Anyone Been To Maderia?

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2012, 10:24 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Been To Maderia?

Morning All

Looking to go somewhere different this year with the Mrs. Anybody been to Maderia?.

Looking to go around May/June.

Whats there to do there other than the beaches. The Mrs likes shopping and seeing sights and i am happy on the beach or doing outdoor stuff.
Old 10 February 2012, 10:55 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Me and the mrs went there for our honeymoon.

Ill get the bad bits out of the way first!

There arent any beaches to speak of as its rocky and volcanic, its a haven for the oldys (when we were there i think we were the youngest by a few decades!), we had a couple of bad customer service experiences due to the firey portuguese temprement.

But, its a really nice place!

I can highly reconmend hiring a car for a day or two and buzzing around the island seeing the sites! From Funchal theres some cool sights north in the mountains (as long as you dont mind heights) and the roads are perfect for spanking a hired 1.0 yaris around.

The town of Funchal is nice and theres a cable car up to a garden at the top of the town, but the best bit is coming down on sled type things.

Theres an old pirate ship type thing thats a good day out too.

All in all, nice place .... but probably doesnt need more than a week!
Old 10 February 2012, 11:03 AM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

ok thanks for that, some useful info. i am only 31 so hopefully not too young to go. does look a nice place so will see what i can sort.

cheers
Old 10 February 2012, 11:08 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

We went about 10 years ago. Agree with the remarks about the beaches, not really the best. We did go up into the hills/mountains on a lavada walk. We went with a group from the hotel but would like to have tried it on our own or with a specialized group on some of the higher ones really. Overall a nice enough place.
Old 10 February 2012, 11:09 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

cake .....mmmmmm
Old 10 February 2012, 11:43 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
cake .....mmmmmm
and wine....

I went quite a few years ago with my parents, I know but I was at a loose end and the offer of a holiday I didn't have to arrange myself was tempting....

As mentioned no beaches to speak of but the do make the most of the rocky bits but building in some salt water pools that you can swim in.

Beautiful island and very mountainous, we ended up hiring a car to do some more off the beaten track type sight seeing. Great fun on the twisty roads but the locals all drive like loonies Great place to go if you like the outdoors as there is plenty of walking opportunities.

We also had a day out to an island which I think was called Porto Santo? This did have sandy beaches and a proper cone shaped volcano in the middle of it. Was a nice trip but the ferry does take a hour or so each way.
Old 10 February 2012, 12:05 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I went as a youngster with my parents and can 2nd the trip down the mountain on the sleighs. Tourist trips seem to head for the mountains as not a lot at the coast to do. It is also quieter (from what I remember) than the usual med/canary islands so less 18-30 types on the journey out and back and when you get there which is always a relief.

Trending Topics

Old 10 February 2012, 02:00 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say it had an "interesting" airport with respect to landing there when we went. Pretty much a case of dump the plane on the deck as quickly as you can then full reverse thrust + brakes so you don't fall off the end. Remember looking out of the window on the approach and thinking that's not a runway it's a supermarket car park

Unfortunately it sounds like it's been extended now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeira_Airport

Last edited by Coffin Dodger; 10 February 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10 February 2012, 02:30 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

Looks interesting, the Mrs will love that runway then
Old 10 February 2012, 02:40 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went there on a ship whilst in the RN. It was okay, but definately blue-rinse brigade. I seem to remember it being very quiet at night, some nice pubs and returants though. Oh, and rocky with no beaches lol
Old 10 February 2012, 09:01 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Forgot to say it had an "interesting" airport with respect to landing there when we went. Pretty much a case of dump the plane on the deck as quickly as you can then full reverse thrust + brakes so you don't fall off the end. Remember looking out of the window on the approach and thinking that's not a runway it's a supermarket car park

Unfortunately it sounds like it's been extended now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeira_Airport
I remember my Mum looking out the window of the plane and going "I wouldn't fancy landing on that small runway down there" just before the plane banked round to start it's approach A cliff at each end and i've never been on a plane that made as much noise with full reverse thrust on as that one did. It then leaves you wondering for the rst of your holiday what the take off will be like.
Old 10 February 2012, 09:18 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Me and the wife spent our honeymoon there 7 years ago at the age of 24... that said, we wanted something relaxing, not a beach and no clubs. Madeira was perfect.

Very polite locals. Full of old people, so not noisey but not exciting either.

If you go you have to:

Get the cable car up from Funchal
Get the wicker death trap tabogon back
Visit nuns valley
Try not to die in the Taxi to/from the airport on the motorway
Drink copious amounts of Poncha
Try Scabbard fish. Google it.... they look like they want to f**k you up, but its the most amazing tasting fish i've ever tried - and only availble in two places in the world, Madeira and Japan.
Old 10 February 2012, 09:19 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Oh and the take-off from the airport back then is the sole reason for me being scared of flying.
Old 10 February 2012, 10:13 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Lol @ 'other than beaches!'
Old 10 February 2012, 10:36 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Ali and I went last year. We are mid 40s. Loved it.
Deffo do Funchal. Cable car to the gardens and toboggan ride back down. Awesome.
We found some amazing restaurants. I'll dig out some info and post when I can.
Old 11 February 2012, 12:27 AM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

If you do need a day on the beach, you'll have to head west along the coast from Funchal to Calheta, its the only place with normal sand and thats only because it was imported from Morocco. There are a few beaches on the northern side of the island, but they're black sand. The rest is rocky mountain stuff.

Hire a car and explore. Drive up to Nun's valley and if you want a bit of remoteness, stay here for a couple of nights: http://www.eiradoserrado.com/
Seriously good value hotel and a stunning place, this was the view from our balcony
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...591_1299_n.jpg

Food is good, i found the people friendly enough (apart from the taxi drivers trying to mug you for day trips when leaving the hotel in Funchal) but its a lovely island if you don't want the normal Med touristy thing.

Originally Posted by TinyTim
Oh and the take-off from the airport back then is the sole reason for me being scared of flying.
Yep! Shake, rattle and get rolling quick! Our pilot told us not to worry about the strange noises coming from the plane, it was one of the few airports in the world that required a 100% throttle take-off!
Old 13 February 2012, 07:58 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Steve, that hotel looks epic ..... nice!

And definately hire a car, think its one of those places where seeing stuff for yourself and getting away from the crowds envolved in coach trips is the only way to go!

The view down into the nuns valley and the summit with the big ball telescope on are definately two places to see.
Old 13 February 2012, 08:56 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic, only place we have returned to, and been 4 times. Last time a bit off putting as went in May and weather was awful and delayed 36 hours returning as was too windy for the plane aproaching to land, then we got diverted on the plane home the next day because of ash. Weather in winter is not the same as the Canaries.

Levada walks are fun. Hotels can be great.
Old 13 February 2012, 11:54 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

We went back in 2001 for NYE - well 2 weeks, xmas and NYE.
Was brilliant, we dont like pubs / clubs / madness so it was a nice relaxing holiday. We always try and get away for NYE and we have done lots of trips but Maderia was special because they had a great fireworks display but also because the locals were so nice. The hotel took us up on a bus to the local hillside and about 30-40 locals came out with bottles of wine, food etc. Great trip and we keep meaning to book it again but always end up being side tracked.

Only thing to watch is due to the layout of the airport sometimes flights are diverted to other islands due to weather.
Old 13 February 2012, 12:26 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

Mixed reports then, love the look of the scenery. Probably end up going. Thanks for the help guys. Looking forward to an interesting landing