Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

reposesion

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2012, 09:55 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts
Default reposesion

Just finished watching panorama about reposesions and I was thinking.

If your about to be reposessed I would sell everything to help with the next step. But could you rip all the radiators pipes etc and sell it to a scrap metal collector?
Old 14 December 2012, 09:56 PM
adamb87
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ye i think so. my future father in laws house got repo and i ripped the bathroom suite out and fit it in my sisters haha. nice whirlpool bath for her now haha
Old 14 December 2012, 10:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Buy you supper I suppose
Old 14 December 2012, 11:45 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Why don't people sell their property before they get threatened with repo?
Old 15 December 2012, 01:28 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought a repossessed property, and had to replace all radiators and kitchen sink before I could get a mortgage on the place
Old 15 December 2012, 05:23 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ellie*
Why don't people sell their property before they get threatened with repo?
If you're in negative equity, then it's of a limited help.
Old 15 December 2012, 07:12 AM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Since the banks have the right to pursue you for any shortfall between what you owe and what they sell the repossessed property for, anything that reduces its value is not a great idea.
Old 15 December 2012, 08:19 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Never heard of banks losing out
Old 15 December 2012, 09:22 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scud8
Since the banks have the right to pursue you for any shortfall between what you owe and what they sell the repossessed property for, anything that reduces its value is not a great idea.
But by that point you've probably hit rock bottom and could declare yourself bankrupt, the debt is then gone and you've had your supper
Old 15 December 2012, 09:35 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I bought a Repo a few years ago, the tenants opened a letter in mistake that was for the original owner. It was the bank asking how he intended to pay the £80k shortfall.

So no, I'd not reduce the property condition any further, as come selling time it's going to appeal to a certain type of buyer only and they don't like paying a lot for houses.
Old 15 December 2012, 10:23 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

It was a shocking program , but it pisses me off the way they moan about how poor hey are , yet still has all the stuff they could sell to get back on their feet. The famialy that were found to be deliberatly making themselves bankrupt , they wee lad played Xbox all day , when they came back from the council meeting the adults had a takeaway coffee , kids looked like they had been bought toys , and the older kids wete drinking a bottle of Coke and Fanta. Now the dad moaned he had to pay £30 a week on laundry , would that not be made easier by not buying nice things ? The only ones i had sympathy for were the guy who came home from America , the system was making is very hard for him but he had the right atitude. The woman who had chemotherapy , got evicted and didnt like the place they give her so stayed with friends, went to see her old house and it was just sat empty all that time.
Old 15 December 2012, 11:22 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

It's the 'something for nothing' culture IMO. People sort of expect a certain level of lifestyle now regardless of whether it is living within their means.

When I lost my last job and was trying to keep my home from being repossessed I sold what I could (including Subaru at the time), knocked things like TV and phones on the head, bought cheaper brand foods, arranged deals with creditors and mortgage company etc. It just about kept our heads above water and we managed to keep everything going on about £1000 a month between us.

How many houses do you see now that DON'T have a big *** tv, games consoles, flash sofa etc, regardless of location?
Old 15 December 2012, 11:53 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

The posh family , when finaly leaving they all got into a Lexus mpv ! My heart bleeds )
Old 15 December 2012, 04:49 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
It was a shocking program , but it pisses me off the way they moan about how poor hey are , yet still has all the stuff they could sell to get back on their feet. The famialy that were found to be deliberatly making themselves bankrupt , they wee lad played Xbox all day , when they came back from the council meeting the adults had a takeaway coffee , kids looked like they had been bought toys , and the older kids wete drinking a bottle of Coke and Fanta. Now the dad moaned he had to pay £30 a week on laundry , would that not be made easier by not buying nice things ? The only ones i had sympathy for were the guy who came home from America , the system was making is very hard for him but he had the right atitude. The woman who had chemotherapy , got evicted and didnt like the place they give her so stayed with friends, went to see her old house and it was just sat empty all that time.
Couldn't agree more. It cracked me up when that charity took him in and then asked did he feel safe. He replied no and the guy seemed arsey. IMO they shouldn't let junkies in!
Old 15 December 2012, 05:19 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

I lost my job in march having only bought my house 6 months earlier. It was my own fault and that mistake ended my career.

To be fair to Halifax, they were great. They gave me a 3month payment holiday and when that was over and my situation hadn't changed they gave me another 6weeks and then to review.
I decided in that time that id never be able to earn enough again to afford my house so I so had to put it up for sale.
By the time Halifax reviewed things, they were happy enough with the fact that the house was on the market and accepted reduced payments until my house sold 3months later.

I was fortunate in that my apartment was brand new so I was able to sell it for what I paid, and I guess that helped it sell quickly.
Old 15 December 2012, 05:49 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Halifax were good with my mortgage when I was in the above situation. Not so good with the personal loan though and that was sold off which I pay monthly again.
Old 15 December 2012, 08:48 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

What happens if you pay over every month. Do they say ok you missed a payment but as your over it's ok.. Or is it just. OUT OUT OUT.
Old 16 December 2012, 02:17 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
The posh family , when finaly leaving they all got into a Lexus mpv ! My heart bleeds )
I thought the Lexus belonged to a relative who was helping them to move. Felt sorry for that family, the big lad who had come back from America and the single lady with the health issues. The family who made themselves bankrupt were a disgrace. With parents like that the kids have terrible role models.

Originally Posted by Ellie*
I lost my job in march having only bought my house 6 months earlier. It was my own fault and that mistake ended my career.

To be fair to Halifax, they were great. They gave me a 3month payment holiday and when that was over and my situation hadn't changed they gave me another 6weeks and then to review.
I decided in that time that id never be able to earn enough again to afford my house so I so had to put it up for sale.
By the time Halifax reviewed things, they were happy enough with the fact that the house was on the market and accepted reduced payments until my house sold 3months later.

I was fortunate in that my apartment was brand new so I was able to sell it for what I paid, and I guess that helped it sell quickly.
Don't know what mistake you made Ellie but I applaud the way you have dealt with your situation. Good luck for the future.
Old 16 December 2012, 09:21 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Thank you :-)
Very basically, I was meant to dispose of some medication but I didn't, I kept 10tablets for personal use and was forced into telling my boss what I'd done.
Game over.

I have to be registered to do my job and therefore my 'fitness to practice' is under investigation. It's complicated by my ongoing mental health problems (none of which is actually addiction) but I'll probably be removed from the register and no longer able to do my job again.
I'll take whatever they throw at me, hands up, I deserve it.
Could have even been prosecuted but yeah :-(
Old 16 December 2012, 10:11 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

The problem is that the mortgage companies are covered by insurance for losses so no real incentive to keep you on.

Also it would,in some cases,be far cheaper for the government to pay mortgage interest than rehouse a family.This is open to abuse so I don't know how you would police it but keeping people in their house would help free-up council housing stock.

Having said that, the family with 4 kids & dad as a bus driver appeared not to have done much to help themselves keep their house.Not sending the kids to school is unforgivable.Also now he has a job & they get income support etc. for 4 kids so will be on a fair wack.
Old 17 December 2012, 03:27 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
I bought a repossessed property, and had to replace all radiators and kitchen sink before I could get a mortgage on the place
Only the sink affects mortgage. I've bought a couple of repossesions and without a kitchen they are not mortgageable. Specifically a Kitchen sink as you say.