Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dog dilemma - anyone with 2 dogs?

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2012, 10:56 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Dog dilemma - anyone with 2 dogs?

I need to know people's experiences of 2 dogs kept together, preferably of different ages with the positives and negatives.

I've bred from my 3 year old Chocolate Labrador and I am desperate to keep the boy pup but I have to make sure if I do keep him I am doing the right thing.

Obviously I am fully aware of the cost implications, i'm more interested in the behaviour of 2 dogs kept together as opposed to having just one dog.

Here he is (best I can get at the moment as they are all playing)

Old 25 April 2012, 11:15 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes have 2 border collies here. One is 7 the other just 1.
The older of the 2 used to bark at everybody and run away when on walks.
Since bringing in the pup who loves people it has actually changed the behaviour of the older dog for the better, never runs away any more.
We worried about the same thing but to be honest it is the best thing we have ever done. They are best of mates.
Just make sure you get the wee mans baws off!
Old 25 April 2012, 11:20 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

9 year old terrier and Collie just turned 4. As above really the younger Collie has mellowed the terrier a bit. They get on fine.

Common mistake people make is to try and 'force' the older dog to be the dominant one. Having been in this situation twice I find it by far the best solution to let them sort it themselves - it may seem odd to us if the younger ends up 'top dog' but they'll both be happier if they're in their natural position in the 'pack'.

You'll have a bit of work to do to make sure the puppy (who looks great, no wonder you want to keep him!) sees you as the overall boss but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it, things should work out just fine
Old 25 April 2012, 11:21 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

The golden rule is to not have two from the same litter. This avoids the dogs squabbling over who is top dog. The pup will soon learn it's place.

You will generally find that they will entertain each other and keep each other company if you are not with them for a short period.

Just be sensible and give the older dog a place she can escape to, where the pup can't harass her, if she needs a little time-out.
Old 25 April 2012, 11:27 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies so far, just to add 'Theo' (Wife named him as soon as he was born even though she wants nothing to do with him!) will be crate trained and so he won't be able to encroach on his Mum's bed at night time or anywhere else for that matter. As part of any agreement from my Wife that I keep him he will be living in my study with me as I work from home where as his Mum has free roam of the downstairs so she will be free to come and go as she pleases.
Old 25 April 2012, 12:08 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

We've had a mix of dogs a few times and always positive. They have always been bitches so no knowledge of dog/bitch relationships but assume this will be fine if related (?).

Last mix was Golden and 2 Cavaliers, young and old. Older Cavalier was boss and youngster used to sit on top of Golden in their large basket so that she had a better view of TV.

I left back gate open one day and all three followed my scent to my local and wandered in looking for me

dl
Old 25 April 2012, 01:33 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always had 2 dogs, and never had a problem. When one dies of old age, I buy a new puppy within a month to keep the other one company.

My dog passed away a few weeks ago, and recently I've bought a new puppy (cavalier king charles spaniel). My other dog who is a 1 year old border terrier loves her so much and visa versa. They are always playing and the terrier knows when to stop and she is never rough with her. They slept together within 2 days and are happy as pie together.
Old 25 April 2012, 02:23 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Got two Rottweilers, brothers and no problems.
Old 25 April 2012, 03:05 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

My parents always had two (at least) of whatever pet and found it easier than if there was ever one. I remember when of of the cats died, the younger one was totally lost!

My parents had a Yorkshire Terrier (awful thing!) and then they had a mutt when she was about 3. She didn't take kindly to the new arrival at first but they soon found their place in the house! A few nipped ears from time to time, but no major scuffles.

I'm sure that as long as you stay the top dog and just keep a watchful eye, all will be fine.
Old 25 April 2012, 06:14 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

4 year old American bulldog bitch....had from 6 wk old
4 month American bulldog

He kicks her *** daily.........then she puts a stop to it
They really have paired well
Old 25 April 2012, 08:06 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I,ve got 2 Westie bitches. One is 8 years old and the other is 2 years old. Besides the normal squabbles over food and toys they get on great. Steve.
Old 25 April 2012, 08:11 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I think it just depends on the dog. mine are amazingly soft with each other yet one of my mums is an absoulte nightmare!
Old 25 April 2012, 08:14 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Have you got any pups going for sale mate,drop me a PM if you have
Old 25 April 2012, 09:04 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by prodriverules
Have you got any pups going for sale mate,drop me a PM if you have
Sorry but I had a huge waiting list and the pups were all sold the day they were born (I changed my mind on Theo's owners as I didn't think they were suitable hence the chance of keeping him). I do have a contact though who has a litter due and she in turn has many contacts all with litters now or due soon in the South East so if a serious enquiry I can put you in touch. I had people wanting to come from as far as Bermuda and the Cayman Islands for my pups and so Chocolate Labradors seem to be very much in demand right now although I had plenty of enquiries for black and yellow pups too even though it stated both parents were chocolate.

My Wife has got her way and i'm not going to be keeping Theo so I'm massively fcuked off right now. Me and him have a bond already after 6 weeks and so I am going to miss him greatly. New prospective owners coming Saturday afternoon

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 25 April 2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 25 April 2012, 11:54 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I have two Bitch Chesapeake Bay Retrievers one of 8 1/2 and the other 4 1/2 years they are half sisters on the dad side and they get along fine have the odd squabble but so do us humans it is just dogs growl at each other where we shout at each other

Neither is top dog which ever has the toy owns it etc Dominance in dogs doesnt really exist in a fixed ridged way dogs it is just an old wives tail, i do try and let them sort out their squabbles .

i think having 2 dogs enriches their lives but i would suggest making sure there is a good age gap
Old 26 April 2012, 12:04 AM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
Sorry but I had a huge waiting list and the pups were all sold the day they were born (I changed my mind on Theo's owners as I didn't think they were suitable hence the chance of keeping him). I do have a contact though who has a litter due and she in turn has many contacts all with litters now or due soon in the South East so if a serious enquiry I can put you in touch. I had people wanting to come from as far as Bermuda and the Cayman Islands for my pups and so Chocolate Labradors seem to be very much in demand right now although I had plenty of enquiries for black and yellow pups too even though it stated both parents were chocolate.

My Wife has got her way and i'm not going to be keeping Theo so I'm massively fcuked off right now. Me and him have a bond already after 6 weeks and so I am going to miss him greatly. New prospective owners coming Saturday afternoon
I'd very much appreciate you putting me in contact with them thankq,or if the prospective buyers fall through let me know.
PM me more info thanks
Ryan
Old 26 April 2012, 07:02 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I have two labs (black and brown) with 3 years apart, they adore each other and sleep together, run round the garden together and play/fight for fun. Both are bitches if that's relevant.

I'd always recommend having two dogs
Old 26 April 2012, 08:57 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

We've had two lots of two dogs (all bitches) over the past 30 odd years, all labs. The first two were 5 years apart, and we decided that that was too much, as when the first one was getting frail (they both lived to 15) the younger one still wanted longer/faster walks. The first dog wasn't that keen on the new one, and totally dominated her.

Our second "pair" were 18 months apart and got on really well, though the older one was always top dog. It was great to see them play together, and we often watched them rather than the TV they were so entertaining. Sadly the older one died aged 13 last year, and the younger has had to start making decisions for herself for the first time in her life.
Old 26 April 2012, 05:26 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
Very sweet.

I think two dogs can be good together. My son's SBT becomes friends with other dogs quite easily. He has a husky mate and rottweiler mate, who stay with him quite a bit. He'd rather be with them than on his own. It was only the once when Rottweiler and our SBT had a b!tchfight and they bit each other. Anyway, they both went to the vets, got treated and now they are best mates again.
Old 26 April 2012, 05:59 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm keeping him! My Wife relented and let me keep him so I am celebrating tonight with a couple of drinks
Old 26 April 2012, 06:10 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I'm working on persuading the missus we need a second Newfoundland. I keep referring to him as Ted, to get her used to it
Old 26 April 2012, 07:06 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

good luck with that. Ted's a good name though seems to suit a big old fluffy Newfoundland. I've told the Wife i'll stick with Theo although a little posh rather than tough like Razor or Tyson
Old 26 April 2012, 07:16 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies, i'm hoping that although Mum dog turned out to be not a natural Mum - she wasn't exactly happy when the pups were born - will enjoy having her Son as company. She plays with Theo much better than the girls and i hope it develops into a great bond between them.
Old 27 April 2012, 12:27 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior