Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Car crashed at car wash, advice need.

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2013, 10:11 AM
weirdfish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car crashed at car wash, advice need.

Not the scooby, but the better halfs toyota, took it to the local multi-national just to get the worst salt etc off and then back to give it a proper clean, just about to drive it off their patch and they jumped in this other guys car to move it and reversed straight into me, they said they would pay and for me to get a quote.
Where do I stand legally if they start to backtrack, they rent the piece of land from the garage/ car dealer that's there, and yes the other guy was told the same, so we are each others witness I suppose, if we needed one.
Obvious I'm thinking there should be ins held by someone, but will it be them or the garage owner, might add that I couldn't contact the garage owner when it happened, so he may well be unaware of anything.t
I'm hoping that all the above is nonsense and that they just pay up, but I just need to try and be prepared for the worst.
Rough estimate by the body shop who had a very quick look on Sat. ( when it happened ), was 1K.
Thanx.

Last edited by weirdfish; 08 April 2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08 April 2013, 10:36 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol good luck.
Andrei who crashed it will have gone back to poland and sergei wont know where he is or anything about the crash.
Old 08 April 2013, 11:04 AM
weirdfish
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
Lol good luck.
Andrei who crashed it will have gone back to poland and sergei wont know where he is or anything about the crash.
Simples
Old 08 April 2013, 11:09 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Seriously though now you have a quote go back and ask for the money.
You never know they may pay up, i doubt it though.
Then i would go to the police and report it if no payment is made as im sure they should have some sort of insurance.
Old 08 April 2013, 12:55 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Seriously though now you have a quote go back and ask for the money.
You never know they may pay up, i doubt it though.
Then i would go to the police and report it if no payment is made as im sure they should have some sort of insurance.
Uh oh. All places of work must have employer's liability insurance and display a certificate to that effect. Any chance of getting a look at that?
Old 08 April 2013, 01:02 PM
weirdfish
Scooby Regular

I'm just waiting for a proper quote written out by the body shop, this will be better than going back and just telling them what it's going to cost, hopefully get that today.
I really do hope that they will just pay up, but I'm not counting my chickens yet.
On the insurance side, most other places/people that have any contact with the general public normally need insurance of some kind, but we are talking about the local car wash here, I'm just wondering how the actual owner of the garage site with this, does he need ins to have them there at all, after all, he's getting rent from them.
Old 08 April 2013, 01:19 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that fails trip over the kerb at the carwash and claim £50,000 compo..............oh, sorry you are not a pliceman!

Best of luck

Shaun
Old 08 April 2013, 02:30 PM
fawor
BANNED

Lol good luck.
Yes you are an idiot tubbytwat.
Should spell it Andrzej as Andrei not exist, I never seen polish guy working at car wash,usually they are fake Lithuanian-russian or Portuguese-brazilian or native UK muslims
Old 08 April 2013, 02:53 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Didn't someone on here have a scoob written off at one of those and didn't receive a penny.
Old 08 April 2013, 02:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think you really must contact the garage owner and also it might be advisable to see a solicitor.

Les
Old 08 April 2013, 03:00 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
Should spell it Andrzej as Andrei not exist, I never seen polish guy working at car wash,usually they are fake Lithuanian-russian or Portuguese-brazilian or native UK muslims
May I ask, are you Polish by any chance
Old 08 April 2013, 03:02 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
May I ask, are you Polish by any chance

of course he is look at the state of his car, eastern european chic at its best
Old 08 April 2013, 07:15 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

of course he is look at the state of his car, eastern european chic at its best
Old 08 April 2013, 08:36 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I doubt the other persons car insurance would pay out as the person pushing it isn't on the policy. - so this route is out.

I wonder if the garages policy covers the car cleaners or if they should have their own.

Thirdly is the guy really going to remember you? With the amount of cars they see daily I wonder if you should have got in writing that he admits wrecking your car.
I often wonder how many of the workers are here legally and therefore never use them - according to the adverts helping anyone with illegally working helps the sex trafficking of kids.
Old 08 April 2013, 09:10 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

I'd have called the police to make sure it was reported personally and taken plenty of pics too, Get written quotes and give them copies of them and see what they say.
Old 09 April 2013, 07:03 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
Good post - The ones at my car wash need to see a Polish dentist IMO.
Old 09 April 2013, 07:34 AM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Is that polish or polish?
Old 09 April 2013, 08:03 AM
weirdfish
Scooby Regular

Got our quote, £1800, the other guys damage was about £1200.
Took it to show the guy that actually drove into the car, he was a little shocked as to how much it was going to cost him, anyway, after a lot of general broken English chit chat he asked if he could pay half now and the rest in a few weeks time, obviously not what I wanted to hear, so I decided to go have a word with the garage owner to inform him of what was going on, at first he was of the opinion that they were nothing to do with him and were merely renting the area from him, but when I mentioned insurance cover for them being there he seemed to change his tune and said he would see what he could do. I left a copy of the quote with him with my details and waited for a call, to my surprise he called me last night and asked me to take the car to the body shop he deals with for all his cars, ( he thought the quote I'd got was expensive ), and that he would settle the bill directly with them.
So hopefully a result, but we will wait until its actually fixed to our satisfaction to count our chickens.
I'll keep you posted. Simples!
Old 09 April 2013, 08:24 AM
VitruvianJ
Scooby Regular

That's good because I don't think he has any responsibility to pay. Compulsory insurance for most business's is just employers liability which only covers injury/illness to employees.

It's most likely a motor policy or even public liability insurance he has but if the car wash staff aren't his employees and are acting as a totally independent business then the garage owners insurance won't cover your cars as there is no insurable interest.

So if he has agreed to pay then that's a result as chances are it's out of his pocket!
Old 09 April 2013, 08:40 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

I would imagine the polish workers won't be getting paid much cash for te next few weeks
They probably had no insurance for their cleaning Buisness
Bet they will have now though
Old 09 April 2013, 08:52 AM
weirdfish
Scooby Regular

Not sure why the owner is doing what he's doing, it will depend on how he's renting the ground out I suppose, could be that he doesn't want any bad publicity either, it's quite a small community and word would get around if some thing like this wasn't sorted.
When people talk about the car wash they always refer to the garage name, so you can imagine the implications on his business if people thought it was the garage that caused the damage and were being awkward about paying.
The only thing that worries me now is that I've never used this particular body shop before so I don't know the standard of work they produce, hopefully a few well chosen words will let them know what we expect from them.
Old 09 April 2013, 10:31 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

My pal had the same thing happen in a local car wash, he got three quotes and took them to the car wash owner who then pulled 2k out of his pocket and paid him cash straight away for the repairs and for a hire car.
Old 09 April 2013, 02:38 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Glad that the garage owner has accepted what you told him and has done something about it.

Les
Old 09 April 2013, 03:01 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Id wait to see the quality of repairs.
What are you going to do if it a real bodge job???
Id deal with your insurance or get the cash.
It will be done on the cheap so the quality will be cheap.
Old 09 April 2013, 04:31 PM
weirdfish
Scooby Regular

Id wait to see the quality of repairs.
What are you going to do if it a real bodge job???
Id deal with your insurance or get the cash.
It will be done on the cheap so the quality will be cheap.
In the ideal world we would all take it to the garage of our choice, or the one that we know does the job right first time, that's why I took it to where I did in the first place to get the quote, but seeing as it happened where it happened and with who, I'm feeling quite content at the moment that they've actually agreed to repair it.
Ins. Is not really an option, it's on private ground and I'm pretty convinced they don't have the proper ins. Any way.
And as for the cash option, I did explain earlier about that.
I'll wait and see when I take it to this other place, you can normally get a feel for the sort of work they do just by looking around, and as I said before, I'll make sure they know its got to be done right the first time, regardless of cost.
Old 09 April 2013, 04:47 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by weirdfish
In the ideal world we would all take it to the garage of our choice, or the one that we know does the job right first time, that's why I took it to where I did in the first place to get the quote, but seeing as it happened where it happened and with who, I'm feeling quite content at the moment that they've actually agreed to repair it.
Ins. Is not really an option, it's on private ground and I'm pretty convinced they don't have the proper ins. Any way.
And as for the cash option, I did explain earlier about that.
I'll wait and see when I take it to this other place, you can normally get a feel for the sort of work they do just by looking around, and as I said before, I'll make sure they know its got to be done right the first time, regardless of cost.

they dont have insurance but you do, youre now handing over your car yet again to be repaired by someone you dont know and what are you going to do if the quality of the repairs isnt up to standard??
id report it to your insurance and the police.
how are you going to make sure its done right???

your dealing with immigrants here, unlike us they can just disapear and cant be traced by the police.

have you got there names address etc?? or just know what they look like?

they should have correct insurance, if they havent f*** em and report them to the police!
Old 09 April 2013, 05:28 PM
weirdfish
Scooby Regular

As I stated earlier, it's being done through the garage and not via the car wash people, and the owner is known to me and I to him, he's been in business for a number of years and has his reputation to think of, hence I think that's why he's getting it done himself.
In my younger days perhaps I would have gone in all guns ablazing, but with age comes a certain mellowness, you tend to get things done in a different way, and as long as it gets done to my satisfaction then I'm fine with that.
As for making sure it's done properly, it's all about approaching people in the right way, and making them aware that you will not stand for second class workmanship.
If not, I'll blow their f#cking doors off.
Old 09 April 2013, 05:32 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by weirdfish
As I stated earlier, it's being done through the garage and not via the car wash people, and the owner is known to me and I to him, he's been in business for a number of years and has his reputation to think of, hence I think that's why he's getting it done himself.
In my younger days perhaps I would have gone in all guns ablazing, but with age comes a certain mellowness, you tend to get things done in a different way, and as long as it gets done to my satisfaction then I'm fine with that.
As for making sure it's done properly, it's all about approaching people in the right way, and making them aware that you will not stand for second class workmanship.
If not, I'll blow their f#cking doors off.

well good luck i hope it works out ok.
id still report it to the police though (maybe after the repair) as i bet the ***** have no insurance,
Old 10 April 2013, 03:21 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Lol good luck.
luckily enough for the UK most people from Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Albania are raised to be honest and hard working, I wish I could same the same about the British.
Old 10 April 2013, 08:22 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
luckily enough for the UK most people from Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Albania are raised to be honest and hard working, I wish I could same the same about the British.
Yeah ok. So why are so many over here slumming it stealing fish and birds from our water ways and ruining our ecosystem?

Quick Reply: Car crashed at car wash, advice need.