Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Costo-Chondritis......

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2002, 08:48 PM
Little Miss WRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

WTF is that?????

I have been signed off with that as well as lung inflamation which I do know about.....
Old 09 May 2002, 08:57 PM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

About £6.50 at my chemists
Old 09 May 2002, 10:29 PM
Swift Nick
Scooby Regular

Costochondritis, also known as Tietze Syndrome, is the inflammation of the cartilage where the ribs attach to the breast bone. Initially the symptoms are like those of a heart attack with pain moving from side to side of the chest and to the arms and neck. In fact many sufferers rush to the emergency room fearing an attack.

In the beginning the pain is usually worse and it hurts to breathe, wear a bra or move suddenly. Eventually the pain subsides to a dull, constant ache or tenderness in the ribs. The cause of this condition is usually unknown but it can be the result of trauma to the rib cage, a viral infection or part of an inflammatory disease. The symptoms usually disappear spontaneously within eight weeks but sometimes it takes up to a year and in some individuals it remains a chronic condition. When it is a chronic condition the pain seems to wax and wane and any sudden movement or lifting of heavy objects could make the condition worse.

Some sufferers start thinking that there is something wrong with their lungs when they start finding difficulty in breathing. However there is no reason for alarm. This happens because due to the swelling around the ribs, the lungs cannot expand fully.

Stress contributes to the pain because it makes the muscles tense. Other things which hurt are lifting, pushing, pulling, sneezing, coughing, long hours of driving or using the computer, repetitive motions and caffeine. Cold, rainy and humid weather also make a lot of sufferers feel worse. Ideally these situations should be avoided but where it is not possible it is important that they be carried out with care.

The first action to take after being diagnosed with costochondritis is to make sure you get plenty of rest and apply heat to the affected area. There are many anti-inflammatory medications that can be bought over the counter like aspirin or Ibuprofen but your GP can prescribe something stronger if he thinks it is necessary. Cortisone shots are another alternative but they are not a cure and are not recommended as they are said to weaken the cartilage after long periods of use. Physiotherapy and acupuncture have also helped some people.

If you are a sufferer the most important thing to remember is not to overdo it as any strain will aggravate the condition. Talk to your GP and when you find the treatment that works best for you stick to it.

Hope this helps

Nick
Old 10 May 2002, 04:36 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Smile

Nick, thank you very much for that

I have an appointment with the doc next week to chat about it further, at the moment I am just resting and taking pain killers.
I have the complication of a wee chest infection too, being asthmatic it has now started playing with havoc with my peak flow, so as you can imagine that is a bit of a pain

The pain is still very intense, I did wonder what the hell the pain was!!!! I am glad I know now.

Cheers,

Michelle.
Old 10 May 2002, 05:35 PM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

It's my pleasure,glad to help
Old 10 May 2002, 06:36 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL

Can you remember to add the VAT next time though
Old 10 May 2002, 07:25 PM
ScooBabe
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Ouch!

Look after yourself and get well soon

Amanda
Old 11 May 2002, 12:07 PM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

Surely we don't have to pay VAT on medicines?
Old 11 May 2002, 12:22 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Red face

Actually thinking about it, it is not that much for a prescription around where I live
Old 11 May 2002, 12:31 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

Chelle, I'll come and rub your chest better if you like
Old 11 May 2002, 12:49 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL

It needs very gentle rubbing as it is still very painful
Old 13 May 2002, 02:19 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Just a note to say that i am not feeling much better, in fact worse. The pain is now defintely defined and mainly on the right.

I feel very tired and lethargic, unable to stand up for more than five minutes without wanting to pass out. Is this linked? I think it maybe due to the interrupted sleep I am experiencing cos of the pain?

I am seeing my doctor on Thursday, should I go sooner or leave it till then?
Old 13 May 2002, 12:16 PM
Harry Potter
Scooby Regular

Could be exacerbated by RSI (repetative strain injury) from all the typing.

Good news is that it is on the right as cardiac pain which gets Drs more excited tends to be on the left.

Your GP should have an emergency first come first served service and I would go to that as you are obviously concerned.

In cases like yours people can start to worry that they can't breath and end up having a panic attack so to prevent panic attacks destress and see your GP earlier.

If pain is associated with stress you might find a drug like Venlafaxine will help as both an analgesic and for stress/anxiety/distress of pain.
Old 13 May 2002, 11:41 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Smile

I am not too worried about the not being able to breathe part, I am used to hat being asthmatic, I can recognise the symptoms and react accordingly, I tend to be a lot more calm than the people around me LOL.

It is just the pain is quite severe. If this is normal then fine, I shall put up with it, but trying to find a painkiller I can take which I won't have an allergic response to is trying