Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

In the window fitting/supply game?

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2012, 11:33 AM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default In the window fitting/supply game?

I'm trying to find out if new build houses in England/Wales should have 'easy clean' hinges fitted to the windows. I know Scotland have too.
The reason I ask is that some of my windows have them fitted, some don't and some have one of each Now the house builder is great and I know they'll sort it if needed but I don't want to embarrass myself, by moaning they've not been fitted, if they haven't GOT to fit them! Its a 3 storey house so having them would be a great help!

My last house was new too. The house builder was that tight they wouldn't fit ANYTHING if it wasn't needed, but that had them!
Old 23 February 2012, 05:58 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU
I'm trying to find out if new build houses in England/Wales should have 'easy clean' hinges fitted to the windows. I know Scotland have too.
The reason I ask is that some of my windows have them fitted, some don't and some have one of each Now the house builder is great and I know they'll sort it if needed but I don't want to embarrass myself, by moaning they've not been fitted, if they haven't GOT to fit them! Its a 3 storey house so having them would be a great help!

My last house was new too. The house builder was that tight they wouldn't fit ANYTHING if it wasn't needed, but that had them!
Think you might be confused with egress 90 degree friction stays these are a requirement for certain circumstances to effect escape from fire and can depend on the layout of the house as to where they are use but general are a requirement for at least one first floor window

this is the relevant legislation B1 section 2 paragraph 2.8
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...AD_B_v1_wm.pdf

if you can make sense of that lot i might give you a job Lol

Last edited by mattstant; 23 February 2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 23 February 2012, 06:44 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattstant
Think you might be confused with egress 90 degree friction stays these are a requirement for certain circumstances to effect escape from fire and can depend on the layout of the house as to where they are use but general are a requirement for at least one first floor window

this is the relevant legislation B1 section 2 paragraph 2.8
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...AD_B_v1_wm.pdf

if you can make sense of that lot i might give you a job Lol
No not getting mixed up, although the concept is the same and I think 'easy clean' hinges can be used as an egress hinge. I had to deal with all those regs when doing a loft conversion in my old house. Was mind blowing to say the least, than there were fire doors and door closers to add into the equation I had a decent building control officer who told me what I needed and where.....

My new house is a 3 storey jobby so those hinges would be benefical. I just find it funny some have them and some don't........ I'll suss out the site manager and take a look at the show home tomorrow. I'm pretty sure they should be fitted........

Last edited by BLU; 23 February 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 23 February 2012, 06:57 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Tried trawling the net and can't find a definitive answer but did come across this on a major window suppliers site

Building regulations stipulate that all first floor and above habitable rooms are fitted with an adequate fire escape. Windows can also be fitted with fire escape hinges (Egress) to provide quick effective and secure fire escapes. Some examples are given below...
If the above is true then six of our windows are in breach of this regulation, four bedroom windows and two living room (which is on 1st floor!)
Stupid thing is two of the windows that have them fitted are bathrooms
Old 23 February 2012, 08:27 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

I'm 99.9% sure they are not req'd mate. As mentioned above, at least one opening should be a fire escape tho.
Old 23 February 2012, 08:46 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

BUILDING REGULATIONS B1 - Fire safety
  • For a typical Domestic Dwelling (storeys not more than 4.5 Metres above ground level) Approved Document B Requires that all Habitable Rooms (living rooms & bedrooms but not bathrooms or kitchens) on and above the First Floor must be provided with Emergency Egress (escape).
  • In addition, rooms at Ground Floor level whose' only Fire Escape is via another room are also required to be provided with suitable Escape Windows.
  • This means an External Door (above ground floor) or Window that Complies with the Specification contained at 2.11 of the Document: Any window provided for emergency egress purposes and any external door provided for escape should comply with the following condition;
  • The window should have an unobstructed openable area that is at least 0.33 Metres Square and at least 450mm high and 450mm wide. The bottom of the openable area should be not more than 1100mm above the floor.
  • In practise this is achieved by fitting an Egress Brand Fire Escape Hinge to a Designated Casement Opening in each Habitable Room on & above the First Floor.
All windows to habitable rooms (but not kitchens, utility rooms, dressing rooms, bathrooms, W.C.s or shower rooms) at floors above ground level are required to be suitable for escape in the event of a fire. In addition, rooms at ground floor level whose only escape route is via another room must be provided with suitable escape windows.
A suitable escape window is defined as ‘a window whose unobstructed openable area is at least 0.33m2 and at least 450mm high and 450mm wide (a 450mm wide opening will need to be 735mm high). The bottom of the openable area should be no more than 1100mm above
the floor. Any key required to open the window should be readily available.

Last edited by Dedrater; 23 February 2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 23 February 2012, 09:02 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
That there seems to answer my question. Do you have a link from where you got that from please
Old 23 February 2012, 10:05 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

I'm lost, that just talks about fire openings??
Old 23 February 2012, 10:09 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by super_ted
I'm lost, that just talks about fire openings??
It does, the 'easy clean' hinge and the 'egress hinge' are the same thing. Both allow the window to swing open 90 degrees!