Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Water meters - to swap or not?

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2012, 01:28 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water meters - to swap or not?

Our fresh supply is through Anglian Water and we've just had a leaflet saying they are fitting water meters to every house "in your neighrbourhood" very soon. Obviously I have two choices - to switch to a meter or not as I'm currently on standard rate charges

But, say I swap to a meter and my bills go up by 'x' amount, can I still use their 2 year 'no questions asked' return to standard rate charges? There must be a loophole somewhere for them?

I'm tempted incase it saves us money but if my bills shot up due to having a family, I could be worse off. This may sound selfish but Anglian do give you two choices so I'm after the best financially for me/my family.

Others experiences?
Old 15 May 2012, 01:35 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Run it through a comparison site.

A few water companies give away money saving gadgets, shower timers, un-cistern bags, aerators to fit to taps and showers, which are all designed to reduce your consumption.
Old 15 May 2012, 01:38 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have just had this same convo with my dad.

I live is a relatively new house with a water meter, my parents live in a older house, no meter - similar size houses. Both Severn Trent.

We are a family of four, they are a retired couple - my water bill is pretty much exactly HALF what my dad pays.... he has suspected for years that he would be much better off metered...

So its not always bad news (for once!)
Old 15 May 2012, 01:47 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was very sceptical about water meters and steered clear of them for years! (theres 8 of us in my family)
As the last two houses I bought are new builds, I had no choice but to have one. TBH I was surprised my water bill dropped £15 pm from what I was paying on normal rates! With Welsh Water btw.
As mentioned above it may be worth trying a comparison site.
Old 15 May 2012, 01:56 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was always told you should only pay for the water to be supplied to your house and not for the water you use. However since changing to a meter we save about £300 a year.
Old 15 May 2012, 02:29 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

It used to be said that if you have more bedrooms than people living in your house it is defintely worth having one.

I also think I'd be more concious of water usage and do what I could to reduce it e.g. more water butts off the guttering for watering the garden, be quicker in the shower, only flush on brown, etc.
Old 15 May 2012, 02:38 PM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

There's two of us in three bed house...they wanted £55 a month on rates.

Now it's £25, plus a load of credit now we are metered.

Also, it forces you to be good with water.
Old 15 May 2012, 02:45 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

water meters are no good for large families!

its not bad for a small family,

i live in a small house, 2 bed there me, my wife and 3 small children (under 5)

our usual 6 moth bill was near £60 - £80...

one time this jumped to £190! i had a letter from the company asking if i have a leak etc..but turns out i had new grass layed in my small garden and 2 weeks of watering it hiked the bill!
Old 15 May 2012, 02:46 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

i was on a meter,cost me a tenner a month but was only 2 of us and washed cars at work and washing machine was on about once a week!

NOW

moved house to 4 bed, larger property with big gardens and we got a baby so washing machine on constant, large corner bath as i not fitted the shower yet! not on meter 37 quid a month!

i wont switch as im installing a hot tub too!
Old 15 May 2012, 03:05 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
I have just had this same convo with my dad.

I live is a relatively new house with a water meter, my parents live in a older house, no meter - similar size houses. Both Severn Trent.

We are a family of four, they are a retired couple - my water bill is pretty much exactly HALF what my dad pays.... he has suspected for years that he would be much better off metered...

So its not always bad news (for once!)

Well that doesn't make any sense unless your folk have a leak or a large garden with hosepipe etc?? EDIT - just realised his charge will be on rateable value, not usage.

Having a meter reduces water usage by 15% probably because you are made more aware of using the stuff. Hosepipes in garden, washing machines and baths are the big spenders.

I think every property should have a meter and be charged on a sliding scale. Low cost for average usage but you pay over the odds if you choose to leave the sprinkler on all night.

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 15 May 2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 15 May 2012, 03:08 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

You've got me thinking about this now, as there is only me and the missus at mo. and on the fixed rate.
Mmmmmm
Old 15 May 2012, 03:46 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Well scenario here is it's a 1910 3-bed mid terrace house with a non combo boiler pretty inefficient heating system. There's me, the Mrs and our 14 month old son. So a fair amount of washing machine action, I bath everyday (no shower), mrs baths everyday/other day and son is bathed the same. I don't like the grubby work showers

I wash the car with a pressure washer say once/twice a month weather and hosepipe bans permitting so save that way. I hate gardening so it's never hosed.

So pretty standard for a young family.

I'm with Anglian water so how could a comparisin site help me out? I'm not following on that one. Thanks for the replies, I could do with seeing my usage to work it out better.

Current water bill was about £240 (fresh water only). I pay it on a weekly book at the bank

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 15 May 2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 15 May 2012, 05:08 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Sh*t at work, p*ss in a bottle at home and become a complete soap dodger

then you'll be quids in with a meter
Old 15 May 2012, 06:13 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

IIRC you can try a meter for a month to see the comparison. I'm on one but then again I don't have kids leaving taps on
Old 15 May 2012, 07:51 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
IIRC you can try a meter for a month to see the comparison. I'm on one but then again I don't have kids leaving taps on
Lucky for me my son is 14 months and although bug for his age not quite tall enough to reach taps yet

I get 2 years to decide as per OP but I'm suspicious of any loop holes should my bill be more expensive on a meter and me want to revert back.
Old 15 May 2012, 09:29 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

We had one fitted as the rateable value was high.4 of us in the house .save about 3-400 quid a year on meter .
The deal was, fit meter ,see what bills were like .Upto 13 months and we could revert to rateable value for bill or stick with meter forever.
We move and any new owner would automatically be billed on meter.
Old 16 May 2012, 12:31 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How well do you get on with your neighbours? Have a meter fitted in your house and if they don't have a meter and you get on well with them, then use their hose to do the garden and wash the car and save even more money!
Old 16 May 2012, 12:57 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Get a shower first of all!
You are using a ****e load more water having baths everyday. Fine if you are on rates, but that will seriously hit you in the pocket when on a meter.
I don't think I have had a bath in the last 3 years! (I do shower everyday before you all turn your noses up!)

We have also lived in new or nearly new properties and so have always been on water meter.
For the last 18 months, we have been in our new 3 bed terraced house and the water bill has been around £150 every 6 months, so £25 a month. That's with my wife, myself and our 1 year old lad.
Old 16 May 2012, 01:09 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by thesyn
Sh*t at work, p*ss in a bottle at home and become a complete soap dodger

then you'll be quids in with a meter

I used to work with a bloke who always showered and shaved at work, and at the end of the day he took a large flask of hot water home. And whenever the lady threw the out of date sandwiches in the bin form the vending machine, The tight barsteward had them to.
Old 16 May 2012, 01:10 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Gear Head
You are using a ****e load more water having baths everyday. Fine if you are on rates, but that will seriously hit you in the pocket when on a meter.
I don't think I have had a bath in the last 3 years! (I do shower everyday before you all turn your noses up!)

We have also lived in new or nearly new properties and so have always been on water meter.
For the last 18 months, we have been in our new 3 bed terraced house and the water bill has been around £150 every 6 months, so £25 a month. That's with my wife, myself and our 1 year old lad.

Save even more money and just have a ****** bath
Old 16 May 2012, 01:13 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Save even more money and just have a ****** bath
Remind to hold my nose when I meet you.

Besides, ****** cost money and I think she would get pretty pissed off if I started walking off with her bath!
Old 16 May 2012, 02:05 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I'm not a fan of showers Chris. Doing my job I look forward to a relaxing soak in a hot bath after a gruelling 8-12 hour shift. I can't be doing with standing even longer in a shower getting soap suds stuck in my **** hair

That and we have a downstairs bathroom which need to excuse to get damp and consecrated which would cost a fortune to sort out with the additional steam from a shower.
Old 16 May 2012, 02:55 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I'm not a fan of showers Chris. Doing my job I look forward to a relaxing soak in a hot bath after a gruelling 8-12 hour shift. I can't be doing with standing even longer in a shower getting soap suds stuck in my **** hair

That and we have a downstairs bathroom which need to excuse to get damp and consecrated which would cost a fortune to sort out with the additional steam from a shower.
You see, I much prefer to shower in 5 minutes and then plonk myself in front of the TV or play with my son. I'd get bored sitting in a bath and my **** would go numb!

How much you paying a month now?
I still say that meter would probably work out cheaper.
Old 16 May 2012, 03:05 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

1. Showers are cleaner if you do dirty work: you don't soak in the dirt, it washes off.
2. Since you use LESS water, why would there be MORE steam? Doesn't work like that.
3. I'll help you fit a shower if you want one, not too difficult

4. Give AW a ring, ask them a) to do a comparison for you and b) if there are any loopholes.

My bro in law pays MUCH less than we do for metered water. BUT: when I rang AW a while back with the two lads at home, I was advised NOT to go on a meter yet
Old 16 May 2012, 03:27 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
1. Showers are cleaner if you do dirty work: you don't soak in the dirt, it washes off.
2. Since you use LESS water, why would there be MORE steam? Doesn't work like that.

4. Give AW a ring, ask them a) to do a comparison for you and b) if there are any loopholes.

My bro in law pays MUCH less than we do for metered water. BUT: when I rang AW a while back with the two lads at home, I was advised NOT to go on a meter yet
This is Andy we are talking about here!
I know why he prefers baths; it gives him some peace an quiet away from mrs and baby!

May try that one tonight!
Old 16 May 2012, 03:44 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

You see, I much prefer to shower in 5 minutes and then plonk myself in front of the TV or play with my son. I'd get bored sitting in a bath and my **** would go numb!

How much you paying a month now?
I still say that meter would probably work out cheaper.
My sons not generally up at 11pm by the time I've ridden home and had a bath after a 2-10
Currently I pay £24 pm which is an overpayment of about £2-3. That's over 10 months in a water payment book

Originally Posted by alcazar

Nat wants a shower, I'm not bothered as I prefer baths regardless. Was good enough years ago and renains so, so no justification required Haven't currently got ££ for a shower, besides I have a shower head tap

I'll remember to ask Anglian for more detailed info.

This is Andy we are talking about here!
I know why he prefers baths; it gives him some peace an quiet away from mrs and baby!

May try that one tonight!
Now you're cottoning on.
Old 16 May 2012, 03:46 PM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

get one and get a bung for the meter.unless meter has to be taken off it will never be found and it slows the meter down to 1/5.ideal when you have an 18 foot pool in your garden !

but i live in devon so south west water are screwing us over bigtime down here and have the biggest water bills in the country by nearly double.

Last edited by marcevs72; 16 May 2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 17 May 2012, 04:21 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We've had a meter for nearly three years now, our standing order each month is only £8!!! Mind you there are only me n the missus but we were paying nearly £50 before the meter was fitted.
GET A METER!!!