Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

People Like This Do Not Deserve Freedom

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2012, 04:58 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default People Like This Do Not Deserve Freedom

I'm sure most of you have seen this story.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

I find it impossible to put into words my disgust at reading what this man has done. Can you imagine being subjected to something like this?

The worst thing is the fact he's only been given a minimum of 6 years. Some life sentence! I think 16 years as an absolute minimum before there are even any discussions about a potential release. He is clearly the kind of person who would give no thought in causing untold damage to the lives of others. A truly dangerous individual. How many are roaming the streets right now, I wonder.

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 11 May 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11 May 2012, 05:13 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

+1
Old 11 May 2012, 05:49 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

shocking situation!

another example of a callous, evil man.

even the judge stated how horrific it was but prosecution still accept a lesser sentance if pleads quilty to a lesser crime? is that how it happens?

thats so fcking wrong!!

i think there may be select cases where a lesser sentance could be used if a quilty plea is made to it, but not in a situation like this.
no justice there atall imo!!!
Old 11 May 2012, 07:13 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

He has been jailed indefinitely, Which means he could be there for the rest of his life.

Normally on these sentences they will do a lot longer than the minimum 6 years stated. It's not like a regular sentence where you serve the 6 year minimum and get released.
Old 11 May 2012, 07:19 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AFAIK He has been given an ideterminate sentence... he won't see the light of day, or if he does he will be so old that it doesn't matter. Like Ian Brady.

Shaun
Old 11 May 2012, 07:31 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

^^^^ Oh well, not such a bad outcome there then. I skimmed the article and just saw 6 year minimum!
Old 11 May 2012, 07:36 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

He has been given an IPP (Imprisonment for Public Protection) which is as others say, effectively a life sentence.

What people don't appreciate is that Judge's are bound by sentencing guidelines and in these circumstances, the minimum period to be served is half of the determinate sentence that would have been passed-which is in turn, determined by the sentencing guidelines!

The reality is that,in the case of an IPP being passed, he will not be permitted to apply for release until he has served a minimum of 6 years. After that, he will have to make an application to the parole board and satisfy them that he is not a danger to the public. He has been found to be dangerous, which means that "that there is a significant risk of causing serious harm (physical or psychological) by the commission of further specified offences" ie similar offences.

It takes an awful lot to persuade the parole board that you are no longer dangerous, when an IPP is passed. IF he is eventually released, he will be on life licence, which means that he will be at risk of recall to prison for an indeterminate period of time for ANYTHING-even being suspected of an offence but not being charged. It is only if you have been out of trouble for a minimum of 10 years, can you apply for the life licence to be revoked (only for IPP sentences not LIFE sentences).

Don't blame the Judge's for lenient sentences (as some of you are complaining that the 6yr minimum is too lenient), blame the sentencing guideline's council who issue the sentencing guidelines which by law, the Judges MUST follow. Had he not got an IPP, he would have received 12 years-reduced from 18 for his early guilty plea (credit which must be given according to the sentencing guidelines council).

Last edited by ritchie21; 11 May 2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11 May 2012, 10:14 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

that clears up a lot for me

didnt know most of above, thanks

i understand judges are regulated by a governing body, and must act in accordance, i think they should maybe be extended some more influence in sentencing - even if it has to be agreed by more than one judge to try eliminate bias in anyway.

im sure there is complex set ups regarding sentencing guidelines - quite probable i knwo none of them, and with explanation i could understand - but i definitely mis-interpreted the sentencing in this case. heres hoping he doesnt infact see the light of day again.
Old 11 May 2012, 10:20 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ritchie21
He has been given an IPP (Imprisonment for Public Protection) which is as others say, effectively a life sentence.

What people don't appreciate is that Judge's are bound by sentencing guidelines and in these circumstances, the minimum period to be served is half of the determinate sentence that would have been passed-which is in turn, determined by the sentencing guidelines!

The reality is that,in the case of an IPP being passed, he will not be permitted to apply for release until he has served a minimum of 6 years. After that, he will have to make an application to the parole board and satisfy them that he is not a danger to the public. He has been found to be dangerous, which means that "that there is a significant risk of causing serious harm (physical or psychological) by the commission of further specified offences" ie similar offences.

It takes an awful lot to persuade the parole board that you are no longer dangerous, when an IPP is passed. IF he is eventually released, he will be on life licence, which means that he will be at risk of recall to prison for an indeterminate period of time for ANYTHING-even being suspected of an offence but not being charged. It is only if you have been out of trouble for a minimum of 10 years, can you apply for the life licence to be revoked (only for IPP sentences not LIFE sentences).

Don't blame the Judge's for lenient sentences (as some of you are complaining that the 6yr minimum is too lenient), blame the sentencing guideline's council who issue the sentencing guidelines which by law, the Judges MUST follow. Had he not got an IPP, he would have received 12 years-reduced from 18 for his early guilty plea (credit which must be given according to the sentencing guidelines council).
good info mate

it does appear to have its flaws however, its seemingly quite common occurance for people to, slip the net so to speak. we do hear a lot about people re-offending, when they are under some kind of licence.
and whats the thinking behind reduced sentancing for guilty pleas?

on the face of it, it seems its driven by finance. less time/money needed to build a case ect - is that a million miles off?

thanks
Old 12 May 2012, 12:46 AM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

He attacked her nine times in the year leading up to him blinding her

why didnt she leave after the 1st, 2nd ????

Old 12 May 2012, 12:57 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LUCKO
He attacked her nine times in the year leading up to him blinding her

why didnt she leave after the 1st, 2nd ????

It's easy to look at it that way when you are not involved, and think you might never be so weak for want of a better word. People can be very manipulative and over-powering making a partner feel either so fearful or worthless that they can't get out.
Old 12 May 2012, 02:00 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I know it sounds harsh, but to some extent these are self-inflicted injuries

The Police had made several previous attempts to prosecute him, for assaults on her and others, and were thwarted by her both refusing to testify, and also outright lying to protect him

I hear what you are saying about manipulation Lisa, but apparently she was warned by practically the entire town to steer clear from the beginning, but she thought she knew better
Old 12 May 2012, 08:06 AM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
good info mate

it does appear to have its flaws however, its seemingly quite common occurance for people to, slip the net so to speak. we do hear a lot about people re-offending, when they are under some kind of licence.
and whats the thinking behind reduced sentancing for guilty pleas?

on the face of it, it seems its driven by finance. less time/money needed to build a case ect - is that a million miles off?

thanks
Credit for guilty plea is important. You have to give people incentive to plead guilty rather than have a trial-otherwise everyone will simply have a trial. Part of it is money saving BUT the primary factor is that if the evidence is there and you have a defendant who will plead guilty for a lesser sentence, it is better for the victims/witnesses who will have a speedy conclusion AND most importantly, will not have to re-live the experience by giving evidence.
Old 12 May 2012, 12:52 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
It's easy to look at it that way when you are not involved, and think you might never be so weak for want of a better word. People can be very manipulative and over-powering making a partner feel either so fearful or worthless that they can't get out.
I see where you are coming from, Lisa, but LUCKO has a valid point.
She is a good looking lady and he is vile. I can never understand wimmins who put up with type of treatment when the door is so easy to find and walk out of
Old 12 May 2012, 01:02 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Default Pure scum / evil ...

Where does it say 6yrs as I can only see indefinite? Why only GBH? Seems a strange offence for deliberately blinding someone.

TX.
Old 12 May 2012, 01:42 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

"Guidelines" seems an inappropriate word?? They seem to be exact rules for sentencing and not "guidelines" at all. When can a judge decide for himself?

dl
Old 13 May 2012, 03:37 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

My issue here is that the guy had a long history of violence that he was never punished for hence his behavior got worse. I sympathise with the Woman but she voluntarily dated a notoriously violent thug becuase she found that aspect of him attractive. I have met loads of women who are attracted to violence and agression and then they act surprised when it bites them on the ****. Its one thing to be trapped in a relationship with a normal seeming man who has bouts of violent rage but a different thing to deliberately go out with aggressive thugs.
Old 13 May 2012, 03:51 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Unfortunately the hotter the woman, the more of a b@stard she partners with..... In general
Old 13 May 2012, 04:19 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
My issue here is that the guy had a long history of violence that he was never punished for hence his behavior got worse. I sympathise with the Woman but she voluntarily dated a notoriously violent thug becuase she found that aspect of him attractive. I have met loads of women who are attracted to violence and agression and then they act surprised when it bites them on the ****. Its one thing to be trapped in a relationship with a normal seeming man who has bouts of violent rage but a different thing to deliberately go out with aggressive thugs.
Totally agree. It doesn't take any guilt away from him at all, but it does mean there was a certain amount of stupidity involved on her part. As you say, there are plenty of women around willingly consenting to poor treatment, mental more than physical, for this reason.
Old 13 May 2012, 04:22 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Oh, and she had kids around as well. F*cking crazy. Just shows how strong the baser instincts can be and how they can lead a person away from making rational decisions in order to be gratified.
Old 13 May 2012, 04:30 PM
Yellow R
Scooby Regular

one evil fu**ing cun*
Old 13 May 2012, 04:57 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

He has gone to a secure mental home for the rest of his life it said in the paper
Old 14 May 2012, 12:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They should throw away the key!

Les