Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Boardman Bikes - Good or Cr*p?

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2012, 01:21 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Boardman Bikes - Good or Cr*p?

Sort of in the market for a road / hybrid / commute type bike, not entirely sure what if anything to get. Mountain biking is where my heart lies but I don't get enough time for it now (11 month old baby) so want something I can go and blast out a few road miles on & use it on a turbo trainer in winter for fitness. May also do the odd commute too either dumping the car halfway or figuring out someway of getting into work in the morning so I can ride home having left the bike there the evening before. Unfortunately my 40 mile commute is too much to do in its entirity though I may work up to it

Anyway looked at a lot of the usual suspects and then had a look at the Boardman range, the bikes seem to offer good value for money. I appreciate it's effectively a Halfords own brand albeit a more upmarket version but are they any good?
Old 28 March 2012, 01:48 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Think theres nothing as such wrong with the bikes .... road bikes and commuters are much of a muchness if comparing like for like on comparable spec etc.

Only problem i do have is how much halfrauds charge for them!

Have a look at tsimilar spec'd stuff from a reputable bike shop and youll probably find halfrauds are a few hundy more for no apparent reason.

J E James is a good shop that usually has some bargains!
Old 28 March 2012, 02:34 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

One of my riding pals has a Boardman MTB, and after over a year of regular use he is still raving about it
I know that's not 100% relevant as you're looking at a commuter, but give an idea of the brand.
Old 28 March 2012, 02:54 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends what your budget is. Entry level Boardman road bikes are around £650. If you want to go full carbon you're looking at £1300.

They are good bikes, get good write ups but unfortunately you have to buy through Halfords

I'd rather go to somewhere like Evans. You may even be able to pick up a 2011 bike in the Spring Sale.

http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bikes
Old 28 March 2012, 05:18 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

They are good bikes but IMO they are over priced for what they are because halfords sell them and people buy them because their companies tie them in on the cycle to work scheme, that's the position I will be in next year when I come to buy a new bike.

Have a look at the specialized Allez from Evans cycles, you will find a similar spec is around half the price of the bordmans.
Old 28 March 2012, 06:16 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

My brother bought a Boardman Full Sus MTB on C2W and has been pretty happy with it. Admittedly he got about £100 off RRP as well as C2W savings (not so great any more tbh). If you do use Halfords Cycle Scheme you can get almost any bike and use certain non halfords stores - at least you could about 3 yrs ago when I got a Specialized but you have to pay full price rather than any sale price which can negate any saving made.
Old 28 March 2012, 07:04 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

I got the entry level Boardman commute bike off of fleabay for £350 as the buyer was in rural Lincolnshire and wanted collection only.

Cant fault it as I'm really really impressed with it, go and have a look at one in Halfrauds and keep an eye on ebay
Old 29 March 2012, 01:06 PM
wiltshire_boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Special offer from today:- http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...e-services.com

I managed to get a 2011 Boardman Team MTB from ebay, only ridden twice, and £250 off the retail price. Chuffed to bits with it.

Last edited by wiltshire_boy; 29 March 2012 at 01:08 PM.