Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone into windows? Rough cost of replacing uPVC windows.

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2012, 11:44 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Anyone into windows? Rough cost of replacing uPVC windows.

Been looking at houses and found a good one, barring a few snags. Lovely 1920's period house, extensively refurbished and modernised (contemporary style) to a highish standard in approx 2005 .

Problem is they used wood framed windows. And guess what? They need re-painting (well all the south facing ones do at least...all ten of them!).

Now my current house has "modern" wood framed windows and I have vowed never again. So to factor into the buying costs I'm considering replacing all the windows in uPVC. Now I know some people like the 'traditional' effect or whatever, but they are standardish profile/style white framed windows of which can easily be replicated in uPVC using flush closing windows, so wouldn't look any different or spoil the look of the house.

The majority are 6ft wide by approx 10ft tall casements, split into three sections wide with the two outer units opening. And three transoms across the top.

I just want a rough guide per window (as most are the same size) including labour (midlands), before I start going in deeper with proper quotes and stuff.

I'm guessing the current glazing units can't be re-used? Or is it still a possibility to cut costs, or would the labour involved outweigh the product cost?

Cheers in advance

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 March 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 27 March 2012, 11:53 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to be into them, but then i began to see right through them......

Sorry. I'll get my coat.

Can't help as ours have all been done and we'll be moving to a pre double-glazed property next.
Old 27 March 2012, 12:28 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm repainting our 15 year old white wooden dormers presently. There are four of them, and each has 16 little windows, sash and case. ****ard of a job. Linseed oil putty needs overpainting just onto the glass too. Look good when nice though.
Old 27 March 2012, 01:05 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

We had our builder replace three units of varying sizes while having some other work done, was around £700 all in so I'd factor between £200 and £400 depending on size per window. He said the more you buy the cheaper he can get them.

Personally I'd just ring round a few local places with measurements for a rough quote, if they won't help you out over the phone then they're probably the sort who use high pressure salesmen so avoid.
Old 27 March 2012, 01:05 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by john banks
I'm repainting our 15 year old white wooden dormers presently. There are four of them, and each has 16 little windows, sash and case. ****ard of a job. Linseed oil putty needs overpainting just onto the glass too. Look good when nice though.
I know the feeling well.

Even more demoralising when I spent hours stripping back, replacing beads (some had started to rot) fresh putty, seal , prime, undercoat, 2 coats of 10yr Akzo Nobel gloss......that lasted about 4yrs on the south side. Had some painters in last time, lasted about 3yrs and left me with a much lighter wallet and now need doing again.

I just can't be dealing with another house that has even more south facing wooden windows.
Old 27 March 2012, 01:14 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
We had our builder replace three units of varying sizes while having some other work done, was around £700 all in so I'd factor between £200 and £400 depending on size per window. He said the more you buy the cheaper he can get them.

Personally I'd just ring round a few local places with measurements for a rough quote, if they won't help you out over the phone then they're probably the sort who use high pressure salesmen so avoid.
Cheers, so if I work on the higher figure it makes a start.

Yeah I had that the problem phoning round, phoned a few and they started with the sales patter sending round salemen to do quotes blah blah. One just didn't understand I can't send a rep round to house that I haven't even made an offer on!

I do know a guy (husband and wife business) who does repairs and custom work, so I'm trying get in touch with him to see if he's interested. Typically I've lost his number
Old 27 March 2012, 02:07 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Windows? Everyone knows apple make much bett.....Oh wait
Old 27 March 2012, 02:14 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
Windows? Everyone knows apple make much bett.....Oh wait

Google DIY double glazing, or similar. There are plenty of sites you can put the dimensions in to and it'll work out a price.

Last edited by ScoobyWon't; 27 March 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 27 March 2012, 02:36 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Indeed, even the likes of Wickes have quite an extensive range, would give you a rough price for the parts then add a bit on for fitting.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/windows/pvcu.../pcvuwinready/
Old 27 March 2012, 02:40 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Why not get aluminium framed windows? More expensive initially but far better looking with much slimmer sight-lines than UPVC. Furthermore, they will still look as good as they day they were installed in 5,10,20 years time.
Old 28 March 2012, 12:00 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

I can only give you a guide as to what i have paid recently. I use a local guy who fits Rehau frames and Pilkington K glass, so good quality stuff.

3 Bed Semi - £3900 including french patio doors and front door in Brown (white is cheaper)

3 Bed Edwardian - 7 Windows (roughly 800mm x 1800mm in white) £1100

These prices are fitted.

You have really got to be careful with windows. The house above that was done for £3900, Safestyle quoted £18k for but then dropped the price to £9k, then £4.5k! Crap frames from them aswell.
Old 28 March 2012, 12:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers.

I will be after the quality stuff...the windows will have to be flush-closing (so opening windows look identical to the fixed ones) with curved bevel beading around the glass. Which is the current style anyway. They are already pretty chunky frames anyway, presumably due to their tall size. Im pretty confident that we can get uPVC with almost identical proportions. As whats around nowadays is nothing like the chunky crap from the likes of safestyle.

You've also just reminded me to ask what kind of glazing is currently fitted in the house too, If they aren't thermally rated glass units then thats another reason to bin them and justify a lower price offer.

The deeper I scratch, the more niggling issues I find with this house...granted they've spent alot of money and done alot of work to a high standard, but they cheaped-out on some stuff. And it annoys the hell out of me when someone goes 80% of the way there to make it perfect only to cut corners on the last 20%...things like built in kitchen appliances....all Zanussi. Seriously? If you saw how nice/expensive this kitchen is you'd be wondering why too.

Same with the heating...new period effect (re: expensive) cast radiators upstairs, underfloor heating downstairs, new pipes, tank etc....and a Potterton boiler....FFS!

They've also not put in any stale air extraction in anywhere, be it kitchen, bathroom or toilets etc. Again a beautiful bathroom and no form of ventilation!?! I used to work in HVAC and do suffer asthma from allergies associated with stale air. So know there's good reason why Part F building regs were put into place, and I'm wondering why they have ignored it and common sense...and what else they (or their builders) have ignored or forgotten too...

This one could get expensive..I started off with replacing the windows, now I'm looking at replacing fitted appliances, potential new boiler, and ventilaton upgrades to conform to part F building regs.....and now I'm thinking what else is there?
Old 28 March 2012, 01:11 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Thing is if you were doing a place up to sell then you probably wouldn't go with the highest spec stuff.

Our 3 bed semi would not be as high end if I planned to sell on in a few years, after we had the extension done for the kitchen it got Seimens and Bosch appliances, granite worktops, natural stone and solid oak flooring, woodburner, etc. There's no way we'd get a return on that stuff in the current market although it would make the place more saleable. We did it for us as we are keen cooks and wanted the best stuff we could afford.
Old 28 March 2012, 02:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I doubt it was done up to sell as they lived in it for ten years and "done up" about six years ago. This is not the all magnolia and "off the pallet" Wickes white bathroom packs 'tart up to sell' jobbies, I've seen plenty of them and they stick out like a sore thumb; If it was one of them I'd just gut it and start again (obviously offering a price reflecting that). This house isn't like that, I think it was refurbished to live in as a home, and it shows (mostly in a good way) with stuff being done with a higher end budget in mind. However its being sold on the basis that nothing needs spending on it except a "lick of paint here and there" on the windows. I'm now finding more and more niggles that will eat into my budget.

Maybe the original dishwasher and fridge/freezer failed and they replaced it with Zanussi, so I can let them off with the integrated appliances as its not too hard or labour intensive to sort out. As is the boiler (assuming the rest of the plumbing is sound...cast designer radiators and underfloor, so I bloody well hope so).

But the ventillation is inexcusable though, yes you can get away with it on a tarted-up 1970's Mucklow (mass produced) semi-detached, but not when you look at this place. I'll have to tear down ceilings and knock holes through walls to rectify it and to put in the required ductwork to at least bring it to Part F compliance (which is a bare minimum). Now I'm left wondering what else is there to do.

So even without the windows this could get expensive. Sorry, I'm just annoyed as I thought I found the right house.
Old 28 March 2012, 07:40 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Average them out at £200 a piece roughly and you won't go wrong (bay is 3 windows)
I picked 4 up today , 2 large ,1 x1mtr sq , 1x1.5 mtr x 1000
£580 with the vat