Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Flat management company

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2012, 01:59 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat management company

I have a management company that looks after all aspects of the running of the block of flats where I live.

Now, when I bought the place we got one allocated parking bay per flat (unmarked on the space, but in the deeds).

The issue is, every night someone else is parking in my bay, and in true Victor Meldrew fashion I have been complaining and asking that numbers are painted.

So far, 12 months and nothing.

Last night my car was parked in a different bay due to the fact that my bay was being used by someone else. The problem being that some tosser has scuffed my front bumper.

Now I'm not naive enough to expect my management company to pay out or anything, but what exactly can I do to make them sort the parking bays out? If I choose to withold payments on maintenance charges, they'll get a ccj out against me I'd imagine.

Has anyone got any experience in dealing with management companies or am I pissing into a force 9 gale?
Old 10 January 2012, 02:17 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

In most blocks of flats, the management company is run for the tenants, more often than not, by the tenants. What that generally means is that they hold meetings etc and at these you can put your have your say as as a tenant, you will have a share of the company that runs it.

Dunno how it works for you, but that is how I've always known them. Nothing to stop you painting your own registration or flat number either. Plus a request maybe to the person(s) parking in your bay?
Old 10 January 2012, 02:57 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

I have threatened a few times to paint my own number or reg in the bay. I'm still waiting on a reply I have put to the management company.

You're correct, there are yearly meetings - normally about budgets, but I think I'll go along and stick my 10p worth in.

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
In most blocks of flats, the management company is run for the tenants, more often than not, by the tenants. What that generally means is that they hold meetings etc and at these you can put your have your say as as a tenant, you will have a share of the company that runs it.

Dunno how it works for you, but that is how I've always known them. Nothing to stop you painting your own registration or flat number either. Plus a request maybe to the person(s) parking in your bay?
Old 10 January 2012, 03:10 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

You could refer back to your lease and see what provisions are made. This may also help http://www.lease-advice.org/informat...q.asp?item=200
Old 10 January 2012, 04:01 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobeenut
You could refer back to your lease and see what provisions are made. This may also help http://www.lease-advice.org/informat...q.asp?item=200
Thanks for that, makes for interesting reading.

I'm still waiting on a reply from my management company. The seem to employ the Ostrich approach to problems.
Old 10 January 2012, 04:32 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Given the issues I've had with mine - and no residents association the force 9 gale springs to mind.

Scotland is bringing in laws to regulate these people. in the words of the OFT "one of the worst sectors for customer service"

5t.
Old 10 January 2012, 04:37 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Given the issues I've had with mine - and no residents association the force 9 gale springs to mind.

Scotland is bringing in laws to regulate these people. in the words of the OFT "one of the worst sectors for customer service"

5t.
Believe it or not, I've just had a phone call and my contact has apologies profusely. I'm meeting her and the contracter used for the painting at my property on Friday.

Doesnt repair my car, but at least its a step forward.
Old 10 January 2012, 04:40 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

I'd still mention the fact that your car's been damaged due to the fact that it wasn't parked where it should have been - you never know..
Old 10 January 2012, 04:57 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

That was in my email to them. I'd never get any kind of money from them for the repairs, I'd settle for them sorting the bays out once and for all.

I'll have to get chips away or someone similar in to have a look. Frustrating as its something I'd prefer not to pay out on, but no point crying over spilt milk.