Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

PS3/DVD/TV connections

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2012, 08:19 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PS3/DVD/TV connections

Firsy I will start with, sorry mods if its in the wrong forum. Please move it if need be

So hi there folks

I have just bought a new 42" LED tv and in need of some info please.

I have a surround sound multi dvd player that needs to be connected to both the PS3 and the tv. The dvd player dosen't have hdmi But does have digital optical and the old style 3 plug (white, yellow, red) connection.
I would like to be able to getthe sound from the PS3 through the surround system.

What's the best way for me to do this please?

Thanks all that reply
Old 09 January 2012, 08:24 PM
the hamster
BANNED

does the tv have an optical out on it? if it does it will output any source to the dvd/surround.
Old 09 January 2012, 09:20 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

Originally Posted by EOEUMC
Firsy I will start with, sorry mods if its in the wrong forum. Please move it if need be

So hi there folks

I have just bought a new 42" LED tv and in need of some info please.

I have a surround sound multi dvd player that needs to be connected to both the PS3 and the tv. The dvd player dosen't have hdmi But does have digital optical and the old style 3 plug (white, yellow, red) connection.
I would like to be able to getthe sound from the PS3 through the surround system.

What's the best way for me to do this please?

Thanks all that reply
glad you've seen the light at last mate
Old 09 January 2012, 09:34 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Is there any point in keeping the DVD Player in there? Better to remove the DVD player as your ps3 iwill do blu ray and make things simpler
Old 09 January 2012, 09:58 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the hamster
does the tv have an optical out on it? if it does it will output any source to the dvd/surround.
There is an optical socket on the tv. But would like the surround sound system to work through both the tv and PS3. As it stands and has done for yonks, the PS3 don't play through the surround system.

Originally Posted by bootsy
glad you've seen the light at last mate
Can't afford it tbh Paul But it is greatly appreciated lol

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
Is there any point in keeping the DVD Player in there? Better to remove the DVD player as your ps3 iwill do blu ray and make things simpler
The dvd player is the surround sound system. Its a 5 disk one and would still like to use it occasionaly for music or the radio that it has in it also But want to use the surround from it.
Old 11 January 2012, 02:10 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Trid to watch a streemed film through the PS3 last night and the quality was absoloutly naff Very jerky and I couldn't watch it. Noticed that the football on Fifa 12 is very blurry sometimes and some faces are very pixelated.

Tried to use the original PS3 lead (with the 3 coloured pins one end) and can't seem to get that to work now either

Any help peeps will be very much appreciated
Old 11 January 2012, 02:34 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Just connect the PS3 optical out to your DVD/Surround sound.
http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...diooutput.html

Edit: To use both your tv and ps3 through the surround you could use an optical link from tv to surround and HDMI from ps3 to tv. Hopefully the tv will pass the sound from the hdmi through the optical to the surround.

Last edited by Saint AAI; 11 January 2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11 January 2012, 02:37 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Your DVD/surround probably has one or two pairs of red/white 'audio-in' connectors. All you should need to do is connect the red/white leads from your PS3 'AV Multi Out' lead to those (and the HDMI to the TV), and select the right input or mode on the DVD/surround to play back the sound.*

As for all the blurring and so on, it sounds like the HDMI lead might not be connected properly on your PS3 or TV, or one of the connectors is bad.

* this assumes that a PS3 will output sound and video to 2 different connectors simultaneously. I don't own one myself, so can't speak to the actual truth of this in practise.

Edit: if the DVD/surround has optical-IN, then far better to use that instead, as Saint AAI pointed out.

Last edited by markjmd; 11 January 2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11 January 2012, 09:55 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Originally Posted by Saint AAI
To use both your tv and ps3 through the surround you could use an optical link from tv to surround and HDMI from ps3 to tv. Hopefully the tv will pass the sound from the hdmi through the optical to the surround.
Correct, 1 optical cable from the tv to amp will work.

I take it you've got the ps3 connected via hdmi and have changed the video setting to support this?
Old 12 January 2012, 01:59 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

I have a red and white socket on the back of the dvd player but no yellow one. I have the one with the green blue and other colours (not sure what that set is for) It has a scart and optical too.

At present te optical cable is plugged in to the PS3. The scart is plugged in to the tv.

Have a major problem atm as the power cable to the sub is damaged and I am awaiting on a new one to be delivered
Old 12 January 2012, 04:59 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Are you saying you connect the ps3 to the tv with scart or the dvd player to the tv?

If the tv has an optical out, then use that to connect to the dvd/surround. Plug your dvd/surround into the tv with the scart. Then use hdmi for ps3 to tv. Then what ever comes out of the tv will go through the optical to the surround.

Or another way would be to buy a component cable for the ps3. Take the 3 video signals to the component in on the tv and the red and white audio to the surround.

Also as you have a crap picture from the ps3, it sounds like you have the wrong settings for that. If your not to sure on where to find the settings, then turn the ps3 off, make sure the hdmi cable is plugged into the ps3 and the tv properly. Put the tv on the correct channel and turn on the ps3 but keep your finger on the power button until you here it been again (a few seconds after the power on beep). Then release, this will reset the video settings and it should come up and detect the hdmi and ask you if you want to use it, then detect the resolution.

Not sure if this vid is any good as I don't have sound on my pc at work, but may help explain the video settings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt5oL...eature=related

Last edited by Saint AAI; 12 January 2012 at 05:14 PM.