Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

MotoX Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2002, 09:49 AM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have recently found a superb looking motocross track local to me and am now thinking of buying a motocross bike. I would use it only for pleasure and for improving my bike control.

Anybody got any recommendations ?
Is it better to get a road legal bike or just buy a dedicated off-road bike - open to suggestions.

Thanks
Old 13 May 2002, 10:05 AM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Get a single purpose bike only. They are designed to go off road. Go for a 250 too, you will soon get used to a 125 and out-grow it. A 250 will seem a bit of a handfull at first but you'll soon get used to it. I had Suzuki's, an RM125 and an RM250. The 250 was great and I even road registered it but kept on getting through pistons!

Tim
Old 13 May 2002, 10:25 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

have you done motorx before? if not do you plan to just turn up on a dirt bike and go round the jumps???? might be better to start with some green lanes first unless you plan to get good at motor cross. otherwise once your bored of the track where you gonna go next? at least with a green lane bike you can get some versatility from it- i did enduros and trail riding in UK and france on my off roader.

Tiggs

ps- dont think that green laning sounds tame (you find some remote spots and you can go mad as you like)
Old 13 May 2002, 10:45 AM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

Where's the track? Presumably its open for practice...?? As Tiggs says, if you haven't ridden MX before, you might be better having a ride on someone else's bike first before you spend your own cash - just in case you hate it (you won't - you'll love it).

If you do decide to go for it, then there's plenty of local-ish tracks you can ride at. Look at www.mxtrax.co.uk for a full listing.

I'm back on an MX bike now after several years away from it. I'm loving every minute of it...

Old 13 May 2002, 07:25 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

andrew,
i'm just about to get back onto my bike once again too
use to race AMCA in the Experts class but after a few nasty crashes decided enough was enough

BUT,After watching some of my fave videos,Crusty Demons of dirt,Seth,Disturbing the peace, i decided to start up again.
Still kept my bike after all these years (93 CR 125)and its in for a re-furb.I dont know if i'll race again but i love the free ride/freestyle aspect of the sport.I just sussed the Nac-Nac before i had a big off which resulted in me being off work for a whileIts time to try the Cliff hanger!!!

Bakerman,
Get yourself a 125,Honda Cr125 ,Kx 125,or a Rm 125.Unless your on fast sweeping tracks(or you are a good rider)a 125 is more than enough.When your first feel the power of it trying to rip your arms off coming out of tight corners youll have a huge smile.
Take your time in looking for a bike,make sure its had loads of money spent on it,regular piston changes are a sign of a well maintained mx bike.(honda say every 6hours of racing,i think)But thats a Honda quote.Dont be fooled into at a mint looking bike because its only a £100 to make a mx bike look brand new with a set of plastics and new decals.

Also these machines are the bike thiefs main target.buy a heavy duty lock or several of them,check that you dont get followed home after meetings etc.
Also look in a Paper called Trials and Motocross News.Its out every Friday and has pages of used and new bikes,and places to practice.

Duncan HONDA Cr 125