Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

serious question.. about car lighting law... (neons)

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2012, 11:34 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default serious question.. about car lighting law... (neons)

now.. if you don't have something serious to say.. don't say it... we've heard it all be for!!

Got pulled over on Wednesday night coming back from my Photography Course.

Police in a Panda car.. (Focus Estate)...

Plod got out to tell me it's illegal to drive with neons on.

I told him it's a street legal kit (LED not NEON). That has White at the front, Red to the back and Amber on the sides.

He still said it's illegal to have neons on the road and ask me if it had a switch to turn them off.

As it was late I couldn't be bother explaining the difference in Neon and LED and the law on showing correct colours on the Front/back/side of a car, so I turn them off.

Can someone give me a 'LAW' link so I can print a copy of the lighting regulation off.. ready for next time.

I did write to the ministry of transport a few years ago asking and they said as long as a blue (flashing) light wasn't on show at the front (looking like a police car) & RED wasn't being shown to the front, there was no law on it and the law was very cagey.
Old 10 March 2012, 12:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Been told recently that BLUE is a no-no on anything but emergency vehicles, whether steady or flashing. That was at a VOSA stop, and I was told by a Traffic Officer, (mine had blue sidelights, now removed).

The LED thing is a minefield, I can see them having to RE-think the legislation.

AFAIK, since lighting regs date back to the origin of cars and bikes, and LEDs weren't around then, NO LED is actually legal for a compulsary light

That was certainly the case ten years ago. The new red LED lights for bikes contained instructions to fit a standard light too, which must also be in use

But as for non-compulsary lights, I'm not sure.

You DO see lorries on the roads lit up like Christmas trees.......
Old 10 March 2012, 12:18 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking at repositioning side repeater on a car and asked DFt for a link to the lighting regulations.

They sent me a link to Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989. Everything you need to know will be here....

CLICKY
Old 10 March 2012, 12:19 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salsa-king
now.. if you don't have something serious to say.. don't say it... we've heard it all be for!!

I told him it's a street legal kit (LED not NEON). That has White at the front, Red to the back and Amber on the sides.

He still said it's illegal to have neons on the road and ask me if it had a switch to turn them off.

As it was late I couldn't be bother explaining the difference in Neon and LED and the law on showing correct colours on the Front/back/side of a car, so I turn them off.

Can someone give me a 'LAW' link so I can print a copy of the lighting regulation off.. ready for next time.

I did write to the ministry of transport a few years ago asking and they said as long as a blue (flashing) light wasn't on show at the front (looking like a police car) & RED wasn't being shown to the front, there was no law on it and the law was very cagey.
what do you mean by neons?
under car lights or led bulbs in headlights/tail lights?
Old 10 March 2012, 12:32 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salsa-king

Have they got nowt better to do Farmhouse up the track from us, alarm was going off. As I knew he was away, phoned the law. They never turned up yet. Probably pulling you for your lights
Old 10 March 2012, 12:38 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about undercar / neon / LED's , your post isn't very clear LOL

Shaun
Old 10 March 2012, 12:45 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LIGHTING
Q. Is it legal to fit neon strip lights under car, down the sides and at the front and back?

A: Neon strip lights can be fitted provided they comply with the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989, i.e. they should have white to the front, white or amber to the sides, and red to the rear. They would have to be independently switched and fitted so as not to cause any undue dazzle or discomfort to other road users.

Q: Can I fit neon lights to inside of car?

A: Answer virtually the same as above if the lights can be seen from the outside of the vehicle. If they are any other colour they must not be visible from the outside and must not cause undue dazzle or discomfort to road users. If due to their position or intensity they effect the drivers ability to drive safely then there is the possiblility of an offence under the Road Traffic Act 1988 sec 40a. This refers to causing danger to road users.
Old 10 March 2012, 07:59 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
what do you mean by neons?
under car lights or led bulbs in headlights/tail lights?
same as this....

But it has the setting to put WHITE at the Front.. RED to the Back and AMBER on the sides.

Last edited by salsa-king; 10 March 2012 at 08:00 PM.