Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Grumble @ Parkers : RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2012, 12:09 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Grumble @ Parkers : RESOLVED

Tried to get a car valuation last night on a nine year old car (52) plate on parkers.

Because I wanted mileage correction I paid for a 24hr subscription. And guess what? Their system thinks the car is over ten years old so won't do any mileage adjustment...waste of £3.49 OK, the car is a 2002, But its not ten years old until August 2012 (52 plate).

Their subscription page clearly says mileage correction is available on cars UNDER ten years old! Very misleading

Problem here is the car has silly-low mileage. Plugging the same data on a 03 plate car give me over £1000 difference between avarage milage (90,000) and its current mileage (40,000), so basically I'm still non the wiser of the car's value, because it a slightly newer car and I can't use it as bargaining leverage as its not like-for-like.

Bit late now anyway as I've just caved in and sold it, because without the print-out I've lost my bargaining chip.

Anyhoo, Ive fired off a letter/email of complaint (no phone numbers on the website )to see if they'll fix this or reply....not heard anything back barring the automated message......what's your bets I'll get a reply AFTER my 24hr subscription expires?

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 January 2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09 January 2012, 12:26 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Tried to get a car valuation last night on a nine year old car (52) plate on parkers.

Because I wanted mileage correction I paid for a 24hr subscription. And guess what? Their system thinks the car is over ten years old so won't do any mileage adjustment...waste of £3.49 OK, the car is a 2002, But its not ten years old until August 2012 (52 plate).

Their subscription page clearly says mileage correction is available on cars UNDER ten years old! Very misleading

Problem here is the car has silly-low mileage. Plugging the same data on a 03 plate car give me over £1000 difference between avarage milage (90,000) and its current mileage (40,000), so basically I'm still non the wiser of the car's value, because it a slightly newer car and I can't use it as bargaining leverage as its not like-for-like.

Bit late now anyway as I've just caved in and sold it, because without the print-out I've lost my bargaining chip.

Anyhoo, Ive fired off a letter/email of complaint (no phone numbers on the website )to see if they'll fix this or reply....not heard anything back barring the automated message......what's your bets I'll get a reply AFTER my 24hr subscription expires?
I just always look to see what other cars are going for and make an educated guess.
It's worth what it sells for!
Old 09 January 2012, 12:36 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Problem is not many 40,000 mile BMWs around these days on the 'trader so little to guide on (nothing on pistonheads, and bimmer forums are all over the place).

I have what I think is the right price in my head, but I needed a hard copy print out to slap infront of him and say "well thats what they say too".

Basically he wanted to pay 318 money for a 325. It didn't happen. But I think I shook on a deal thats left me out of pocket by at least £200, that parkers print-out could have got me a few extra notes.
Old 09 January 2012, 12:38 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

TBH I'd like to see a car with some use that has a service every year as opposed to 4 services in ten years. (Not suggesting your motor didn't have anything but a perfect service history)

Lack of use is almost as bad as over use when it comes to breaking bits so I'd agree with the above, price it in and around others. Never found Parkers to be that accurate anyway.

5t.
Old 09 January 2012, 12:41 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Glass`s guide is much better if you can get hold of one. It`s what traders etc. use...more accurate than Parkers.
Old 09 January 2012, 12:56 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Sure you can alter the mileage on the What Car website for free and I think their prices are a little more realistic than Parkers.
My Bug is a 2002, it's only done 32k miles (genuine - been in the family from new) that gets serviced every year following Subarus service schedule whether it needs it or not. It's just been a weekend car from new so it's always been used just not covered the miles a daily commuter would.
Old 09 January 2012, 01:52 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by fivetide
TBH I'd like to see a car with some use that has a service every year as opposed to 4 services in ten years. (Not suggesting your motor didn't have anything but a perfect service history)

Lack of use is almost as bad as over use when it comes to breaking bits so I'd agree with the above, price it in and around others. Never found Parkers to be that accurate anyway.

5t.
Thats the other bargaining chip. I'm pretty **** when it comes to keeping cars tip-top, and full well know the sludge issues on BMWs used for short distances and serviced whenever the dash says so.

Hence I change the oil every 12months on it regardless of the dash display (which can be up to two years!!) Always used BMW Longlife LL03 spec oil since new (Catsrol edge 0w-30, before that SLx 0w-30 ).

Have every single invoice.

I've replaced any suspension part as and when it started to lose feel/handling years before they start to knock or cause MOT concerns, as BMW rubber bushings don't age very well and go sloppy, but will rarely fail MOT despite being sloppier than a bucket of spew.

Thermostat (sticking open..common fault on M52s but often never noticed as the heater still works, another cause of sludge and poor mpg), MAF, Cam sensors, A/C recharged every 3-4 years. Coolant changed every 3-4 years, brake fluid every 2-3 years (depending on water content - I have a tester). Michelin tyres all-round, not some Korean/Indoniesian/Italian hedge finding shyte. Original bodywork bar rear bumper (repaired - perfect match).

Oddly the buyer wasn't interest in any of the above.

Thats why I had a job trying to convince him the differneces and the rest of the stuff on Autotrade: I know what shyte e46s drives like, and there are loads out there and I 'know' this one isn't:

As a comparison example my uncle recently bought a 320d Ci and it is a totally different drive...and not in a good way. Even though its a newer car (2006) and done 58,000miles my report after a test drive was:

The tyres don't grip in the wet (Falken)
The gearshift is like stirring lumpy porridge with rocks mixed in,
Clutch bite is at near the bottom of the pedal, and it judders (hence the gearbox baulking as its dragging and giving the syncros a hard time, causing extra shifter and syncro wear i.e porridge with bricks ).
Diff whine at low speed under light load up hill.
1" of extra brake pedal travel when compared to mine.
Handling is like a driving something with a front live axle...(front control arm bushings are f***ed).
It bounces in/out of potholes and starts to 'float' when at high speed, weaves under hard braking = Shocks are knackered.

To top it off it previously spent its life being maintained on a BMW 5yr service package ( http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/servicepa...b-RjMw,00.html ). I popped out the air filter to be nosey: I wish I had the photo of the state of the air filter...it had to be the original, and it looked like the contents of a full vacuum cleaner bag, probably the worst air filter I have ever seen from an alledged BMWFSH car. The oil on the dipstick didn't look much better (ok its a diesel, so it will be black, but that doesn't mean it should stink of it nor should it have the consistency of trecle!)

Suffice to say he's had to spend over £500 on it just after months of owning it: New n/s/f lower arm, new front arm rear bushings, new front shocks, full service, pads, brake fluid. And thats before the crank pulley fell off! (Damper rubber had broken up - BMW rubber is crap, remember ). Lucky I heard it and stopped him driving away, as it would have mullard the radiator too! And still after spending a load on it, the clutch is a ticking clock (down to how he uses it - holding it in gear at red lights etc).

So yeah, age/mileage doesn't mean everything. My car is worth less than his as its older, petrol, and not a coupe, but mine is the better buy.

However thats cars for you, and if the mileage correction print-out from a known source meant getting a extra few bob as leverage for my car then I'm going to use it to my best. Well, I would if I could.

I tried "what car" and it was like £5165 private That's waayy off. I was asking for £4400 with the aim to get £4000, I ended up shaking on £3800, my choice, and I'll live by it as I can't be arsed with this wheeling and dealing as I still have another two cars to get rid of (both are worthless sheds this time though)

Still heard nothing from Parkers. Oh well, I won't pay to use them again.

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 January 2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09 January 2012, 02:00 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I just checked What Car.

Reckons the 318i SE Touring I have to flog is worth £2250 as a trade in. I'm only looking for 2k for the thing hah!

5t.
Old 09 January 2012, 02:05 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ali, sorry for thread hijack, but could you dro me a PM as per my earlier one to you.
Cheers
Old 09 January 2012, 02:18 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

When I was using What Car I was looking at SUV's - suppose their prices are a little over inflated at the moment with the time of year and sellers using the last 2 winters as a selling point, so prices tallied up pretty well. So if they price like that across the board as you have said they will be a little optimistic
Old 09 January 2012, 05:32 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
Glass`s guide is much better if you can get hold of one. It`s what traders etc. use...more accurate than Parkers.
Parkers Price Guide was published by the same firm who published CAP Black Book. If you compared the two in many cases this months Parkers was last months CAP price.

CAP was better than Glass's too.

I realise that theyre no longer all in the same family, but it suggests that 'Parkers is crap' type remarks arent as informed as people think.
Old 09 January 2012, 05:58 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Parkers Price Guide was published by the same firm who published CAP Black Book. If you compared the two in many cases this months Parkers was last months CAP price.

CAP was better than Glass's too.

I realise that theyre no longer all in the same family, but it suggests that 'Parkers is crap' type remarks arent as informed as people think.
I remember that. Used to have copies of both. However the online ones seem to get criticised more as being a bit ott.

It might simply be that dealers are happy to have a pop at the online one because it makes their little book that much more valuable. that and makes it seem like they know something the punter doesn't (another useful bargaining chip!)

5t.
Old 09 January 2012, 07:06 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I thought you meant you had bought a copy from the newsagents and was using it for mastubation purposes, thought it was just me
Old 09 January 2012, 07:13 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Parkers is crap... Sorry but it it. Said my cavalier turbo in mint condition £600... Please show me one for that price!
Old 09 January 2012, 07:55 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
Parkers is crap... Sorry but it it. Said my cavalier turbo in mint condition £600... Please show me one for that price!
It is for commodity items, like basic Focuses and BMW diesels under ten years old, I suppose at one point your Cavalier fitted into that but now its come out of the other side and is now quite rare and enthusiasts who want one will pay far more than the bare valuation done from a database and a bit of logic based ont he criteria, dont take it personally, it isnt a person passing judgement on your motor saying its worthless.
Old 09 January 2012, 08:21 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

All guides are carp if you want to value angst look on auto trader and see what people are asking for them and then use some judgement.
Old 10 January 2012, 02:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Update: All sorted.

Had a human reply to my emails, agreed it wasn't right and mailed me a corrected valuation on a .pdf file

Bit late now, but it was a Sunday I suppose.
Old 10 January 2012, 05:12 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Good, better late than never.
Old 10 January 2012, 06:03 PM
Adam-M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Thats the other bargaining chip. I'm pretty **** when it comes to keeping cars tip-top, and full well know the sludge issues on BMWs used for short distances and serviced whenever the dash says so.

Hence I change the oil every 12months on it regardless of the dash display (which can be up to two years!!) Always used BMW Longlife LL03 spec oil since new (Catsrol edge 0w-30, before that SLx 0w-30 ).

Have every single invoice.

I've replaced any suspension part as and when it started to lose feel/handling years before they start to knock or cause MOT concerns, as BMW rubber bushings don't age very well and go sloppy, but will rarely fail MOT despite being sloppier than a bucket of spew.

Thermostat (sticking open..common fault on M52s but often never noticed as the heater still works, another cause of sludge and poor mpg), MAF, Cam sensors, A/C recharged every 3-4 years. Coolant changed every 3-4 years, brake fluid every 2-3 years (depending on water content - I have a tester). Michelin tyres all-round, not some Korean/Indoniesian/Italian hedge finding shyte. Original bodywork bar rear bumper (repaired - perfect match).

Oddly the buyer wasn't interest in any of the above.

Thats why I had a job trying to convince him the differneces and the rest of the stuff on Autotrade: I know what shyte e46s drives like, and there are loads out there and I 'know' this one isn't:

As a comparison example my uncle recently bought a 320d Ci and it is a totally different drive...and not in a good way. Even though its a newer car (2006) and done 58,000miles my report after a test drive was:

The tyres don't grip in the wet (Falken)
The gearshift is like stirring lumpy porridge with rocks mixed in,
Clutch bite is at near the bottom of the pedal, and it judders (hence the gearbox baulking as its dragging and giving the syncros a hard time, causing extra shifter and syncro wear i.e porridge with bricks ).
Diff whine at low speed under light load up hill.
1" of extra brake pedal travel when compared to mine.
Handling is like a driving something with a front live axle...(front control arm bushings are f***ed).
It bounces in/out of potholes and starts to 'float' when at high speed, weaves under hard braking = Shocks are knackered.

To top it off it previously spent its life being maintained on a BMW 5yr service package ( http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/servicepa...b-RjMw,00.html ). I popped out the air filter to be nosey: I wish I had the photo of the state of the air filter...it had to be the original, and it looked like the contents of a full vacuum cleaner bag, probably the worst air filter I have ever seen from an alledged BMWFSH car. The oil on the dipstick didn't look much better (ok its a diesel, so it will be black, but that doesn't mean it should stink of it nor should it have the consistency of trecle!)

Suffice to say he's had to spend over £500 on it just after months of owning it: New n/s/f lower arm, new front arm rear bushings, new front shocks, full service, pads, brake fluid. And thats before the crank pulley fell off! (Damper rubber had broken up - BMW rubber is crap, remember ). Lucky I heard it and stopped him driving away, as it would have mullard the radiator too! And still after spending a load on it, the clutch is a ticking clock (down to how he uses it - holding it in gear at red lights etc).

So yeah, age/mileage doesn't mean everything. My car is worth less than his as its older, petrol, and not a coupe, but mine is the better buy.

However thats cars for you, and if the mileage correction print-out from a known source meant getting a extra few bob as leverage for my car then I'm going to use it to my best. Well, I would if I could.

I tried "what car" and it was like £5165 private That's waayy off. I was asking for £4400 with the aim to get £4000, I ended up shaking on £3800, my choice, and I'll live by it as I can't be arsed with this wheeling and dealing as I still have another two cars to get rid of (both are worthless sheds this time though)

Still heard nothing from Parkers. Oh well, I won't pay to use them again.

Flipping eck mate i thought Vauxhalls where bad, German build quality?
Old 10 January 2012, 07:44 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

It a car! And all of them are prone to neglect from the owner: And thats down to the driver's mechanical sympathy: I don't ride the clutch at red lights/junctions and I don't bounce up and down curbs, nor do I force it into gear. And thats why you can get two BMWs that are worlds apart to drive.

Last edited by ALi-B; 10 January 2012 at 08:12 PM.