First pet 'for' Toddler advice

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2012, 01:09 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First pet 'for' Toddler advice

Hi,

never had a pet but thinking it'd be nice for my 15 month old daughter to see (if not touch) a pet - something like a bird etc?

I am a bit of a clean freak which obviously doesn't agree with keeping pets sometimes so ideally after something that won't **** and **** everywhere. Also would prefer something that can possibly be left alone for 5-6 hours a day whilst we are at work?? either free or caged.

My wife is pregnant again and I believe that keeping birds around expectant mothers is bad?? Or is that only when in contact with bird ****?

Any recommendations etc?

I'm a caring person so the pet will be well looked after - no danger of neglect etc, just want to hear from the masses what they recommend

Jai
Old 04 March 2012, 01:14 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cat
Old 04 March 2012, 01:31 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Toddler a bit young for cats and dogs as they tend to pull them about and treat them like toys, same for small mammals such as gerbils unless you keep them caged 24/7. Cat or a dog and easily lash out in fear which is not fair or the pet or child.

Goldfish?
Old 04 March 2012, 01:34 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Cat
Got a bad experience of going into my dad's rented property and the previous tenants letting the cat **** everywhere - stank to high heaven!!
Old 04 March 2012, 01:34 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Personally, I don't think you be looking to get a pet at all, if you have issues with cleanliness, your daughter is only 15 months old, and your wife is pregnant again. I mean that in a caring way, if it hasn't come across as such.

However, if you are set on it, a guinea pig is small enough to handle, they can be caged, and they are great little characters.
Old 04 March 2012, 01:35 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Zohan
Toddler a bit young for cats and dogs as they tend to pull them about and treat them like toys, same for small mammals such as gerbils unless you keep them caged 24/7. Cat or a dog and easily lash out in fear which is not fair or the pet or child.

Goldfish?
Didn't consider fish mate - that's not a bad idea I presume for goldfish a bowl with water is enough? Or would I need to **** around with expensive tanks etc?
Old 04 March 2012, 01:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SinghSuperStud
Didn't consider fish mate - that's not a bad idea I presume for goldfish a bowl with water is enough? Or would I need to **** around with expensive tanks etc?
I am pretty sure it is just water they need although you can add a few bits coloured gravel and a ornament type thing dependant on the size of the bowl. to liven it up, you do not need the airiation(sp?) stuff. They are pretty easy to look after and kids love 'em

Have look on you local gumtree for a cheap tank local to you or try a pet store, smaller ones are not expensive.
Old 04 March 2012, 01:41 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Zohan
I am pretty sure it is just water they need although you can add a few bits coloured gravel and a ornament type thing dependant on the size of the bowl. to liven it up, you do not need the airiation(sp?) stuff. They are pretty easy to look after and kids love 'em

Have look on you local gumtree for a cheap tank local to you or try a pet store, smaller ones are not expensive.
Sounds like a plan Shame there's nothing she would be ok to 'interact' with - see it running/ flying etc? I think that's what I was ultimately after. Fish are good but all you can do is look at them
Old 04 March 2012, 02:49 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Very nice idea of yours but a bit unrealistic? Any toddler worth her salt is going to want to poke an eye or pull an ear and that is asking for a nip - Guinea Pigs, for example, have quite sharp teeth and do have a tolerance level

Under supervision a Guinea Pig would be happy to snooze on your kid's lap and be stroked but will still leave "pellets" on the blanket. You are going to have to get a bit more tolerant about nature

Why don't you leave it for a while and take her to a local farm with a kid's area where they are bound to have some lambs and animals to touch and poke - just keep her hands washed afterwards.

Or a stuffed lion?

Final Tip.If you do get a small animal then choose one that is instantly replaceable so that is can quickly be changed if the worst happens to avoid floods of tears. I had a terrible time trying to find a look-alike for a multi-coloured Guinea Pig that pegged it after two days

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 04 March 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04 March 2012, 02:56 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Which reminds me of that rather sweet story of the little girl whose goldfish kept dieing. Eventually mum found a damp patch on the child's pillow and her daughter told her that before she went to sleep every night she took her goldfish out of its tank for a cuddle. Aaagh

dl
Old 04 March 2012, 03:08 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our back garden is a veritable graveyard of pets..........how about periodic visits to local pet shop or pets at home for a look / petting and then keep soft toys at home.

You will end up looking after them whether the kids are 15 months of 15 years LOL

Shaun
Old 04 March 2012, 03:16 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I remember some years ago I came home from hospital after an op to find Hammy the hamster had died. The kids were crying and wanted me to bury him in the garden in a shoebox. So there I was feeling crap, in my dressing gown, stiches in ,digging a bloody hole to bury a hamster. The things you do for your kids eh.

Chip
Old 04 March 2012, 03:55 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
I remember some years ago I came home from hospital after an op to find Hammy the hamster had died. The kids were crying and wanted me to bury him in the garden in a shoebox. So there I was feeling crap, in my dressing gown, stiches in ,digging a bloody hole to bury a hamster. The things you do for your kids eh.

Chip
Well at least that's the right way around

d
Old 04 March 2012, 03:58 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Well at least that's the right way around

d
I suppose so even though it didn't feel like it at the time

Chip
Old 04 March 2012, 06:06 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Degu?
Old 04 March 2012, 06:32 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Fully grown adult Komodo Dragon?

Fish in a sturdy tank would be my serious suggestion.
Old 04 March 2012, 08:12 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a cat and a dog, both of which are fine with my two children..

Just don't leave an animal alone with the child ..
Old 04 March 2012, 08:21 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Fish right ball ache when you have to clean em. Suppose a bowl wouldn't be hard.

We got a border terrier and apart from first few weeks poopoo on the floor he soon learnt and I wouldnt give him up for anything never bitten anybody and my little girl who's now 3 plays with him everyday, we got him when she was 15 months too.

Don't forget if you do buy a dog it will be at least 8 weeks old and will grow with your daughter, you also get excercise having to walk him and they show love back

Cats I personally wouldn't waste my time some are nice but most are just lazy food eaters
Old 04 March 2012, 08:47 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

too young imo

plenty zoo visits, or local farm/zoo places

then a pet when a bit older, just my 2p
Old 04 March 2012, 10:57 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Buy one of those battery operated pet dogs from the gadget shop. They toddle around, dont bite, are fun, and dont leave a mess or need fed (apart from the odd set of batteries).
I would say from reading above that you are not really ready for a pet , and its just going to be something else to look after, at a time when you dont need the complication.
Then what happens when you go on holiday?

I would leave it until your kids are a few years old and probably go with a cat or dog then.
Old 04 March 2012, 11:00 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a lion?
Old 04 March 2012, 11:05 PM
Adam-M
Scooby Regular

I found Guinnea pigs boring, rabbits boring, cats boring. What i did find though was my love for Ferrets/pole cats. Very intelligent animals and low maintainance, i ain't a toddler though mate and would struggle to recommend a pet with razor teeth to one either lol

Chances are if you got a fish or bird your kid would want it out of the cage/tank all of the time.
Old 05 March 2012, 01:08 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
a lion?

Originally Posted by Beastie
Buy one of those battery operated pet dogs from the gadget shop. They toddle around, dont bite, are fun, and dont leave a mess or need fed (apart from the odd set of batteries).
I would say from reading above that you are not really ready for a pet , and its just going to be something else to look after, at a time when you dont need the complication.

I would leave it until your kids are a few years old and probably go with a cat or dog then.
+1

That's what I did. My kids had musical and motorised toys for a good while before we added an animal to our family. We got our first ever kitten when my son was 6 and my daughter was 2. By then, both brother and sister were equipped with the sense that pulling cat's tail or her ears means inviting her to scratch you. Kitten was also in the know that if she misbehaved, my kids would kick her butt as they had bigger bodies then hers. We later added personalised fish and hamsters to their animal collection as well.

Note of advice: I don't know if you get them these days, but don't get a furby. I got one from my daughter when she was 5 or 6, I think. It was such an annoying thing that my daughter had to chuck it out of her window. It went silent so we brought it back in. But one day, it decided to speak again. We had to give it away to Oxfam where it drove the volunteers mad.
Old 05 March 2012, 05:22 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Ahhhh Furby , i remember them, we had one too. In fact must go expolre my daughters room , we might still have it You are right it was extremely annoying

Last edited by Beastie; 05 March 2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05 March 2012, 06:59 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beastie

OP needs to leave it alone for 5-6 hours when at work. Hardly ideal for a dog.
Old 05 March 2012, 09:32 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by SiPie
OP needs to leave it alone for 5-6 hours when at work. Hardly ideal for a dog.
Your right. Hadnt thought that bit through.

I was steering to the battery operated variety .....
Old 05 March 2012, 12:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

A cat is certainly the easiest of creatures to leave to its own devices during the day. They can look after themselves if your baby is a bit rough with it initially. As long as they have a cat tray and also a cat flap, they can look after themselves quite easily when left alone.

Sometimes kittens like a bit of a playfight as they are growing up so you would have to watch for that initially. They grow out of it eventually.

Another advantage is that it is a small creature which might be better for your child.

Les