Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Home CCTV system - am I missing something..

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2013, 09:42 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Home CCTV system - am I missing something..

I'm think about installing a home CCTV system, most kits include a DVR with a hard drive - surely if someone breaks into your house they just need to make sure they steal the DVR as well?

I know some allow you to access the DVR remotely, but are there ones that can save the recording remotely as well in case the DVR does go walkies?

Also, the wireless IP cameras, can these be recorded on a DVR as well somehow - most cameras seem to be hard wired directly to the DVR, and are there any wireless cameras that can they be battery operated, suitable for remote locations away from a power supply?

I've trawled a few sites, but can't find answers to these specific questions - thanks.
Old 17 April 2013, 10:12 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would have to have a very good upload speed to store the dvr remotely such as online storage etc, even then to be honest I'm not sure if it would be possible as I would immagine the CCTV to be a v large file to be uploading, and whilst it was uploading it would kill your Internet speed for everyone else using the connection.

I would imagine you could remotely access the cameras via the web and have some kind of recording software on the pc / laptop you are using to dial into the machine to record what its seeing on the screen, but again I'm not sure how well it would work as it would have a slight delay, I'm not too clued up on cameras, but its the same with out company trying to upload big documents from the server, it kills the speed and we can't pull everything off the server as some of the files are just too big.

If there are wireless cameras that are battery operated, I can't see the batteries lasting long tbh, I would immagine most would require some kind of hardwiring as a power source, as if it is recording / transmitting what its seeing then that's going to have a large draw on a battery, just look how long it takes a car battery to die if a radio or light is left on, so it would require a large battery which would make the camera stand out like a sore thumb also the battery would need replacing often which is not great really, what if your on holidays and nobody changes the battery? I could be wrong tho like I say I'm not to clued up on security cameras, I'm just giving you my thoughts
Old 18 April 2013, 08:06 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my grandparents garden, they've got a very smart but high quality 'wildlife camera'. It runs off 12AA powerful batteries which lasts 3-5 weeks (depending on how much it is recording), records in HD, very clear and good quality recordings, records onto an SD card which can then be looked at on a computer using the software, it only starts to record when it detects movement and you can adjust all the settings and sensitivity, and records well in the dark too.

If you're interested I can find the link for it as something like that may be worth using. It cost about £200 or something I think.

They even caught gypsies mooching around their house.

Last edited by LSherratt; 18 April 2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 18 April 2013, 06:44 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Just to point out on the subject of how much bandwidth a system that uploads video to online storage would use, the answer is probably a lot less than you'd think (or at least a good one shouldn't use much). The reason being that modern video protocols save (or upload) new data in small incremental chunks, and in some cases will only write any data at all for the portions of an image or scene that have actually changed since the last frame was snapped.

If you want hard numbers, check the specs of the system you're thinking of buying or contact the seller's tech helpline/email, you should be able to get a reasonable idea from there
Old 20 April 2013, 08:17 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

For a home system just hide the dvr. For my dads business system he has dvrs in each premises with 16 cameras then 5-6 cameras from each location record to a central hardrive but instead of normal video they have 1 frame per second recorded. Online you can watch a selection of cameras from each place and set up motion detection if you need to.
Old 20 April 2013, 08:57 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

I was talking to a guy that installs home security systems including cameras as I intend to put them on my house. He suggested to put the DVR in a steel lock box like this one and mount it in the loft. The feed can be brought down to a monitor if you want to be able to view it at home and if you're crafty with your cables they'll never know where it is.
Old 21 April 2013, 03:40 AM
D6ale
Scooby Regular

My system consists of a hard wired dvr that I can view remotely / change settings via iPhone / iPad
It has motion detection & instantly sends me an email with 3 photos attached when it sees anything. Got it all from cctv42.com
Old 21 April 2013, 08:39 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

I've got a hardwired system that runs to a PC - the system is called Geovision - a card for the PC and the software to run it including remote monitoring on any web browser, or iPhone/iPad.

The motion detection is fully configurable, you can even view a picture from each camera and shade out area's you want to exclude from it.

I run mine into a locked metal cabinet in my garage - yes, theoretically it could be stolen, but it would take a lot of time, make a lot of noise and it's not that obvious (& neither are the cameras). There are a lot more valuable and obvious things for the average thief to go for.
Old 21 April 2013, 12:45 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

I'm sure some of the ones that I saw could upload to a remote location via FTP if the motion detection was triggered.
Old 21 April 2013, 01:11 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Mine will upload JPEG's but not video - never used it though.
It will also email JPEG's.
Old 21 April 2013, 10:02 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Have a look at www.dropcam.com
Old 22 April 2013, 11:05 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doubt the OP has even bothered to check back on this thread.
Old 23 April 2013, 12:58 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Loft is good but beware it gets hot up there.
Better right at the back of a pantry or understairs.
Old 23 April 2013, 01:08 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boro
Have a look at www.dropcam.com
Aha, that looks like the sort of tech I was expecting to be more readily available.

After considering all the above advice and doing further research, my preference is give the IP wireless devices a try. Looking at a Foscam indoor device to start, AVForums seem to be good for advice and support from subscribed suppliers. Once I've got it up and running, I'll look further at how practical using one of the online recorders actually is.

I've also now read stories of burglars using devices to disrupt wireless security cameras, so it looks like both wired and wireless systems both have their downsides depending on how smart the burglars may be.