Neighbour problem - harrasment?

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2012, 07:42 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Neighbour problem - harrasment?

Not sure where the boundaries lie on this, anyhow.

A couple of years ago, might not be that long, the old sods next door (or one of their family members) put a complaint into work about me parking the van outside their house of an evening.

Their claim was that I was parking the van in a disabled bay, and if an Ambulance was needed there would be nowhere for the Ambulance to park.

Blatant lie and easily proved, but, it was the whole ball ache at work, as they complained direct to head office. Besides, an Ambulance will just block a road.

On return to the depot tonight, I got called in to speak to my shift manager.

Another complaint.

The complaint this time, is that I refuse to park the van on my driveway, as I will only park my car on my driveway, and apparently I told them to go whistle.

That would be fine, IF, I actually spoke to them. I don't like them so avoid any contact with them.

Quick pic I took just now;

I think I might struggle to get my car on the drive, that I don't have.

Anyone know where I stand about this? My work van is taxed and insured, fair enough it's not MOT'd.
Old 26 July 2012, 07:46 PM
Blue and Gold
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're in the **** if there's no mot on it fella, either way though I'd tell them to go whistle disabled or not providing you don't block their disabled bay there's nothing they can do

I had a similar situation a few years ago with an old neighbor
Old 26 July 2012, 07:50 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you need to take a taxi to the kerb

Not sure what the neighbours could do apart from reading this and report the lack of MOT.

Shaun
Old 26 July 2012, 08:00 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I get the bus to the kerb, Shaun. Taxi's are quite expensive.

It's not old enough to need an MOT.

There's no disabled bay, my van is parked where I always park it.
Old 26 July 2012, 08:33 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Scoob looks lovely sat there, Micky
Old 26 July 2012, 08:33 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Missed the obvioius non-MOT angle LOL

Seriously, you can either ignore it or go through the vexatious complaint route... via plod or through work or solicitor.

I wouldn't bother going to see them as it might get a bit "gobby".

Shaun
Old 26 July 2012, 08:39 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

can you not park your scoob there instead? that way if anyone tries to rob it they break into next door
Old 26 July 2012, 08:44 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

the only problem i see is (apart from being a foot of the kerb miss daisy) is parking at the speed hump. Had this a while ago in a street i had never been down , at night time. I had to drive down the wrong side off the road and the white triangle is on the other side , and i hit it at 30 in my lowered Focus.
Old 26 July 2012, 08:51 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

^^^ lol as above, at post 7
Park your car and van a bit forward just to give a little peace, but they can't do **** about it as both vehicles are taxed and you can park were you want, apart from double yellows, disabled,loading bay etc, f them, they are just crying because there is a green isore blocking there view.
Take this pic to your boss and they can then decide who's being awkward.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 26 July 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 26 July 2012, 08:59 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I can't understand why they are getting the hump looking out of their living room window at somebody else's big green and yellow van

If it were me I'd have had a word with you rather than the company you work for, no point landing you in the s**t over it.

Last edited by nik52wrx; 26 July 2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 26 July 2012, 09:10 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

If you want to go the right way, go to the police and report them for harassment as ultimately they could easily have cost you your job due to being petty. You could however be just as petty and start sending takeaways round, booking appointments for quotes for walk in baths, or as we did to a friend who was living at home with his parents and send lots of info of 'He to She' drugs and procedures
Old 26 July 2012, 09:12 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Why not move the Scooby back a bit (and a bit closer to the kerb) and park the van on the speed hump in front of your house. I would be a bit peed of if I had a big van stuck out the front of my house blocking the view.
Old 26 July 2012, 09:20 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's sh*t parking, did a women do it????
Old 26 July 2012, 09:24 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Park the van between the scoob and the kerb.
Old 26 July 2012, 09:26 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Park the van between the scoob and the kerb.
Only the van? You'd get the house in there too.
Old 26 July 2012, 11:20 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

In the neighbours defence It bugs the pants out of me when the neighbour parks their car right outside my house. Yes I have a drive but it means visitors have to park down the road and my neighbour has 3 cars.

Sadly there is nothing I can do about it so I live with it.

Pm me you van details and I'll send yur managing director a very polite letter saying how you took a minute to help my elderly mother when she fell over...
Old 26 July 2012, 11:24 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Micky neighbourly disputes are best resolved mate. Much as you may not like them and wish to avoid them it will only exacerbate things. Have a polite word with them and see if you can find some middle ground. Life's too short to be fratching with someone next door to you.
Old 26 July 2012, 11:27 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Micky neighbourly disputes are best resolved mate. Much as you may not like them and wish to avoid them it will only exacerbate things. Have a polite word with them and see if you can find some middle ground. Life's too short to be fratching with someone next door to you.
Lob a brick through their window...
Old 26 July 2012, 11:32 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
I can only agree there, nice friendly chat, cuppa tea etc and come to a resolution,as it can go on for years or till you/they move.
Good job I have nice neighbours, in a morning I'm his alarm clock....BBBRRRRR!
Old 26 July 2012, 11:32 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Ask your manager for a copy of the letters, give them to plod as evidence of the harassment. Give it some tears that you fear you'll be sacked etc. Ask that it's recorded, for future reference if you don't want plod to take any action at this stage.

I don't see that your managers could refuse to release the complaints to you, if they have already informed you of them.

Or paint double yellows in front of your car so you can't park there
Old 26 July 2012, 11:38 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Park the scoob on the green across the road with a 'for sale' sign on. If your council is anything like ours they won't do a thing about it. Then you can park your work van outside your own house.
Although sadly, having that big van in front of your house will block your view of the scoob on the green.....
Old 26 July 2012, 11:42 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Rid yourself of all the hassle totally and leave the van at work?
Old 26 July 2012, 11:43 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I'd be very annoyed as well if I had that van parked outside my house, why not pull the van up close to the speed bump, with the scoob close behind it, it at least looks like your making an effort.

Both vehicles are parked a foot away from the Kerb with huge gaps in-between.
Old 27 July 2012, 12:11 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by cookstar
I'd be very annoyed as well if I had that van parked outside my house, why not pull the van up close to the speed bump, with the scoob close behind it, it at least looks like your making an effort.

Both vehicles are parked a foot away from the Kerb with huge gaps in-between.
I'll try to explain here. Firstly, the van is only there on an evening and granted a weekend. The problem we have, is that vehicles can only park on one side of the street so you have all the people with vehicles on our side parked up, then several who live across the road as well (even though many of them have driveways/garages) to the rear on their side. Obviously we can't do anything about that, but it means parking is really restricted.

What the picture doesn't show, is just below the speed bump is the other neighbour's car, so unless he was willing/able to park further down, there just isn't the space to fit the van between his car and ours. The only way around this, would be to park the car further up, thus in front of the same house, and he would still complain. As for the gap, well there are two reasons for this, 1) because parking is tight, we often have the next car up parked on the rear of the van, so he has to leave some space to allow him to actually get out and 2) if he was to park closer to the car, he would be blocking the gate, and access to the road should an ambulance arrive (which was the major complaint about the van being parked there-that it wouldn't be able to park right outside).

The fact is, there is just such limited parking on the road, it is unavoidable that something will be parked outside his house as it stands. We are not trying to be awkward here. If it wasn't the van, it would be the car.
Old 27 July 2012, 12:22 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are parking legally, I would tell them to fvck off

They are not entitled to a "van free" view unless they buy a better house
Old 27 July 2012, 12:26 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Well firstly you are perfectly within your rights to tell him to go forth and multiply as you are doing nothing illegal, but that tends to lead to an escalation of hostilities so is not a good iea (it won't surprise anyone on here to know that I have been there LOL ).

So how about you try a compromise. Is it particualrly the van he objects to? If so why not stick it ourside your house and leave the Scoob outside his? Not all the time maybe but at least some of the time. See if that placates him. Just a thought!
Old 27 July 2012, 12:26 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
If you are parking legally, I would tell them to fvck off

They are not entitled to a "van free" view unless they buy a better house
Buy a better house? Don't make me ******* laugh! (sorry for the language)

They have lived there for around 20 years, it's council btw. In that time, neither of them have worked a single day. If anything, they should be grateful to us workers for the fact, we have in part paid for them to do the grand sum of **** all for all that time.
Old 27 July 2012, 12:36 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
I'll try to explain here. Firstly, the van is only there on an evening and granted a weekend. The problem we have, is that vehicles can only park on one side of the street so you have all the people with vehicles on our side parked up, then several who live across the road as well (even though many of them have driveways/garages) to the rear on their side. Obviously we can't do anything about that, but it means parking is really restricted.

What the picture doesn't show, is just below the speed bump is the other neighbour's car, so unless he was willing/able to park further down, there just isn't the space to fit the van between his car and ours. The only way around this, would be to park the car further up, thus in front of the same house, and he would still complain. As for the gap, well there are two reasons for this, 1) because parking is tight, we often have the next car up parked on the rear of the van, so he has to leave some space to allow him to actually get out and 2) if he was to park closer to the car, he would be blocking the gate, and access to the road should an ambulance arrive (which was the major complaint about the van being parked there-that it wouldn't be able to park right outside).

The fact is, there is just such limited parking on the road, it is unavoidable that something will be parked outside his house as it stands. We are not trying to be awkward here. If it wasn't the van, it would be the car.
So is it you that complained Lisa,Or you a neighbour/partner of the op etc, I'm confused here

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 27 July 2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 27 July 2012, 12:39 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

If its the van they object to, surely for a quiet life you can park it outside your house and have the Scoob in front of their house?

Edit: the sane person that's got hold of F1 Fans login tonight beat me to it.

Last edited by Neanderthal; 27 July 2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 27 July 2012, 12:39 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

If they don't work, how can they afford a car?

Park the scoob on the waste ground with a sticker saying "Police Aware".

Quick Reply: Neighbour problem - harrasment?