Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Head/Brickwall: advice for my Wife's job search (experience)

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2012, 11:24 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Head/Brickwall: advice for my Wife's job search (experience)

Any recruiters out there? I mentioned my Wife's job-search before on here and got some good advice about getting additional experience.

However, brain-pick/advice required!!!!

Bit of background (again)- my wife has re-trained to move into NVQ assessing in Health & Social Care.
17yrs of NHS/private experience + NVQ3 quals, A1 assessors award and PTTLS (teaching qual)
She's still working full-time in the Nursing private sector.
However, she's fully aware that no companies will really look at her until she's got assessing experience behind her...... a chicken/egg situation.
So, she's pro-actively contacted some training centres and managed to take on (for free and in all fairness, at her own expense - travel) a few students.... just to gain the experience.

She had an interview on Monday, and basically she didn't get it due to her lack of student-experience.

She's a bit confused as to how she can possibly do any more, as she works full-time, and has done all she can (or so we think) to gain the experience with candidates......

Any suggestions on what else she can do? Is there a "trick" she's missing?

The one thing that sprung to my mind, and tbh, I don't like it as we're both people of integrity, is to embellish her CV with more experience (her one reference has eluded to this fact anyway).....
Is this an acceptable practice? I can't believe it is though!

Suggestions?

She is emailing the company back, thanking them for their time and the opportunity, and is going to ask them what she can do in order to be considered for any future positions within the company.

Any advice would be fabbo.

Dan
Old 11 January 2012, 12:04 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Lie.
Old 11 January 2012, 12:54 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Well one can often "massage" a CV without lying.

But how is she gaining her current experience you mention if she is working full time?

Could she work say 4 days a week and try and get an unpaid one day a week position with one of these assessing groups? It will be a financial hit of course but she will gain experience and have an "in" into contacts and what goes on.

And of course just keep trying as she WILL get the break she deserves.

atb, David
Old 11 January 2012, 01:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

With all her practical experience, I can't see why she would need any special training at assessing others anyway. She will know the job backwards and assessments are only there to state how well a person is doing the job anyway.

I had to assess people in their piloting and operational abilities without any training and found it really was only a matter of common sense as you look at the way the person is doing the job.

Les
Old 11 January 2012, 01:28 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
But how is she gaining her current experience you mention if she is working full time?
She currently works shifts, so a regular day doesn't happen. She works a diary with the students and fits them in when she can - this sometimes involves going out during the evening to assess (we're in the countryside, so 60mins travel round trip is required as well).
IMHO, I think it's fair to say that she's doing what she can in addition to her full-time job and a tiny bit of family life.

Thanks Leslie - tbh, that's partially my thought: she knows the subject material inside out. I *think* the issue is that most training providers dump case-loads of students onto assessors (usually upwards of 40), and the assessor self-manages their diary.
My assumption is that (in this case) the training provider wasn't prepared to run the risk of, in their eyes, an assessor who is unproven in dealing with large cohorts.
My argument is that an existing assessor could leave in the meantime, (if they're worried about dedication etc) and still lumber them with students that need assessing. So, it's pointless worrying about an unproven aspect.

Frustrating for her too. AND the interview was on her birthday - she spent the day interviewing for something she really wanted. I'll make it up to her at the weekend, I think

So, whilst the "getting more experience" is rather difficult as she's pretty much running out of hours in the week (and most assessing centres won't give up candidates as it could put other assessors' jobs at risk), aside from pumping the CV, is there anything she can say in interview that would potentially convince employers?

Dan
Old 11 January 2012, 10:26 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Scopbydoo555,
I'm in training in the further education sector, and the **** has dropped out of the training industry, particularly NVQ's due to changes in government funding.

Employers depending on circumstances now have to stand the cost of training or have to make a contribution which many are reluctant to make especially in this recession.

Once training providers were screaming for NVQ assessors and were willing to train them. Not anymore, if training provider do take on it will be experienced assessors only I'm afraid.
Old 12 January 2012, 11:04 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

disappointing to here. I too work in FE, and didn't think it was that bad... but NVQ isn't a sector that I work in.

Thanks for the information.

The one thing I have picked up though is that if your CV doesn't look "right", then it can go heavily against you.
What is the current right look for a CV? Anybody got some examples so that I can compare to hers?
I'm also getting conflicting information about either having a specific CV for the position applied for, or a generic CV with a detailed covering letter outlining the pertinent aspects.

Both camps give the impression that they're correct!! Which is it?

Dan
Old 12 January 2012, 07:44 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

The government or skills funding agency are now reluctant to fund the assessment only and are now looking towards apprenticeships or other formal training where actual structured learning can be proven.
Your wife has already achieved PTLLS, so reinforce this with further qualifications and look towards teaching rather than assessing.
Old 12 January 2012, 07:57 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Interesting - have you got any links to this?
Would be very interested in having a good read!