Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Parking diffusers...anyone use them?

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2012, 12:49 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking diffusers...anyone use them?

Can anyone vouch for these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1408133384...#ht_500wt_1139
Old 25 August 2012, 01:13 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Aren't laser jammers banned?
Old 25 August 2012, 01:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes they are, and even if this device is not a jammer as such,it prevents the laser from measuring the car's speed.

Les
Old 25 August 2012, 02:48 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

its legal as it operates electric gates/garage doors etc....does anyone use one?
Old 25 August 2012, 03:36 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Busterbulldog
its legal as it operates electric gates/garage doors etc
Correct! As long as you actually have an electric door
Old 25 August 2012, 03:44 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

All fully automated here,gates bollard and garage door.The diffuser will only operate one device though. Dealer says these diffusers work well...if you forget to turn it off when you close garage door...an unfortunate bi product is it plays havoc with laser.rays..but if it detects a laser,it warns you and you can switch it ...bt yr garage door wont open as you come up the drive unless you remember to turn it back on
Old 25 August 2012, 05:08 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

You'll land yourself in a whole lot of trouble. It's a jammer at the end of the day. Even if you are not speeding and you jam a speed gun, they'll have your plate and you will be getting prosecuted. I've seen it before. don't waste your money!
Old 25 August 2012, 05:36 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

They are legal, so you have no problem using them.
Old 25 August 2012, 08:52 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Its not the question of legality that im asking ...they are legal....what im looking for is some feedback by someone who uses one
Old 28 August 2012, 12:48 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

I have a laser elite fitted!

These ones arent for opening garage doors etc, theyre a parking sensor! It has a beeping which gets more urgent as things get closer, just like any parking sensor!

I installed mine as the mrs regularly borrows the car, and being a mid sized estate with pretty dark windows, a parking sensor isnt a bad idea (zero spacial awareness despite having her HGV ticket).

However when they recieve an inconsistent signal (such as a 904nm laser source from somewhere else ..... wherever that may be! ..... i think the rozzers use 904nm wavelength lasers in theyre speed guns), they go off like a christmas tree and send out a signal looking for a better reading for 5 seconds to let you know the parking signal cant be trusted, and then they switch themselves off!

I suppose that if someone was to be doing 90 down the motorway and it went off, in theory it would buy them 5 seconds to get from a "points" speed, down to a "slap on the wrist speed".

Problem would come if that person was seen to be braking hard (brake lights or dipping nose), before then getting a speed reading taken of 80+mph, the rozzer would then be aware that you had a toy helping you out, and they dont take kindly to that! However, there is nothing they can do about it!
Old 28 August 2012, 01:11 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legacy_gtb
the rozzer would then be aware that you had a toy helping you out, and they dont take kindly to that! However, there is nothing they can do about it!
Ever heard of The Ways And Means Act 2012?
Old 28 August 2012, 01:16 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Slow down?

Just a suggestion.
A lot cheaper.
Old 28 August 2012, 01:57 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Ever heard of The Ways And Means Act 2012?
yes, the act a rozzer has of tenuously relating one crime to another, which once taken to court, in the case of speeding (civil offence and not criminal offence) would have to be related back to proof of dangerous driving! Which would then require an actual figure of how much over the speed limit you were travelling .... if you have a laser elite, this hopefully wont be more than a few mph so wont even get to court.... if howvere he has proof that you did some heavy braking and ended up at 85mph, physics state that before the camera registered you were doing much more than that and therefore dangerous driving (a criminal offence).

Im not saying this is a bit of kit that lets you drive at mach1 everywhere, but if your doing the same speed as everyone else on the motorway, youll be speeding and succeptable to the governments revenue generation cameras .... im not a fan of this!

"Slow down?

Just a suggestion.
A lot cheaper. "

Gear head ... im not a boyracer and i respect most speed limits! But the system is flawed! You cant govern a populace by its lowest common denominator .... especially not when the populace is 70million people! But that is the only tool the police have, and until someone invents a dangerous driving camera, its the way its going to stay!

Most people that visit this forum are probably alot safer on an A road at 70, than most 65+ drivers are on the same road at 50 ..... who would you rather be in a car with?
Old 28 August 2012, 02:10 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

They work no if's or but's in my case

They shoot the laser at the car, little led on the dash turns from green to red to say u have been shot at along with a loud long beep, hit the breaks down to the limit, flick your switch to turn jammer off and hey presto u should be doing speed limit.

If you dont slow down an just leave them on your asking for trouble,The rozzers will be at your door make no mistake! they are NOT used to blast about everywhere at silly speeds they are there to protect somebodys licence when following the flow of traffic for example and ur doing 34 in a 30! It happens to us all, if they would just give out a fine then i cant see the use of them personally, its the points that most hate! Me inc! For something as silly as 34mph in a 30 is a bit harsh for 3 points i think! But thats just me
Old 28 August 2012, 04:28 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Nice one guys,im not a speeder as such,but we all stray over the limit now and then without noticing, in the past few weeks I have come across coppers with the speed gun(3times),once hiding behind railings below ground level one a long wide open 30mph road/I was doing 32mph ended up having a written warning and a telling off. I drive for a living/I insure 5 vehicles,a few points can add a fortune...besides I need a parking system. Theres also another system that operates doors/gates in same way but I am not sure of the name. At the end of the day if they want to catch you in stealth mode then I think a little bit of stealth help is acceptable,fair enough when theyre in a big marked cameravan..but hiding pointing a gun at you on an empty road...thats not cricket
Old 28 August 2012, 04:38 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

^^ totally agree fella!

Could have showed you the system up untill a few weeks back, it was in our big black cat like yours you got up forsale, lovely cars they are aint they! Hence why we got a xfr and an xkr now lol, shall soon be installing another one in to them pair of prowling ******

Cant see that jag being about long, anybody who knows them can see how much car ur gettin for ur buck
Old 28 August 2012, 04:39 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

They pulled you and gave you a ticking off for 32 in an open 30, after having to hide to catch you ...... w@nkers!

Most rozzers are nice, reasonable chaps who can use discression to filter the people who deserve a ticking off from those who are just making good progress .... your story however highlights that some of them are just power hungry end of bell **** bastuds!
Old 28 August 2012, 04:52 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Busterbulldog
30mph road/I was doing 32mph ended up having a written warning and a telling off.
You got a written warning and a telling off for doing 32mph in a 30 zone?

I'd have told him to **** right off - in a nice way of course.

In the UK I though the tolerance was 10% +2mph
Old 28 August 2012, 05:31 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I have been before the magistrates over a hand held speed gun they use and for the record i won

It has been proven that you can make a brick wall do 30 mph with a hand held device, they will throw it out of court especially if they dont have any evidence against you! Or at least they did with me but i argued black and blue along with my brief! Thas where 34 mph comes from in my case as thas what they tried to prosecute me with, i was beaming when i walked from court and the copper was there that was trying to give me the 3 points he wern so happy tho!
Old 28 August 2012, 05:46 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Infected,re the Jag,yes its a lovely machine and tbh I aint sure that im doing the right thing selling it .....How do you find Stratstones? I assume you use them as yr in Cardiff? Worst bunch of cowboys I have ever known for main dealers ...They are the reason I bought the Cosworth rather than another Jag
Legacy,yes they did ...a written warning I got for 32mph but it was the way he hid that I didnt like....telling them where 2 go probably wouldnt have helped lol
Old 28 August 2012, 05:54 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Tbh i have never had a problem with them, they have been fantastic with us but then again we did buy 2 new cara from the showroom lol, the xkr had to go back to dealer with a problem on the gearbox, it triggered a light on the dash, took it down there and they had the car for a month, little annoying it must be said but they did give us another xf for a courtesy car untill it was sorted, and also a voucher to be use at a health spar for a few hundread quid, they even told us car was fine if we wanted to continue using it untill the part arrived but we declined that offer lol, wernt risking it on that! And 2 weeks ago i enquired about a range rover evoke which we have been trying to source but the waiting list is emmence! Spoke to the guys there and they sourced a brand spanker with zero miles for me, everything we wanted with all the extras and it was there in a week! Dont know how they done it but they did lol

They always been pretty straight with us in all fairness but i suppose everyone has a different story to be told, why what have u experienced with them?

Im just up the road from you an all up in Hengoed, have to show me that cossie of yours

Last edited by Infected by sti; 28 August 2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 28 August 2012, 06:12 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

I found them totally incompetent,3 times our car didnt make it home after leaving there,another time they did a service and sent my misses home with no oil cap fitted

Hengoed...not backing onto Gwerna crescent in maesycwmmer,I worked there a fortnight back and noticed an xfr and a xkr together. Im local...Newbridge so your more than welcome to see the Cossie
Old 28 August 2012, 06:51 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

No fella up in penpedairheol im from, and you would certainly expect a better service than what you just mentioned! No wonder they dont come highly reccomended from your experience lol, we wouldn be happy with tha either! And it probably didn stop u venting a little frustation at the wife lol never good times!

No doubt ill catch you sooner or later at a meet or something, interested to see a cossie hatch
Old 28 August 2012, 07:10 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Yeah,tossers...My misses went there and wiped the floor with them big time,had a refund...promised 2 free services but they denied saying it after so only had the one...and their "best techie theyve got" got sacked....I had that much grief with them I had to get Jaguar HQ involved...
Old 28 August 2012, 09:56 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Never a good thing, can see why you have been put off as no doubt would I! Most of the work done on the car's we have owned over the years is done in a local garage, rather fund somebody trying to make a living than a company trying to pull ur pants down!! And you get better customer service, although when they have gone back to main dealer they have let me wander the workshop and see whats what with it all so cant really complain, guess we have been fortunate in that respect, shame you have had such problems, never really spoken to anybody with a jag that uses them so never really heard any horror stories tbh
Old 29 August 2012, 07:07 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
I have been before the magistrates over a hand held speed gun they use and for the record i won

It has been proven that you can make a brick wall do 30 mph with a hand held device, they will throw it out of court especially if they dont have any evidence against you! Or at least they did with me but i argued black and blue along with my brief! Thas where 34 mph comes from in my case as thas what they tried to prosecute me with, i was beaming when i walked from court and the copper was there that was trying to give me the 3 points he wern so happy tho!

Details please? How did you manage to convince the magistrate you weren't doing 34 when the laser registered that speed?

Thx
Old 29 August 2012, 05:04 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Hand held devices catch your speed at that moment, they dont take any pictures for evidence of anything, the copper who tried doing me was on a motorcycle hidden behind the wall, got to court and basically argued the facts which were,
Hand held cameras are not always correct, if the operator moves slightly it will effect the reading the gun is showing, plus normally when u get caught by a hand held there is normally another copper further down the road waiting for you, pull you over and hand over a fixed speeding notice which not many people detest due to fear of courts or what have you, however this guy was on his bike and came after me and stopped me probably just under a mile up the road, which was where i refused the ticket and asked for the matter to be taken before the courts which is the option they should always give you any way.

When in court i argued the fact that this officer was working alone and from a motorbike and was hidden behind a wall with a set of railings where the gun could see through! Also my solicitor asked for the recent calibration records for the speed trap in question which were "not available" at that time, every camera device that captures your speed needs to be configured regularly or so im led to beleive and will have reports for each camera with readings and calibrations related to it

He then argued the fact that a hand held device is not empowering enough to grant a conviction on the grounds of the speed an innacuracy of the reading as like i said one movement from the offier and it will read false, he had no evidence to support his claim of my speed and with no fellow officers in toe what chance did he have! It was set in my mind before i even entered the court room i was not getting done for this alleged offence and that probably went a long way as well, plus the fact i had a well switched on duty solicitor who argued my case beautifully!

I have had the same arguments with a t5 police vehicle that caught my speed on camera, it was showing a speed of just over 100 think it was 103 or something like that! Went in to court knowing i was up against it but again argued the above points with the calibration records and that it was possible i was not excesing 100mph at which point i was handed a 7 day driving ban, well not even a ban my licence was revoked and was not valid for 7 days and had a £60 fine which was way better for me than the 9 points they where pushing for imo as my licence is very important to me in my job, and yes you can sit there and say "well dont speed" and granted yes maybe we sould not but can anybody tell me hand on heart they have never had to be somewhere in a rush and used the loud pedal a little more than needed?? Plus i dont have a scoob to sit at 30mph all day long, its part of the thrill and when ur older and look back its the foolish memories that put a smile on ur face and think to yourself "funny tha was"

But thats just me
Old 29 August 2012, 07:36 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you also had a sniper...hiding out of sight...its not on...glad you won on the day...The speed limits and the whole attitude to speeding need a rethink by the government...How long have we had these pathetic limits now? 50years? Since the days of non servo drum brakes and skinny tyres for sure