Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Caught speeding...

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2002, 03:59 PM
P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Friend of mine was caught speeding over the weekend, 101 on the M40 by Police car with radar gun at the bottom of a long hill near Oxford.

Police said to wait for letter whether it would go to court or may ge the chance to plead by post. If that's the case understanding is they can't ban you only points and fine?

Question is, has anyone else got caught at similar speed and what did you get??

Cheers
Matt
Old 13 May 2002, 04:09 PM
julllie
Scooby Regular

P

It is common practice for a bench not to disqualify if the defendant is not present however increasingly now, they will do. The usual penalty would be a ban for this speed and a fine linked to the level of your net income. The length of the ban and the amount of fine will also be related to your dring history and any previous convictions.

I would expect a short ban if this is the first time you have done it. E-mail me if you want more info.
Old 13 May 2002, 04:11 PM
julllie
Scooby Regular

P

It is common practice for a bench not to disqualify if the defendant is not present however increasingly now, they will do. The usual penalty would be a ban for this speed and a fine linked to the level of your net income. The length of the ban and the amount of fine will also be related to your dring history and any previous convictions.

I would expect a short ban if this is the first time you have done it. E-mail me if you want more info.

Not dring!! Driving I meant!!
Old 13 May 2002, 05:05 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

P,
From the speed-trap.co.uk site it quotes "96mph+ is a mandatory summons to appear in court." But you can I think plead by post but, from all the people I know who have been caught doung 100+ it's goodbye licence (I'm sorry to say). The fine varies, biggest I've heard of was £800. ! (ouch).
It's a pity they don't spend more time looking for missing teenagers, instead of making loads of money out of drivers (IMHO).
Old 13 May 2002, 05:18 PM
MH
Scooby Newbie

I got done last year. The copper who stopped me said anything of 95 and he should send me to court. I was doing an average of 98 but he said as the road was relatively clear ( M1 - wasn't actually that clear ! ) he'd just give me 3 points and a £60 fine.

Added £350 pound to my insurance premium though

oh well only another 3 years to go before its totally removed.
Old 13 May 2002, 05:35 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I was copped doing 128MPH on the A1 near Wetherby

However, when he pulled me he said my average speed was rated as 111MPH and that he would give me a fighting chance by putting that down.

Turned up at Wetherby Magistrates Court fully suited up, I'm really sorry, normally dead responsible....you know the usual please please let me off sob story...and it worked!!!

The magistrate came out and said they were going to do something unusual and not ban me. I got 6 points and £200 fine.

People always tell me I'm lucky...now I beleive them

Forgot to mention...my insurance went down £100
AXA say they do not take SPxx into account when calculating premiums as they are so common

[Edited by Hanley - 5/13/2002 5:37:04 PM]
Old 13 May 2002, 06:03 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Hanley....you are one lucky bastid

Ever thought of an oscar nomination?
Old 13 May 2002, 09:17 PM
SiCotty
Scooby Regular

If this is the Stokenchurch hill then this is a known accident black spot. The M40 between the south Oxford junction and the Stokenchurch hill is notorious for accidents. The police even sit on one of their special lookout bumps so your mate must have been unlucky.

Si