Untethered Jailbreak 5.0.1

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2011, 10:03 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Untethered Jailbreak 5.0.1

Is finally here, http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=18988

Although still not for iPad 2 or iPhone 4S.

Steve
Old 27 December 2011, 10:28 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Cheers Steve, been waiting for this. Only want it for sbsettings and wifi hotspot tethering.
Old 27 December 2011, 10:44 PM
subevo
Scooby Regular

Can anyone explain this to a newbie!
Just bought a secondhand 3GS with io5.
What does jail breaking do?
Is it worth it?
Old 27 December 2011, 11:00 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Jailbreaking allows you to install things that Apple do not want you to: Like Winterboard to have more control over the way that the phone looks or wifi hotspot tethering as mentioned above.

It does also allow you to install illegal applications.
Old 27 December 2011, 11:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

The downside is your opening your phone to malicious software and you'll forever be waiting for a jailbreak before you can update.
Old 27 December 2011, 11:12 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Never felt the need to jailbreak but I guess if you don't know what you're missing...
Old 27 December 2011, 11:12 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Did it this morning! Welcome back sbsettings
Old 28 December 2011, 12:51 AM
jimmyinrugby
BANNED

I have an iPhone 4s....I am still not understanding this "tethering"....Am I correct in saying if I am wherever with my lappy I can connect the iPhone to the lappy and use it's 3g ?....If so what is the difference with using a dongle?...Cheers
Old 28 December 2011, 01:32 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
The downside is your opening your phone to malicious software and you'll forever be waiting for a jailbreak before you can update.

People who jailbreak don't update and where are all the threads of people saying they had malicious software on thier phone due to a jailbreak??
Old 28 December 2011, 03:46 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
People who jailbreak don't update and where are all the threads of people saying they had malicious software on thier phone due to a jailbreak??
Jack is right, google iPhone jailbreak virus

The risk is of course low but there nonetheless.
Old 28 December 2011, 08:39 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I've jail broke since the 1st iPhone and never had malicious software.
Old 28 December 2011, 08:43 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

If you jailbreak then obviously you change the default root and user (mobile) passwords through the terminal app. If you don't then yes you are open to hacking and don't know what you are doing.
Old 28 December 2011, 08:43 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Ant
I've jail broke since the 1st iPhone and never had malicious software.
How do you know?
Old 28 December 2011, 08:50 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

See above reply.
Old 28 December 2011, 08:56 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

And I have ssh turned off
Old 28 December 2011, 08:57 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't mind trying to jailbreak my iPhone 4 to see what extra controls it gives, but am I correct in saying that when a jailbroken iPhone is connected to iTunes that it either won't work or iTunes will try and re-install the current 'secure' iOS?

Can anyone recommend a site to download the software, plus where how are apps then installed? Do you download them onto a PC and then install them from there?

Sorry for all the questions but this thread has given me some food for thought.
Old 28 December 2011, 09:00 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Still think its amazing that even after all these years off production the hacker teams are still managing to come up with the goods with regards managing to JB the latest apple FW, surely apple are wise to where the flaws are ?? they bring out updates that could surely be made 99.9% secure from JB and yet time and time again we see the loop hole to JB emerge.

sometimes wonder if its like the antivirus makers who aledgly release a virus to keep the whole scence active and thus encourage folk to keep buying there av software, cant see where apple would benefit from JB but again cant help but feel with there knowledge they could stop any gaps appearing that could make even there latest updates totally secure.

this comes from someone who up till now has JB every iphone I have owned but now think why bother ?? now switched to android but still use an ipad 2 which I think is superb and having used it for a few weeks cant really think why I would want to JB it anyway ??!!

free apps ?? - anything I have found that I wanted for the ipad so far has been available as a free app anyway, 99p apps ??- even us tight scotsmen would be happy enough to spash out a quid on that one anyway !!

again yep did think about jb the ipad when I first got it but then learned that there was not a JB for the ipad2 5.0.1 FW, and like a lot off folk I think the only reason folk do it is because purely because they can !!!

do appreciatte that a lot off users as pointed out above will do it for other reasons than simply being able to install apps obtained other than thru itunes / market etc but thats just my view on the whole scene and again as someone who has JB iphones for years have nothing against folk doing it for whatever reason they choose!!

Last edited by jono300; 28 December 2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 28 December 2011, 09:10 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Ahh you see you fell for the trap of illegal apps.

I've also enabled panorama mode in the camera app thanks to jailbreak.

I mainly use it for sbsettings, visual tweaks, tethering over 3G so i don't have to pay O2 for the privilege.

Look at this tweak , I love it

Old 28 December 2011, 09:18 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I hacked an iPhone just as soon as you could, on the first day in fact, there was no other option for using it in the UK.

Now I can't think of any reason to Jailbreak, SB Settings was useful but now there are shortcuts to those settings. Pirate software isn't my bag and iPhone apps are good value anyhow so that excuse is out. All of my iPhones since the 3G have been carrier unlocked.
Old 28 December 2011, 10:14 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Jack if Apple made access to the hardware like sbsettings does from a simple swipe across the top of the screen I would no longer need to jailbreak but they don't. I don't want to have to go through a load of menus when I can have sbsettings allow me to control the hardware instantly from the homescreen.

Ant what is that mod you have there?
Old 28 December 2011, 10:16 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You can create shortcuts to most settings on your desktop, single click. I know swiping the top of your screen is fancier but getting to the settings via a shortcut is almost as quick.

http://brdrck.me/settings/

Last edited by JackClark; 28 December 2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 28 December 2011, 10:21 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
Jack if Apple made access to the hardware like sbsettings does from a simple swipe across the top of the screen I would no longer need to jailbreak but they don't. I don't want to have to go through a load of menus when I can have sbsettings allow me to control the hardware instantly from the homescreen.

Ant what is that mod you have there?
Search blurriedNC in cydia
Old 28 December 2011, 10:26 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

The only setting I wanted with my iphone was the ability to assign different text message alerts (than the 10 **** ones that come with it: I wanted some INDIVIDUAL ones that defined me from the crowd) - something that could only be done with JB.

On the illegal app aspect, whilst I don't agree with illegal apps, I suspect that in some small way, Jailbreaking has opened Apple up in markets that weren't as accepting as the rest of the world.
Think of things like Nintendo's DS and Wii - easily hackable, and a wide range of games available: Nintendo haven't exactly shut the door on the hackers have they? They've made their money on the buying the hardware (quite similar to Apple) - the software is an added bonus (not that the software developers would agree).
eg, my Wii is hacked, and I've got a home-brew OS on it - and purely so that I can install all of my games onto a HD (thus saving the discs from my unruly kids ).
Yes, games are (VERY) easily downloadable, and I have tried it to see how easy that is. But the newsflash is that my kids like to have the boxes and the instructions etc..... don't get that from a download, so I don't partake in that aspect.

Not saying that it is right or not, but I do feel that Apple haven't exactly done all they can to stop it. After all, if it gets more of their product out there, why should they?

The more concerning thing is the ease in which the phone can be hacked - all available in an idiot-proof app! Not having a dig or troll, as it's the same for Android phones.
But once you know the username/password details, which is a simple find on the net (usually even supplied in the download), it's not exactly rocket science.

As I said, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple are FULLY aware of what's going on, and just let it happen. Even if the phone gets bricked, or hacked etc etc, the user will invariably get another.

Either way, Apple win.

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 28 December 2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 28 December 2011, 10:55 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I have had mine done for about a year, and it looks likevi will be updating today!

I'm still runnin. 3. Something and it's only been recently that I went to dl something and my software wouldn't support it.

I have an app on the ipad called musicbox and I have to admit that been a HUGE change in how I see these devices.
I know there are ways to get music onto an iPhone ipad etc without iTunes, but this app allows you to dl full albums, single tracks, browse popular music etc.

As for corrupt software and viruses, I have never had a problem, the only issue was that some apps were a 'dead end' after dl them, but when you have perhaps 5 sources (usually a safe recognised one) using the same one means you come up trumps.

There are also little tweeks you can do with the winterboard, or perhaps access the springboard on your main screen for your settings, 3G respring options etc.
Old 28 December 2011, 12:55 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Never interested me either. I considered it once just to remove the network lock but decided against it
Old 28 December 2011, 01:42 PM
jtonkins
Scooby Regular

had mine jb for 2 years and was good but after a while i noticed it had hacked my email which i could never retrieve it would not let me update itunes or my phone so it was stuck on 3.0.4 or something like that also hacked my itunes account!! recently lost the phone and have another on the way which is ment to be here today but there is no way i will be jb it again can be more hassle than its worth imo but maybe i was not using it right lol and some people get on with fine but it has put me off doing it again!!
Old 28 December 2011, 11:28 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
You can create shortcuts to most settings on your desktop, single click. I know swiping the top of your screen is fancier but getting to the settings via a shortcut is almost as quick.

http://brdrck.me/settings/
Cheers, not seen that. Still, Apple need to sort out hardware shortcuts from the pull down screen like you can in sbsettings. I don't understand why they wont do it.