Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cycling pants ..

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2012, 06:48 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cycling pants ..

I'm investing in a road bike (more fool me) and my current off road gear isn't really up to the task.

I need a light weight warm set of pants and a top, something I can wear in the winter and is water proof but breathable.
Old 27 December 2012, 07:51 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You'll have to explain pants, since we're from Britain, mostly
Old 27 December 2012, 07:55 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I use lycra thermals for running in winter and normal Lycra for summer. Check any running / cycling shop. Don't wear skidders under them though as you can sweat quite bad.
Old 27 December 2012, 08:00 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Endura Pro fs260s keep my backside comfy for road and off road (under baggies) riding. Not mega warm but not bad; they do a full length version too.
Old 28 December 2012, 11:01 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Firstly - forget waterproof leggings - you'll just end up a boil in the bag sufferer.

Skin is waterproof and I've never bothered with waterproof leggings ever - even cycling when it was -8 last winter.

Get bibs - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-ze...ded-bib-tight/ DHB stuff is pretty good quality and the vaeon zeros are thermal - pretty damn warm as well. Bibs are way more comfortable when road cycling - just make sure your feet and hands are sorted as well - merino socks and layered gloves are best (as appropriate)

Jackets need to be waterproof and warm though for wet winter riding:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-eq25-wat...ycling-jacket/

should be good - I got the eVent version of these and it's very good
Old 28 December 2012, 11:09 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Kieran - not bad advice but you say don't bother with waterproofs then recommend a waterproof jacket? ;-)

As a keen MTBer/racer and road riding triathlete, I find shorts and separate tops more versatile and also don't make you look like a closet short lifter.

When MTBing, I use semi waterproof shorts (Endura 3/4 length MT500 Sprays), waterproof socks (Sealskinz) and either waterproof gloves (if freezing) or non waterproofs and either a waterproof, thick jacket (Endura Stealth) for very cold stuff or a shell (Altura Attack I think) for normal stuff.

I tend to go pretty minimalist on the road bike and as I haven't done one for ages, this is triathlon minimalism in late September taken to the extreme (no socks - easier for the run transition!):

It's running I find REALLY sweaty so I rarely waterproof myself up for coast runs, however foul it is.
Old 28 December 2012, 11:18 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Matt - non-waterproof leggings - they're just horrible. A jacket though - works well. Keeps the warmth in and is flexible enough for the UK winters (which are basically cold and wet) as long as it is breathable.

I said bibs as only road cycling was mentioned and tbh - they are just better than shorts for comfort. It is a bit of a leap though, and you do feel a berk when you first try them
Old 28 December 2012, 11:22 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Kieran - I do mostly agree (except you probably mean waterproof leggings are just horrible?!). With cycling I think if you can stay dry, then do but if it means sweating your butt off, don't bother.

For running, I use non waterproof trail shoes (Salomon Fellcross) because it's just pointless trying to keep your feet dry and Gore-tex just keeps the water IN rather than out. Took me a while to suss this out! With riding I find wet feet just too grim so try and keep them dry (seal the tops of Sealskinz with about 2" of wetsuit legs cut offs!) if possible.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 28 December 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 28 December 2012, 11:28 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You could spend a sweet fortune on all the appropriate clothing for each season!
I wonder if ebay is possibility , I recently got sailing jacket new 23 quid , about a Hundred when it first came out I'm guessing. But you can spend 650 quid on top example.

I do wonder what cyclist would spend 300 on just pair bib tights tho
Old 28 December 2012, 11:35 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Kieran - I do mostly agree (except you probably mean waterproof leggings are just horrible?!). With cycling I think if you can stay dry, then do but if it means sweating your butt off, don't bother.

For running, I use non waterproof trail shoes (Salomon Fellcross) because it's just pointless trying to keep your feet dry and Gore-tex just keeps the water IN rather than out. Took me a while to suss this out! With riding I find wet feet just too grim so try and keep them dry (seal the tops of Sealskinz with about 2" of wetsuit legs cut offs!) if possible.
I did Fast typing again...

I know what you mean about the waterproof shoes - my MW80s are fantastic at keeping my feet warm and dry but there is a point when the amount of water pouring down your leg basically fills the shoe. However - the water DOES warm up

Although - this: http://youtu.be/VQNwTkZJMiw?t=5m2s is enough to overwhelm ANY shoe
Old 30 December 2012, 02:07 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Not sure why I didn't see the alerts for this thread .. thanks for the replies.

Endura Pro fs260s keep my backside comfy for road and off road (under baggies) riding. Not mega warm but not bad; they do a full length version too.
Putting something under something is kinda where I am at the moment, I was hoping to progress to lighter ..

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Firstly - forget waterproof leggings - you'll just end up a boil in the bag sufferer.

Skin is waterproof and I've never bothered with waterproof leggings ever - even cycling when it was -8 last winter.

Get bibs - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-ze...ded-bib-tight/ DHB stuff is pretty good quality and the vaeon zeros are thermal - pretty damn warm as well. Bibs are way more comfortable when road cycling - just make sure your feet and hands are sorted as well - merino socks and layered gloves are best (as appropriate)

Jackets need to be waterproof and warm though for wet winter riding:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-eq25-wat...ycling-jacket/

should be good - I got the eVent version of these and it's very good
Seems logical, I just use some cheap binbag type pants at the moment for off road, but then mostly its down hill in horrible wind and rain and it keeps me dry and clean .. although I do get soaked in my own efforts

I shall take a look at the links, thank you.
Old 30 December 2012, 08:15 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Just get your *** down to a decent bike shop and have a look round.

You need some lycra shorts with fake chamois in. Then a good pair of thermal leggings.
Try Chain Reaction Cycles, Wiggle, Wheelies etc etc
Old 30 December 2012, 08:30 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Where is Spoon when you need him? He is very enthusiastic about lycra clothing and cycling as a sport.

Matteeboy, you look very athletic in the picture. But you should really wear socks. I bet your feet pong after all that cycling.

Last edited by Turbohot; 30 December 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 30 December 2012, 08:44 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Turbo; it's unbelievably hard getting socks on after the triathlon swim so I don't bother! I do usually wear then though or my shoes would become biological weapons.

Oh and cheers...!

Pimmo; I wear them on their own when road cycling.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 30 December 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 30 December 2012, 09:06 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Turbo; it's unbelievably hard getting socks on after the triathlon swim so I don't bother! I do usually wear then though or my shoes would become biological weapons.
LOL.

Oh and cheers...!
Pleasure.
Old 30 December 2012, 09:14 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

I disagree with the original poster, cycling isn't pants, its ok when you get yourself fit.
Old 30 December 2012, 09:33 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Another vote for the dhb gear on Wiggle. Their Roubaix stuff is excellent, comfortable, washes well and looks good.

I find that a water proof light weight jacket is good teamed with layered base layers but tights are enough for the legs. Another vote for thermal socks with over shoes.

Steve
Old 31 December 2012, 09:06 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Decathlon stuff is ok for starting out, my longs are gore wear but below 5c not warm enough so I put some old skiing thermals on underneath, minus eight was the lowest I have cycled in, it isn't a case of being warm, its not being cold, miserable being on a bike and being cold. I wear ski gloves when cold, with thermal liners when really cold, a neck warmer, ski socks, t shirts jumper and a rain proof, a wool hat under my helmet and clear glasses to sto my eyes freezing and to be honest I am warmer than some spring mornings where it looks warm and you wear shorts and a jersey and it isn't warm at all.

Guy at work buys top end stuff, he drops the words "technical" and "wicking" into every conversation about cycling gear, spends vast amounts from the posh cycling shop and never actually rides his bike, I recommend cheap stuff and see how you go.

I went off my road bike, the roads are too crap round here, especially when dark so back on a slick tyres mtb
Old 31 December 2012, 09:16 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Decathlon stuff is ok for starting out, my longs are gore wear but below 5c not warm enough so I put some old skiing thermals on underneath, minus eight was the lowest I have cycled in, it isn't a case of being warm, its not being cold, miserable being on a bike and being cold. I wear ski gloves when cold, with thermal liners when really cold, a neck warmer, ski socks, t shirts jumper and a rain proof, a wool hat under my helmet and clear glasses to sto my eyes freezing and to be honest I am warmer than some spring mornings where it looks warm and you wear shorts and a jersey and it isn't warm at all.

Guy at work buys top end stuff, he drops the words "technical" and "wicking" into every conversation about cycling gear, spends vast amounts from the posh cycling shop and never actually rides his bike, I recommend cheap stuff and see how you go.

I went off my road bike, the roads are too crap round here, especially when dark so back on a slick tyres mtb
I'm not new to road riding, I'm just moving to a road bike.

I'm about to go now, 40 miles, have thermals on under my t-shirt and shorts and will put my shower/wind proof Muddy fox jacket on.

If its raining probably my cheap water proof pants till I warm up.

It's a lot of gear .. probably holding me back.
Old 31 December 2012, 09:22 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it makes little difference what I am wearing, I do generally have a fairly heavy rucksack and I am not trying to set any world records, can be funny chasing guys on road bikes down on an mtb, they really don't want overtaking by me, am faster on a road bike but I find the mtb better for commuting in winter, not been out for two weeks though.
Old 31 December 2012, 10:44 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I found the problem with winter riding was my eyes and cheeks getting cold - wearing the buff over my nose sorted the latter out but any glasses I wore steamed up.

So I got some of
 these these
when they were £10

Bloody good buy - shame they've got back to full price now.
Old 31 December 2012, 11:05 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Endura FS260 bibs wouldn't be anywhere man enough for this sort of weather, good for temperate weather as i have a pair myself.

Good shout on dhb gear, i have their winter tights and they're very snuggly, MT500's again another good shout, not keen on their rough lining mind.

DHB winter tights have a lovely fleece lining, which isn't far off my assos f1 mille roubaix tights.

Wearing shorts over the tights is advisable, helps stop your arris getting soaked.
Old 31 December 2012, 11:25 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Hmmm owning up to wearing spandex and lycra, disturbing , very disturbing

Mart