought she looked mid twenties

I know lots of old timers will have seen similar so forgive me If I am being stale

Spent yesterday at North Weald (in the freezing wind)
with Andrew Walsh @ 1st lotus.

There were Two scoobs there - an old turbo beast and a wrx version. Plus obviously myself in the 111s.

started with some steering practice - but moved quickly on to understeer/oversteer control and balancing on the throttle.

Part of the "training" is to set up for a corner at 60-70mph and try to take it, naturally I had several big spins - including one with the scooby driver as my passenger - car really let go and we had several piroettes(sp) which I thought were great fun - I now realise what everyone talks about with snap oversteer....loads of smoke lots of squealing but plenty of run off - just as well cos the last spin started at about 75mph

with careful tuition I did improve my times over all and managed a 21 sec start...corner...straight which was about 2 secs quicker than the 4x4 250bhp scoob.
btw AW put a 19sec time down in the scoob :-)

Moved on to heel & toe - which I think opened a window to me of a new skill I can learn and practise in safety on the road - some of the other stuff I wouldn't dream of trying...on the road

Also had a "circuit" course and through the day saw my time come down by 8 secs - which is a good indicator of Andrews teaching/coaching ability and the confidence it gives you.

Finished with some hooligan circuits courtesy of mr walsh - which were just great fun and a chance to really see the car fishtailing, spinning and generally being abused - very very cool - certainly gave the scooby kids some big grins.

Anyway - enough already - I post this only to encourage others to go - a great day which will give you a chance to put the car on the limit (and beyond) in complete safety plus for me it opened my eyes to where I can take my own driving skills towards.

Old 20 May 2002, 03:49 PM
Phill
Scooby Regular

Yep, still going but now am getting exciting cheers Chris !!
Old 20 May 2002, 03:54 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

Chris - with apologies like that ("....she looked mid-twenties" ) you can call me anything you like

Sal (easily pleased )