ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Impreza VS R1

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2001, 11:29 PM
b12grf
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Done some homework last night (never did at school) read a test on Subaru Impreza Vs R1 very intresting Matt Neal drove the Subaru Martin Child rode the bike they done various tests (didt bother with top speed test knew bike would kick cars ****)
0-100 mph times where car 14 seconds bike 6.3 seconds.
Then they set up a B-road test cant be bothered to explain all of the test for this but the car was taking all the cones out which where marking all roundabouts and corners Matt Neal said a car could never be driven like this on a road result bike won.
Roundabout test 56 yard in diameter circle cars time 9.23 sec bike 9.13 sec.
The Impreza was a WRX STI V blue printed engine and gearbox, R1 was standard.
Matt neal (British touring car driver) said No question, even on a clear road a good rider on a sportsbike would clear off.you have no chance in a car.
Car mags Mark Walton said with cars you have bursts of speed with bikes its Speed,speed and more speed.So what have we learnt A crap bike accelerates faster than a hot car.
Cars cant corner as fast as bikes, but a driver risks less.
A bike needs less than 80bhp to do over 150mph. Cars are better in the wet and at night oh thats all right then.See yer on the flip side ***** puckers.
Old 12 June 2001, 11:32 PM
gixxerlad
Scooby Newbie

1 up 4 the bike then m8
Old 12 June 2001, 11:42 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

YAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNN!!!!! Zzzzzzzzzz...
Fastest road vehicle in the world is a CAR.
Fastest accelerating vehicle in the world is a CAR.
Fastest vehicle around ANY circuit built for racing is a CAR.
Blah, blah, blah....

Stef.
Old 12 June 2001, 11:44 PM
gixxerlad
Scooby Newbie

obviously c@nt read then.!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by gixxerlad (edited 12 June 2001).]
Old 12 June 2001, 11:49 PM
b12grf
Scooby Newbie

Cool

What car can do 200 genuine mph for 7.5k? 500 G.P bikes at Le Mans where quicker on the back stright than the 24hr cars (which are geared for 230mph) talking of yawning when the next F1 G.p on yawn.must set my alarm 4 all that overtaking.
Old 12 June 2001, 11:59 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thrust 2 was fairly rapid I seem to remember.
Old 13 June 2001, 12:05 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

gezzer,

an R1 is not the best bike in the world, it is mass produced bike costing well under £10,000 that does what it does out of the crate. bikers dont need to use 500gp bikes in their examples, they use the bikes they own, not £1,000,000 exotica- own an F1 do ya?!!!!

mike,
as a shuttle has 3 wheels you should be able to ride it on a bike licence! so even if it got to cadwell first you could claim a biker win!!

tiggs

ps- try jumping a car over cadwells mountain!

pps- martin child is a stunt monkey not a racer, god forbid a quick biker went up against the car.

[This message has been edited by Tiggs (edited 13 June 2001).]
Old 13 June 2001, 12:13 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Question

What has cost or numbers got to do with this argument? The R1 is one of the fastest road going bikes available. The fact that it is relatively cheap and there are loads of them is irrelevant! The Scoob, although a competent performer is not up in the top echelons of car performance. It just so happens it takes a little more engineering and money to make something that weighs around a ton go 200 mph than it does something that ways precious little more than the engine that powers it. Is that a little difficult to understand?

Geezer
Old 13 June 2001, 12:39 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Andy,
You have obviously never been in a genuine 500+bhp car then....

I know I couldn't live with any 600cc+ bike from 0-100mph (rwd + 500bhp causes a huge lack of traction ), but once rolling anything 750cc and below is dessimated (sp?) from 80-180mph and bigger bikes from 120-180mph (Suzuki "Big Bus " etc excluded).

Just ask the R1 rider on the way back from the BMF...
LOL
Mike R
Old 13 June 2001, 12:43 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

gezzer,

this discussion is about R1 and imprezzas (as per the title), no one mentioned money till you suggested an F1.

as some people here seem to have fast bikes and plenty have scoobs and none have F1s the initial thread seems more relevant.

not difficult!!!

tiggs
Old 13 June 2001, 12:52 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Tiggs,
Absolutely right, it is about R1s and Imprezas, but my point is it's no big deal saying an R1 can kick our ***. It's like being proud of pinching candy from a baby!

Geezer

P.S. It's Geezer not Gezzer!
Old 13 June 2001, 12:55 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

as ive sold my R1 and now have a slow old scoob!!! i'll have to stick to candy stealing then- now wheres that baby?

tiggs
Old 13 June 2001, 12:56 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

my 3 pence worth...

Having had a fast bike and now own a Scoob, I'd pick the bike as the fav mode of transport most days, unless its wet or icy.

However, consider that a smash in a car (with airbags and some decent crash ratings) is usually survivable, on a bike - its a whole lot worse - believe me, I've seen lots of mates in hospital weeks after boasting about how fast their bikes can go...

At the end of the day its like comparing a Boeing 737 with a Tornado GR1!

Neil
Old 13 June 2001, 07:12 AM
b12grf
Scooby Newbie

But its not a fact I do appreciate nice cars Ive owned many myself and I know its a bit sad but I still own a R5 GT turbo 38,000 miles on the clock totally standard has not been used for 18 months more of an investment before that I had a 540i but ive always owned bikes as well reason being because bikes **** all over cars now that is a fact.
Old 13 June 2001, 07:26 AM
darren f
Scooby Regular

Angry

Forgive me...........
but haven't we already done this one?
Old 13 June 2001, 07:49 AM
chuckdog
Scooby Regular

HEHEHE
A quick point to help with your homework..
All STI's have blueprinted angines, so this is a standard car.
Otherwise I have to agree, in the real world there is traffic, and on my 69bhp bike I can overtake much more quickly and safely than in my 280bhp STI in most situations.
But as to which is more fun? I've had less friends (0) die in car crashes than in bike smashes (4) so I don't loon on the bike so much these days.
And I don't track the bike for the same reason. Bikers are mad!
Chuck
Old 13 June 2001, 07:51 AM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Cool

Has to be said that if you took the average bike rider on a fairly sporty bike and sent him off down the road through some twisties......and then sent the average driver of say a scooby....cossie......something along those lines.......i bet you any money, the car would be the quickest.........easily.........and im not biased.....i love bikes 2........
Old 13 June 2001, 08:55 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Any magazine / test situation can get the result that THEY want to achieve by picking a car / bike that is suitable for the job.

Examples:
As we are using the R1 for reference (which incidentally is the second best production bike in the world IMHO (to the Suzuki GSXR1000), so hardly "crap"), I seem to remember Niall Mackenzie (R1) getting his **** kicked by Jason Plato (Porsche 911) round one of the race UK circuits, which they chose because they knew it would favour the car. This was done for one of Clarkson's videos.

Ditto Evo magazine and the Caterham R500 where one of the test riders from Performance Bikes (Ronnie Smith) got his **** kicked round another one of the UK circuits. Had they picked a Ducatti the results may have been different, as the R1 lacked the required drive out of the corners on the twisty circuit they used, but obviously Evo wanted the car to win.

Now for the real crunch, Performance Ford pitted my car up against an R1 in June's issue. This was done at Bruntingthorpe with Datron timing gear, the same equipment used to test the McLaren F1 / Jaguar XJ220. The idea was to see which was fastest. Only one of us broke the three mile per minute barrier and it did NOT have two wheels .

An R1 fast? It's all relative. Incidentally, with all things equal (driver / rider skill) a well sorted car will always out-corner a bike. The fastest time for a road bike round the Nurburgring (12.95 miles) is some 26 seconds slower than the fastest for a road car. As the Nurburgring is the closest you can get to a fantastic twisty bit of public road, I think that says it all.

By the way, I am a biker (passed my bike test BEFORE my car test), but I'm not blinkered and know what my bike can do better than my car and vice-versa. Put ANY traffic into the scenario and a 250cc bike would get from A to B faster than a McLaren F1....
Best regards
Mike R

[This message has been edited by Mike Rainbird (edited 13 June 2001).]
Old 13 June 2001, 08:59 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by scoobycar60:
<B>Thrust 2 was fairly rapid I seem to remember.[/quote]

Yeh..... but it was a bitch in the twisties and a bit crap for reverse parking i seem to remember the article about it said.....

Jza
Old 13 June 2001, 09:45 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Stef,

woken up yet?

as "cars" have such a variety of types to choose from is it fair to simply pull the one most appropriate to your case out of the hat? ie. the fastest top speed, the fastest on track, etc

if you found yourself beat up by a young lady you could explain that the fastest human is a man, so is the strongest, so are the best boxers, etc but there's no changing the fact you just got slapped by a girly.

tiggs

(if i knew how to do smiles id stick some here!)
Old 13 June 2001, 09:56 AM
Murray53
Scooby Regular

I don't understand this car (scooby) versus bike thing, they are both good but in different ways. I have a 1200 Bandit and a MY99 Scooby and enjoy driving both - thats why I don't have a Mondeo etc, I like to enjoy what I drive.

That said I think I could leave most cars behind if I had my bike (which is not a sports bike) infront to start with and on a relatively twisty road, the bike acceleration out of corners would keep it in front. If the car was infront, passing could be difficult as a car brakes better, the only way past would be again acceleration out of a tightish bend.

On most circuits an high performance car will beat a bike, but as I said at the start, they are both loads of fun.

Be careful out there!

M
Old 13 June 2001, 11:10 AM
b12grf
Scooby Newbie

RC 30 holds the lap record round the Nurburgring will sort out the mag to justify this and get back to you with the facts.As for the R1 vs Impreza test a Bitish Touring car driver Matt Neal pitted against a Bike Journlist not fair for the bike.
I know their are quick cars out there but I just have not had one ever come near me.If you ever venture near the twistes around Woburn and Hocklife I would gladly have a giggle with you.I am also taping a camera to my tank this Sunday so it would be a good crack.
Old 13 June 2001, 11:17 AM
andy suter
Scooby Regular

i can't believe anyone thinks they could keep up with a bike !!!!.... Ive seen an R1 wheelie down the qtr at the pod and still do a 13sec qtr on his back wheel...

then again....R1's look a bit silly with a dozen tesco bags strapped on
Old 13 June 2001, 11:22 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

The initial argument is one of the weakest I have yet seen! You compare possibly the best road bike available with a Scoob? Compare a McLaren F1 with a mediocre bike and see what results you get!

If you're gonna compare, try comparing more equal adversaries. Then again, why bother at all, along as you enjoy what you ride/drive?

Geezer
Old 13 June 2001, 11:45 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Talking

simple solution is set up a test, sort of like a cannon ball run?
1) Volunteer biker.
2) volunteer driver.

Set off heading for an (any) end destination and see who gets there first.

I've done from my house (western edge of Nottingham), to Parked up in Cadwell race track on the Blackbird. (NOT A SPORTS BIKE) in 50 minutes. That can't be done in a car!

It will soon shut up those who are quoting obscure and irrelevant facts!
Fastest vehicle in the world is the space shuttle, I challenge anyone to race me to Cadwell Park in that as well.

Chuck dog, your bike is <B>Un-Loonable</B> anyway!

Mike.

[This message has been edited by Mike Tuckwood (edited 13 June 2001).]
Old 13 June 2001, 12:02 PM
b12grf
Scooby Newbie

Oh yer thrust 2 was on the A5 last sunday near Milton Beans.Could be wrong.
Old 13 June 2001, 12:07 PM
ScoobydoobyDave
Scooby Regular

Question

Whats going on with the sudden 'invasion' with all these scooby 'haters'? (i know not all the 'invaders' hate scoobys

with the bike thing, yeah there very quick and can't really be touched for the money but... I don't really get on with bikers any more after one punched a wing mirror off on one of my cars!! Leather trouser wearing monkeys hehehe

Flame suit on even tho im only messing!
Old 13 June 2001, 12:23 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

B12.
Power-to-weight doesn't seem to matter to you, so why should power-to-pound matter to us??
Fastest things on tarmac have FOUR wheels not two, FACT, so get back on your chopper!

Stef.
Old 13 June 2001, 01:04 PM
Group Captain Smudger
Scooby Regular

There's a long sweeper by me that I can take at 120+ and feel safe as houses in the S-D but where on an FZR I used to get a slight wobble (mind you the tyres weren't much cop)so I think to myself this is a good place to give them a bit of competition. Only thing is on the rare occasions when I've seen a bike on this stretch by the time I reach the bend they've disappeared into the distance. Did race the missus once here (her in Rover 220 turbo)and although I stayed in front there wasn't a lot in it - self preservation used to take over. I like to compare BSB times to BTCC times. On most of the circuits the bikes are quicker (2 seconds at the short and twisty Knockhill circuit), but I can't fathom out why the bikes'lap times are actually slower on the so called fastest circuit at Thruxton. It's just a pity you can't pitch bikes directly against cars at the races.
Old 13 June 2001, 01:07 PM
Group Captain Smudger
Scooby Regular

There's a long sweeper by me that I can take at 120+ and feel safe as houses in the S-D but where on an FZR I used to get a slight wobble (mind you the tyres weren't much cop)so I think to myself this is a good place to give them a bit of competition. Only thing is on the rare occasions when I've seen a bike on this stretch by the time I reach the bend they've disappeared into the distance. Did race the missus once here (her in Rover 220 turbo)and although I stayed in front there wasn't a lot in it - self preservation used to take over. I like to compare BSB times to BTCC times. On most of the circuits the bikes are quicker (2 seconds at the short and twisty Knockhill circuit), but I can't fathom out why the bikes'lap times are actually slower on the so called fastest circuit at Thruxton. It's just a pity you can't pitch bikes directly against cars at the races.

Quick Reply: Impreza VS R1