Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

250 mile charity cycle on a mountain bike?

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2012, 10:22 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 250 mile charity cycle on a mountain bike?

Looking for some thoughts from the sccobynet biking massive

I'm doing a charity ride this year with a few colleagues of mixed ability. Used to road cycle a lot when I was younger but got into mountain biking a while back and have stuck with that ever since.

Don't really want to spend £££ on a road bike for it, as I probably won't use it much afterwards.

I've got a half decent Scott aluminium hardtail MTB and the question is, if I stick a set of road wheels/tyres on it (not sure if I've got clearance for 27" or not), lock out the fork, and stick some touring type bar ends on, do you think that would work?

Cheers

Scott
Old 29 March 2012, 10:50 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing the C2C in June and have a similar problem! I ride a full suss Lapierre Spicy and it's a right bus!

I've been doing some training routes, on road, although the actual route is off road. I've put some Schwalbe, Land Cruisers on. They have a continuous bead around the centre and roll so much easier than my knobblies. I also have my suspension pumped right up. It's going ok but I am considering a Ragley

I have used full slicks on an MTB before, they really make a difference. I'd try some tyres first, much easier than swapping wheels out.
Old 29 March 2012, 11:13 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I don't think you can really put anything other than 26" wheels on a MTB designed for that size especially with V-brakes as the mounts would now be in the wrong place, with discs possibly but I would bother.

As mentioned just stick a set of slicks on it, lock out the fork, bar ends may be useful for comfort, and if you're not already running them clipless peddles give a massive mechanical advantage. Then ride and see how you get on.

How many miles are you planning on per day, assuming you're not doing the whole 250 mile stint non stop?
Old 29 March 2012, 11:17 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

any local cycle shops ? maybe they would loan you one if you mention them here and there.
Old 29 March 2012, 11:22 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I've done 55miles in one day on a old Emmelle MTB and a few things I noted.....MTB tyres do impede top speed and sap energy even when inflated to their 65psi limit.

Bar ends are nice but personal preference.

I need a comfier saddle and maybe padded cylcing shorts

I didn't have clip-on pedals...I wish I did. Also I should've done alot more training runs beforehand, as otherwise I'd have realised this all sooner (as well as finding out the crank bearing wobble, as 50miles of that drove me insane ).
Old 29 March 2012, 12:15 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

whack on some schwabe city jets
Old 29 March 2012, 12:39 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Stick on some slick or hybrid tyres.

Bar ends are good for giving you differnet riding positions.

Get some shimano clipless pedals, cheap as chips. Shoes to go with pedals can be had for as little as £30.

Decent shorts and gloves.

And cream up around your nads every morning
Old 29 March 2012, 01:12 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Just been out on mine with the knobblies on, my god they drag!!! Also forgot that last time I went on it I let the suspension down...I'm knackered!

And also forgot that I'd lashed it with GT85, found out as I approached a cliff edge!
Old 29 March 2012, 01:12 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

You'll be fine even on 26s....

As mentioned above some Schwalbe marathon plus or city jets to make your life a bit easier and off you go...worth making sure your saddle is spot on for height etc as it will take its toll over that distance...

Good luck
Old 29 March 2012, 01:25 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Friend of mine is doing the Newcastle to Edinburgh ride .. seems to be a lot of these about.
Old 29 March 2012, 02:51 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Friend of mine is doing the Newcastle to Edinburgh ride .. seems to be a lot of these about.
Cracking ride that one.

Last year I did Ravenglass to South Shields. Once you get out of the **** end of Cumbria it's a lovely ride
Old 29 March 2012, 02:53 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys

Hydraulic discs so no v brake issue - although from reading on, 26's should be fine with the right tyres.

I'm already clipless, have a decent saddle, padded shorts and good gloves, etc.

BIke probably due a full service soon, so I'll get that done pre ride.

Its over three days, so shouldn't be to bad - I'm on the bike a lot so will start upping the distances
Old 29 March 2012, 04:23 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by BOB.T
I'm doing the C2C in June and have a similar problem! I ride a full suss Lapierre Spicy and it's a right bus!

I've been doing some training routes, on road, although the actual route is off road. I've put some Schwalbe, Land Cruisers on. They have a continuous bead around the centre and roll so much easier than my knobblies. I also have my suspension pumped right up. It's going ok but I am considering a Ragley

I have used full slicks on an MTB before, they really make a difference. I'd try some tyres first, much easier than swapping wheels out.
Call in for a cuppa, Bob. C2C goes over the track just up from my house
Old 29 March 2012, 04:52 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

80miles a day on a MTB... ouchies

You'll make it harder for yourself but not impossibly so. I'd personally see if anyone has a road / touring bike they can loan you or maybe hire one; but if you have no choice: the advice given above will see you through (highest possible pressure on the road slicks though and the minimum width your wheels will allow 1.5 / 1.25?)
Old 29 March 2012, 05:05 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

It is quite a lot of mileage when you think about it. Despite everything you can try and do to make a MTB more road friendly the difference a lightweight road bike will make with thin tyres etc. will be huge. Good luck with it though
Old 29 March 2012, 06:28 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

You will probably be struggling to keep up with a half decent cyclist on a road or road type hybrid bike. It will be hard going but not impossible. Defiantly invest in a full service.
Old 29 March 2012, 07:41 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

It's do-able over three days...

Back when I was fit and a lot younger I did 112 miles from home to Robin Hood's Bay and back in a day, MTB + rack with tyres @ 65 psi, and a rucksack and sleeping bag. Averaged 14.5 mph ! On 2.2" Hardpacks ( knobblies ), the worst part with modern bikes, especially suspension models is that you can't mix and match like I did in the 90's.

I fitted a 50T Pace front ring and mounted my U-lock on the bars to use as a tri-bar.... regularly managed to catch "roadies" out training and I could hit 35 mph on the level. Modern compact chainsets won't allow such antics, that's why I kept my 22 year old rigid frame....

Go for it !

dunx

Last edited by dunx; 29 March 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 29 March 2012, 07:50 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I just watched the John Bishop week from hell and he did a 185mile bike and that was on a racer with unbelievably skinny tyres. I did wonder why he wasn't on a mountain bike but reading the above I now understand why.
Old 29 March 2012, 07:52 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

It's only 5 1/2 hours a day at 15 mph, that's easy !

IMHO

dunx
Old 29 March 2012, 07:59 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
It's do-able over three days...

Back when I was fit and a lot younger I did 112 miles from home to Robin Hood's Bay and back in a day, MTB + rack with tyres @ 65 psi, and a rucksack and sleeping bag. Averaged 14.5 mph ! On 2.2" Hardpacks ( knobblies ), the worst part with modern bikes, especially suspension models is that you can't mix and match like I did in the 90's.

I fitted a 50T Pace front ring and mounted my U-lock on the bars to use as a tri-bar.... regularly managed to catch "roadies" out training and I could hit 35 mph on the level. Modern compact chainsets won't allow such antics, that's why I kept my 22 year old rigid frame....

Go for it !

dunx
I cannot beleive you hit 35 mph on an MTB I need a big hill to hit that on my lightweight skinny tyres hybrid.
Old 30 March 2012, 01:43 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Yes, get the skinniest tyres you can. I changed to slicks last year and straight away my average speed on a run increased by 1.5mph.

Steve
Old 30 March 2012, 02:50 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I have hit 51 mph using hills (offroad) on the North Yorks. Moors, but that was too fast.
You need to know that a mad, fit 30 year old who trained with a race team was capable of many foolish things back in the 90's... alright so maybe modern electronics would suggest a downhill assistance, but I'm not talking 1:5 or anything silly.

Me and my pal used to go out and hunt for "roadies" to wind up, can you imagine hearing a fat knobbly tyre'd MTB catching you up on your super dooper road bike ?

LOL

dunx

P.P.S. My pal Paul used to do time trials on his MTB, when the weather was poor his bulk and strength meant he did exceptionally well too !

Last edited by dunx; 30 March 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 30 March 2012, 03:17 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

You are very limited on position (handlebar). Bar ends will help but also a cheap set of tri bars will make a big difference.
Old 30 March 2012, 03:45 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Looking for some thoughts from the sccobynet biking massive
I think your **** is going to feel like it has been violated by a very large group of homosexuals

But good luck!
Fella I work with did approx. 60% of your distance over 2 days.
4 days after completion, he was still complaining of a sort ****
Old 31 March 2012, 11:40 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

My brother in-law has taken up cycling 18 months ago. He has gone from being totally unfit albeit naturally slim to being able to cycle 55mile time trial road races and attaining over 17.5mph average. This gets him a gold award. At the end of the race he is able to just get back normal activities straight away. Obviously a natural having never done any form of fitness. In September he is doing land's end to john o groats in 12 days
Old 31 March 2012, 03:56 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
My brother in-law has taken up cycling 18 months ago. He has gone from being totally unfit albeit naturally slim to being able to cycle 55mile time trial road races and attaining over 17.5mph average. This gets him a gold award. At the end of the race he is able to just get back normal activities straight away. Obviously a natural having never done any form of fitness. In September he is doing land's end to john o groats in 12 days
As a once very keen cyclist, that`s impressive mate. End to end in 12 days will be a very good achievement!