Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Always goes from bad to worse!

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2012, 02:28 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Always goes from bad to worse!

I have an aqualesa shower that developed a small drip from the base.. A quick google showed the seal with filter has probably clogged up n failed. So I order one it arrives and I think I'll tackle it today.

Being home alone I can turn the water n power off and begin... Turns out there are no taps to turn the shower off so I have to turn the water off to the house and drain the tanks....

I whip the cartridge out replace the filter that looked dead and put it all back together.

Turned the power and water on and now this one drip every 5 seconds has gone to a drop a second on cold or a. Drip every 3 seconds on hot.

More googling it looks like the cartridge is knackered but getting one befor the 5th of Jan is looking impossible.

So I have 2 options. Leave the water on and live with a huge water bill and possibly waste all the hot water (the slower drip) or, turn all the taps off in the boiler cupboard and only turn it all back on if it gets too cold and I need heat / shower....
I'd prefer the second but being Christmas its going to be a nightmare!

Why do things ALWAYS get worse before they get better?
Old 23 December 2012, 02:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Collect the drips and use the water elsewhere .... so, not wasted?
Old 23 December 2012, 02:44 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

I could if we had a drought... You could have a point though, could use it for dog water...> gone to put a bucket upstairs.
Old 23 December 2012, 04:12 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not going to cost you a whole lot from a few drips of water. MIGHT just add up to one whole bath over the next couple of weeks.

It could be a good idea to turn the water off, drain everything down and then fit an isolator for the shower. This of course kills two birds with one stone. No more leeks, and when you do get the part its going to be easier to fit (assuming the part you get this time is actually the right one).

If it were me it would be an isolator straight away, just makes it easier in the end.
Old 23 December 2012, 04:30 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Not going to cost you a whole lot from a few drips of water. MIGHT just add up to one whole bath over the next couple of weeks.

It could be a good idea to turn the water off, drain everything down and then fit an isolator for the shower. This of course kills two birds with one stone. No more leeks, and when you do get the part its going to be easier to fit (assuming the part you get this time is actually the right one).

If it were me it would be an isolator straight away, just makes it easier in the end.

You should know better than that......

There is no place on SN for sensible answers

(and a valve would be easy to get)

dl
Old 23 December 2012, 07:11 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous

Sounds simple and that is what I would have done. However, the shower goes into the wall the pipes then go down under the floor - Checked for taps before the carpet was laid) and then they join somewhere in the boiler cupboard to the hot tank & cold feed.
I remember seeing thin pipes under the floor boards to the shower but all the pipes in the cupboard are fat

I've ordered a new cartridge and it will be here hopefully by the 28th.
The way it drips is more then a bath a week I would say as on cold it's just off a constant poor.

The good news is: If I turn the water off and let the shower drip out, then put the shower head to the top of the bar (about 4 inches from the celing) and then put the water back on it only drips when in use.
I can live with it dripping while in use, just hope I don't get zapped.
Old 23 December 2012, 07:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

IIRC aren't shower head threads 1/2"

How about putting a 5 pence coin between the rubber washer and the showerhead.
Old 23 December 2012, 09:02 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

It's leaking from inside the unit itself. So the drip is from the bottom of the unit not the head. thanks for a hiding spot for my spare 5ps though.
Old 23 December 2012, 10:21 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Rob, a few gallons of lost water is nothing out your Mrs' bankers wage, is it not?

**** the leak, let her pay for it and enjoy your Christmas
Old 24 December 2012, 11:53 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
It's leaking from inside the unit itself. So the drip is from the bottom of the unit not the head. thanks for a hiding spot for my spare 5ps though.
Electric shower?

if you live in a hard water area, or if some debris came through it, it could be the head is blocked and the over-pressure device has operated.

These are one time and cost about £10 to buy, they can be refitted in about five minutes, no need to turn off water or leccy.
Old 24 December 2012, 02:19 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

It leaks even when the unit is off. The filter to catch any rubbish is in the back of the cartridge that needs to come out to access. - Meaning water off

Here is mine: http://www.aqualisa.co.uk/parts-stor...-power-shower/

part number 6 is the thing that has failed

as for wasting money - I'd rather save as much as we can to go to Vegas next year.